Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1950 Ford Club Coupe - my new project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 1, 2018.

1. [​IMG]

I prematurely announced I pulled the trigger last week and had second thoughts after I discovered rust that was my own fault for not doing a thorough in depth inspection.

I decided I needed to talk to my friend and be a man of my word, it's fixable and something that can be fixed in the future.

Rene' & I came to a agreement today and I have the title in my hand.

First things first,I'm going to get the car up in the air & remove the gas tank and have it vatted,then blow out the metal gas lines and replace the rubber hose & filter.

Next I will rebuild the carburetor or replace it depending on what I find and tune it up replacing what it needs and hopefully being it back to life.

I will also check the brakes and service where needed,after I get the car running I need to get some wheels & tires, and adjust the doors,it came with some new latches.

I plan on cleaning,doing some minor repairs & driving the coupe until this winter and then start the rust repair. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  2. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

Really like those Shoeboxes. Good luck with it.

HOTRODPRIMER and 3W JOHN like this.
  3. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I love it when a plan comes together. Glad you got a deal worked out. Now just grab a 1958 R&C magazine, flip the pages to the first shoebox Ford for inspiration and go to town on it. WWW's, 56 Olds Starfire flippers, skirts , lake pipes you name it. I have an old J.C. Whitney catalog if you want to look it over to really jazz it up;) On second thought, don't listen to my silly shit and do what turns you on and drive the hell out of it and have a ball!

4. I'm not keeping the Hildebrand wheels so I need to find some steelies.

What size wheels were originally on these cars? HRP

5. Slopok

Slopok

Some came with 6.70 x 15's and others with 6.00 x 16's. Whatever size is currently on the front of your car now appears to be too small, even if you are goin' for the big & little look!

6. flatford39

flatford39

Really happy you straightened out your mess. That's a pretty nice car and we all know you will do it proud. Congrats. The really hard work has been done in my mind. You just need to clean it up.

hotrodharry2 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. Yes sir,the front wheels are 14" and the rear are 15",thank you for the information. HRP

ladyhrp, 3340 and 3W JOHN like this.
  8. wicarnut

wicarnut

Congrats Again ! Kool !

9. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I'm looking forward to seeing you do your magic.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Glad it all worked out. Have fun and maybe you can get it road worthy and be able to take Rene' for a ride. :) Larry

11. Thank you, picking Rene' up and taking him for lunch is something I am really looking forward to. HRP

Mtn Goat, ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Neat car. I like the club coupes . Looking forward to your tech on what you decide to do. Just like" 5 alive" i need input. I am always ready to learn from one with experience. :cool:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Cool beans! Glad y’all got it worked out. The one in the other thread with the Torque Thrusts on it looked pretty good to me. If you’re planning on steel wheels, at least think about some chrome reverse. Have fun with it!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. I am a complete novice when it comes to shoebox Fords and have a lot to learn but
    I'm really looking forward to getting started on the repairs and making it derivable again. HRP

15. With steel wheels, a rake, big 'n littles and spun aluminum moon discs would be perfect!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. Brenda just happened to be outside her flower shop when we drove by on the way home, HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  17. OK then;), it has happened:D, best of luck with this new car. As I stated before HRP check out the Shoe Box Hambers Social Forums. A lot of technical information there especially the doors and proper alignment and re-building your hinges if need be rather than buying new ones at $200.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. Hombre

Hombre

I know that "slopok" already answered your wheel question, but I just went out and looked at my 50 Ford Coupe and it does in fact have 6.70x15's all the way around. I am pretty sure that the wheels and probably the tires on mine are original.

Glad you finally got this car, it's going to be a blast just you wait and see.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Glad you reloaded and pulled the trigger. Not many "Curb finds" out there. Bob

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. 9927B997-A274-4562-8667-93815E46045D.jpeg For the wheels, Summit has stock-looking ones with the correct bolt pattern. The offset is 3” instead of the original 3 1/2” but it works for me, because the Maverick 8” rear in mine is a tad narrower than original. I think they look good. If you go with semi-cheap radials, 205/75R-15 is close to stock. I used 215/75R-15 Hankooks on mine and I’m happy with the ride, and the look isn’t half bad for radials. Easy on the bank account too.

21. Oh, and my other wheels are red. I painted these Wimbleton White just because.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. I have joined the social forum and have already received helpful information.

I failed to mention that when Rene' bought the car it had the multi pattern chrome reverse wheels,they were at another friends house and I picked them up last night,I was told the rears have a little more offset to the inner body since Gary installed the new rear axle.

I'll have to get it up on a rack and do some measuring and see if a small spacer will help,if not I will look for some steelies,paint color is yet to be decided for the wheels if I go that way.

I also have a set of Cadillac hub caps I have had for more than 30 years that might end up on the coupe. HRP

1947-52-Cadillac-Sombrero-.jpg

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN, catdad49 and 11 others like this.
  23. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Love me a shoebox coupe.
    My '49 tudor had 15" stock wheels. Seen below with firestones and an altitude adjustment. Selling that car may go down as one of the dumbest things I have ever done (so far).

[​IMG]

24. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

See? You bought those Caddy caps for a reason!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. dwollam

dwollam

Mine has stock wheels and 205/75/15 tires. Aerostar front springs, 1 1/2" lowering blocks in the rear on nicely sagging rear springs.

1951 Ford Club Coupe 006.jpg Trailorboat trip to CA 016.jpg

Dave

26. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad it finally worked out Danny. I know Rene must be relieved. Guess you're a Ford man all the way!

27. verde742

verde742

might have to get different wheels for those Cad hubcaps,,, ( think white spoke trailer wheels )

CHEAP, & 5 x 4 1/2 bolt pattern, center is "sunk in"

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  28. You can never......ever go wrong with chrome reverse wheels...just sayin

29. jim snow

jim snow

I'm glad it worked out for both you guys. Get after it so you can take Rene for his ride to lunch. Snowman

lo c dan and flatford39 like this.