Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '34 Ford truck with passenger front sheet metal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Binkman, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Binkman

Binkman

I am looking to do another project for next winter.
    I was looking for '33/'34 sedan delivery with no luck so I will go with "plan B", a '34 p/u with pass. car sheet metal.
    I have a lot of '34 sheet metal already and am looking for any ideas or photo's of similar completed projects.
    I can remember several great examples that were done in the past.
    Does anyone have any photo's or experience with such a project ?
    I am thinking pass. car fenders/grille, etc., 2-door sedan doors, a shortened bed with a very slight chop.

scotts52 likes this.
  2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

[​IMG]
    upload_2018-8-1_19-35-32.png
    Big differences in cowl, hood and side curtains, grill, running boards etc and body attaching
    Ozzie coupe ute?
    [​IMG]

ekimneirbo, 1biggeorge, hfh and 3 others like this.
  3. BJR

BJR

Looks like you would need the cowl from a passenger car to make it work. Would be very cool if you pulled it off.

4. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Trying to meld a 34 car front to a 34 PU cab sounds like a mess to me. You'd be way better off using a Fordor from the center post forward and the rear of a cab from a 35-36. But even that isn't my cup of tea.

5. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I agree that melding the swoopy car front end, cowl and doors to the clunky truck roof, etc will be a mismatch. It'll be tough to not make it look like a hacked off Sedan with a pickup bed.
    If you're going to use pass car sheetmetal all the way through the doors anyway, why not go roadster pickup (ala SAR's 34 RPU body) and use 5 window/4 dr. doors? Might be able to find a reasonable pair that have already had the door tops cut off. Pickup rear panel. Modified open car cowl will be some work. For reference, I believe it was Clark that did a 5/w to roadster conversion on the HAMB converting the cowl and door tops...

6. It would be a lot easier to utilize a '35-'36 cab as that sounds like what you are attempting to emulate. The red Ute that is in Mgtstumpy post is quite extraordinary as it appears to be built off of a 5 Window Coupe with body line extended 1/4 panels. Mgtstumpy, were these actually produced by the Ford Motor Company?

Squablow likes this.
  7. Dirk35

Dirk35

I agree with Hot Rods Ta Hell, it would look weird.

I think if you're doing it to sell just cause you have the spare parts laying around, you'll lose big time as not many people would want either a "33-34 car turned into a pickup", nor a "32-34 style pickup with 33-34 passenger front sheet metal". I cannot think of a single 33-34 Passenger car person that thinks to themselves: "Man, I like the look of this car... but I really wish it had a pickup bed on it". I think you'll have a really tough time selling it.

However, if you're doing it because it' always been your dream to have a pickup with 33-34 Passenger front sheet metal, then follow your dreams man and do it.

Speedy Canuck likes this.
  8. goldmountain

goldmountain

Some time ago, Street Rodder ran a series of articles on a truck called the "Tubester" that had passenger car sheet metal with a pickup cab. They sloped the posts and angled them in to help with the discrepancy of the shapes and IMHO, didn't work. Look for a similar vintage Dodge pickup instead. These use passenger car front sheet metal, have suicide doors, and look great.

RDR, Hnstray and 56premiere like this.
  9. SlowandLow51

SlowandLow51

I believe that was built by Ron Covell.

10. It was owned by Mike Cooper, not sure that Ron Covell had a hand in creating it.

Mick

11. ...here's one made out of a 34 sedan...
    models cedarville 10 001.jpg models cedarville 10 020.jpg models cedarville 10 002.jpg

12. Squablow

Squablow

I'm with Warhorseracing, I think this could be done with a 35/36 cab which is much more similar to the 33/34 Ford car, the shape of the cowl and the angle of the windshield looks like it'd mesh up a lot easier, not to mention the '35 truck rear fenders look a lot like 33/34 coupe.

I definitely think a truck could be neat with the 33/34 car front end, the one above looks good, I just question the use of a same-year cab which is kinda boxy and much more similar to a '32.

49ratfink likes this.
  13. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

6DD4F9B2-BE24-498B-93BE-9B6F8DAADFCA.jpeg
    Yes

Hnstray and Stogy like this.
  14. I wonder why the US market never got them? The Ranchero came out in '55 and sold well. The market would have been there with all of the; coupe, sedans, and two door conversions that were done in the backyards/farmyards to convert into trucks.

15. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

The idea for the ute stems from one of practicality. The concept is alleged to have been sparked from a letter written by the wife of a farmer from Gippsland, Victoria, in 1932 to Ford Motors in Geelong. “Why don't you build people like us a vehicle to go to church in on Sunday, and which can carry our pigs to market on Monday?” she asked.

Lew Bandt, a 22-year-old South Australian engineer working for Ford, responded by drawing up a ‘coupe utility’ model. By modifying a Model T, Bandt’s innovation provided for an enclosed comfortable cabin at the front and a wooden tray on the back. Two years later in 1934, the first Australian ute rolled off the factory floor. Dubbed ‘the Kangaroo chaser’ when presented abroad, it was an instant success among farmers and quickly became an Australian classic and a staple of automakers’ factory floors. Although Australia can’t claim to have invented the first ute, it did combine a more stylish, comfortable and roomier cabin with a light truck body. Even foreign cars that weren’t initially designed as such were reconstructed into utes for the Australian market.

16. mikeymike

mikeymike

The first Ranchero debuted 1957.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. mikeymike

mikeymike

Looks very good.
    There is a company in Sweden, Kvarnbergs, that produce a cab like that in glass.

Don’t think it would work using a pickup cab together with 33/34 passenger front.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. I knew that:confused:, fat finger typist.:eek:

19. Thank you Sir for the history this morning. As far as practicality it would seem that a lot of areas would have benefitted by increased sales of vehicles had it been produced out of Australia. Appalachians would have most likely been buyers, haul through the week and go to church in style on Sunday. I wonder if old Henry knew what was going on?

20. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

P&J's catalogue has a drawing of a pu with car sheet metal. They are calling it the California Kid Truck.

21. A Boner

A Boner

Cut up a roached out 4 door to build the cab.

22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah I’ve seen some photos of it. It insanely nice

23. Binkman

Binkman

Thank you for that info.
    The proportions of that truck work.

Attached Files:

24. This cab is still available in the for sale ads.

Phil

25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Good gawd man, have you no decency!

Hnstray, Stogy and Bandit Billy like this.
  26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's twue, it's twue!

I like visual aids, what can I say?

charleyw and Stogy like this.
  27. steel3window

steel3window
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here are a few shots from a show in Roseburg, Oregon in 2013. The owner made it from a 2 door sedan that was damaged right across the rear passenger area. I really liked how he used the rear porton of the Tudor with the subtle curve at the bottom rather than being a flat back.

If you had a Fordor, it would also be possible to do by using the rear quarter windows for an extra-cab or 5 window type look.

Attached Files:

28. verde742

verde742

In the mid "60, there was a '32-'34 Cab pickup on House of Hardtop Used Car lot in Portland , Ore. with passenger car front fender, hood and grille . Gawd IT WAS UGLY..

probably somewhere STILL for sale. it was teal colored,
    I still see it, awful, and hard to forget !!!! warped my mind.

I have seen several '33-34 coupes or sedans with '35-36 cab parts, bed parts, look really good tho..

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    Bandit Billy likes this.