Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects HOT ROD DOOR PANELS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jeremy Clarkson would call it a gun pouch for US petrol heads, whatever you stick in them it would be handy in that little car to have some extra storage. I am very glad I added the glove box, I have only driven the car 60 miles but I use that glove box every time for my Raybans and my garage door openers.

dana barlow likes this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I thought glove boxes were where you stashed your hooch!

Dino 64 likes this.
  3. upspirate

upspirate

I've had the pockets on 2 different roadsters and found them very useful.
    Actually after the first one, that's why I had them added to the second

4. Nope, under the seat. 'Distilled overdrive... four on the floor and a fifth under the seat...' LOL

Bandit Billy likes this.
  5. oldsman41

oldsman41

The third one in your original picture is almost identical to mine except the color.

6. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

my old school 40 Ford with bob drake armrests that have a door pull built in, carpet on bottom 2015-02-20 05.42.58.jpg 2015-02-20 05.39.45.jpg

7. I use my map pocket for Toll Tag, Garage door opener, sunglasses, Phone holder, etc. That doesn't mean I want to try and make them again. After doing the driver side, the passenger side didn't get one.

Next time I will try to build something on the front of the seat bottom, either under my knees or behind the shifter.

dana barlow and Bandit Billy like this.
  8. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

here are the pockets that I had put in the front edge of the seat. You don't hardly see them in the car.

richards camera 1331.JPG

9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keeping a picture of that one! That is along the line of what I was thinking.

10. Old farts like me have none of the above. Map pockets are good for registration, insurance and MAPS.

TagMan likes this.
  11. papadaddio

papadaddio
    from Minnesota

NEAT !

12. atch

atch

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks @atch
    I don't see a lot of carpeted door panel bottoms in these photos. I suppose with suicide doors I wont kick them likely, I am concerned though with the drivers side front kick panel. Like the name implies, I can see my foot kicking that panel especially as tight as the clutch pedal is over there. If I carpet the lower half of the kick I may have to run a strip down the panel to make it look cohesive.

Okay, handles. As Amazon promised I received my door handles yesterday. I deviated from the 33 style handles that we discussed on the previous page and went with a door handle that was a popular accessory on VW's. They are chrome plated and spring loaded so they don't flop about. I also like the flatness to them, they fit the streamline contours of the door better I think. Oh, and the mounting hardware is hidden when the handle is down. Anyway, I installed them last night and here is a pic or two.
    upload_2018-8-1_10-2-0.png
    I fit them so there is a bit of a waterfall design of the handles from the grab handle to the lower window crank and the door latch handle. Don't be concerned with the spacing on that window crank, they are electric switches so they only move 15 degrees to raise and lower the glass.

With the glass down there is a substantial pocket in these doors that a lot of people use for speakers. I am thinking a I could create what appears on the surface to be a shallow map pocket with a flap but in actuality it would be quite deep when opened.

14. If it doesn't clash with the interior style, I sort of prefer guitar case handles of this type for door pulls rather than the metal hoops.

guitar case handles.jpg

chop job, mgtstumpy and Bandit Billy like this.
  15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So here it a rough rendering that I was just playing with. Where the grey line denotes the darker brown leather I am using on the seat, the olive represents the lighter distressed leather color pleated to match the inset on the seat and the white line is of course the map pocket shown over the door pocket. The color of that pocket is likely the darker distressed leather with a belt loop closure that is actually magnetic.
    upload_2018-8-1_11-22-24.png
    In this design I think carpet is too much. The map pocket is forward of the seat and it would mirror the seat design. Thoughts? I don't like leaving things to chance. Plan your work, work your plan.

kidcampbell71 and mgtstumpy like this.
  16. And if you can fold a map, bonus points !

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Lost art.

milwscruffy likes this.
  18. You young whippersnappers are ruining "tradition"...:rolleyes:

Speedwrench likes this.
  19. Muttley

Muttley

My Comet............

Comet Interior 2.JPG

20. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

...and a 6pack in da back.

21. Another simple approach on a later model car. 1956 Chevy

door panel.JPG

Joemama, 40FORDPU, brigrat and 2 others like this.
  22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love the 2 tone panels, simple and very cool

23. fergusonic

fergusonic
    from Kokomo, In

24. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

My 28A roadster is a little smaller then stock,do too floor is moved up about 6in. I do find the pocket with sunglasss an flashlight,plus other junk very handy! I also made storage under an behind seat. The body is bobtailed{no trunk=it was crushed when I got it,so cut off the mess an used the good part.
    017.JPG

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  25. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

What I'm shooting for with my 46 Olds. From this below to stock OEM :eek: INterior2-Olds.jpg
    Trim-.jpg
    upload_2018-8-2_8-29-9.png

upload_2018-8-2_8-31-2.png

26. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

27. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Here are a few of the Door Panels I've done.

1. '49 Chevy Sedan
    2. '62 Ford Fairlane
    3. '32 Ford 3-Window
    4. '50 Chevy 3100

IMG_1151.JPG Interior Side.JPG Driver Int..JPG DSCN0428.JPG

kidcampbell71 and Bandit Billy like this.
  28. I consider my '40 more of a mild custom, than a Hot Rod, but regardless I like rolled and pleated and simple.
    IMG_1848.JPG

30. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Not a hot rod and its a terrible picture but I made these panels for our wagon myself. Still need new armrests as the originals were to far gone to re use. Also made kick panels to match, hope to do the seats eventually. 20180312_101518.jpeg

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app