Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Electrical gremlin-Need some advice

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by voodookustoms, Jul 31, 2018.

1. I have installed a rebel wiring kit a few years ago in my 52 ford. It’s has worked great, and have not had any electrical issues until now.
    My brake lights and turn signals do not work. The tail lights come on when the headlights are on, and both filaments in the bulb appear to be intact. As soon as I use the blinker I will blow the fuse. So I’m thinking there has got to be a short somewhere. I recently had the rocker panels replaced and am thinking my wires that run through them got melted in the process. But, these rockers don’t have the access windows on top like originals. The only way to inspect the wires are to pull them all through the bottom of the firewall before they go back to the fuse panel. Before I go through all that, I wanted to ask if there is something I could be missing? Could the turn signal switch be causing this? I bought it new from Mooneyes a few years ago.
    Thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. upspirate

upspirate

Sounds like you hit the 2 sources of the problem on the head.....switch and wiring to the rear that got welded near.
    Check the easy one first

voodookustoms likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

disconnect the wire from the switch, measure the resistance from the wire to ground...remove the bulb first, though.

rfraze, Johnny Gee and voodookustoms like this.
  4. BJR

BJR

If they worked before the new rockers, and didn't immediately after it's got to be in the rockers.

5. But now that I think about it more, the turn signal switch would not effect the brake lights coming on at all right? Even though it uses the same bright filament in the bulb.

6. The brake light circuit goes through the turn signal switch, so it could be a problem in the switch.

Tie a string to the wires before you pull them out; it'll make reinstalling much easier....

54vicky, pitman, DBruce and 1 other person like this.
  7. I’ll try this first thanks. This would tell me which wire has the short right?

rfraze likes this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

yes, it should tell you which wire has the short.

9. Ya that seems to be what happened. I haven’t been driving a lot before they had it, so I can’t say for sure, but I think I would have noticed driving it to their shop.

10. Definitely will tie a string to the end.
    Thanks for all the quick replies. Great forum.

11. squirrel

squirrel

There could be a short inside the switch, or more likely, the wire to the switch. But go with the more likely thing first...disconnect the wire that goes through the rocker at both ends, then measure the resistance to ground and see if it has a short. If it's not shorted, try wiggling it and see if that makes it short.

12. This sounds like a solid plan. That way I can know for sure without having to pull all the wires through. Thank you.

13. If I found a short in even one wire, I'd still pull them all to look at them...

14. I’ll have to. They’re all bundled together. Just a good way to troubleshoot before I pull the whole bundle out the front of the car.

15. squirrel

squirrel

I'd also think about running them where they're easier to get to....although it's not very "custom". But who can see under the car, anyways?

16. sunbeam

sunbeam

Turn signals and brake lights mostly use the same wiring do you blow the fuse when hitting the brakes?

Hnstray and voodookustoms like this.
  17. Ya that’s true. I might make it easier once I find the problem.

18. Good point. No, only when using the blinkers. Both left and right will cause it to blow.

19. I ran the wires to the back of my Ford right next to the driveshaft tunnel and out under the back seat into the trunk. This is how the OG wire harness went so I followed suit and picked up most of the attachment points to the floor. If you are on the industrious side, you may consider it. The bundle wasn't that many wires.

20. Rebel harness should have separate fuses for the brake lights and signals. If you are blowing the signal fuse; but not the brake light fuse; I would do more testing before pulling the harness from the rocker.

Since the rear brake/signal wires are common from the switch outward and since you didn't mention it as being a right or left only problem and you have an aftermarket switch, I would start there in testing.

If you jump the fuse with a light bulb, it will save blowing a bunch of fuses while testing.

squirrel, Hnstray and voodookustoms like this.
  21. sunbeam

sunbeam

If you are not blowing the brake fuse I would look at the turn signal switch even at that the flasher should act as a curcuit breaker.

22. Good advice guys. Thanks. I’ll start by trying a new turn signal switch. Makes sense that it would be that since the brakes don’t blow the fuse.

23. squirrel

squirrel

I'd do some ohm meter testing of the switch and inspect the wires carefully, before just buying a new switch...

24. sunbeam

sunbeam

Also remember turn signals use wiring going to the front that brake lights don't use. Does it care which side blows the fuse?

upspirate and voodookustoms like this.
  25. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

In my 40 I have gone through 4 or 5 of the 'small chrome' turn signal switches, for awhile I was changing almost every year, with the problems you mentioned. I used them because they looked hot rod. But I have ended up using the big bulky black parts house switch. They a a bit more ugly but they last.

26. Nope. It will do it with either side.

27. [​IMG] this is the type I’m using. Cheap Chinese crap but it does look cool. Only other good looking option I’ve seen was from lime works for $150. I’m sure it’s a nice switch, but I can’t justify paying that much for one. I would happily do $30-$50 for a good quality switch. It seems like these $20 switches just aren’t made to last unfortunately.

28. I think if there was an issue with your rocker repair it would have showed up pretty soon after. So I'd look at the TS switch a little closer, also replace the flasher just to rule it out.

29. sunbeam

sunbeam

Try taking it off the column and see if it blows the fuse I'm thinking it's shorted to the case.

bobss396 likes this.
  30. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Only other good looking option I’ve seen was from lime works for $150. I’m s

I believe this switch is just a Chinese you know what with a nice billet cover

[​IMG]
    This is from Jeggs, a bit better in construction and about $36.00