Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Batwing Air Cleaner de oil bathing

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by spillaneswillys, Jul 29, 2018.

1. I acquired this Cadillac Batwing and want to install a modern air filter. Before I start hacking I am looking for some guidance on how to proceed. This is the base and it looks to me like I need to take out the angled piece, does not look like fun!
    thanks,
    Joe batwing.jpeg

2. egads

egads

This is Cadillac batwing air cleaner, what you have is just a standard AC oil bath air cleaner. You can take a 10" Mr. Gasket air filter base and get a tall 10" filter and set your top on it. Don't know why everyone call's your style a batwing[​IMG]

Deuces and X38 like this.
  3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I just put the top over a open element air cleaner.

falconsprint63 and egads like this.
  4. Koz

Koz

I've done a few where I just picked up a standard 14" filter available anywhere, cut the Caddy bottom out to fit the base and tigged it in. Put the lid on the filter with a 1/4-20 coupling nut to hold it and put the caddy top on. You hold the caddy lid with an appropriate length 1/4-20 threaded rod and a wingnut. You can use the stocker if you have it. They are 1/4-20. The aftermarket filter base goes right on your carb, no adapters needed.

I've also seen them done with a K&N filter used inside and a foam gasket to seal the top. Never did one that way though, so I have no idea of what filter is used.

5. Deuces

Deuces

Them things are freakin' cool...

6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

They look expensive too, if you need one and don't have it?

7. oldolds

oldolds

You can buy a nice daily driver car for less than some guys want for that air cleaner.
    As far as the air cleaner asked about, just put the top over a regular air cleaner base. As said above.

clunker, egads and Truck64 like this.
  8. Deuces

Deuces

I was checking the price on some repros.... $2600.00...:confused:
    No I don't need one.... But they do look cool..... :cool:

Truck64 and egads like this.
  9. Deuces

Deuces

10. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

The one item under the hood of a 57 Chevy that looks better overrestored than in it's semi gloss factory finish. Ralphie

Deuces and Truck64 like this.
  11. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Chrysler Batwings break over $4000.... Eeeek!

I put a K & N air filter in a 1938 Cadillac oil bath air cleaner. It was very easy to do.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Caddy Air Cleaner 002 (Small).jpg Caddy Air Cleaner 002 (Small).jpg Caddy Air Cleaner 003 (Small).jpg Caddy Air Cleaner 001.jpg Caddy Air Cleaner 004 (Small).jpg Caddy Air Cleaner 006 (Small).jpg Caddy Air Cleaner 005 (Small).jpg yes, know that is not the true batwing but, is commonly called a batwing by those not properly informed - just helps answer question by OP long ago

falconsprint63 likes this.
  13. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry