Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Interesting comments when stopped for the light

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 28, 2018.

1. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was at a stoplight in my custom 36 Ford Cabriolet when a car full of wanna be gangbangers pulled up next to me. They asked me what year my whip was and told me how smooth it was and how much they liked it. Out of the back seat I heard a voice say "with a car like that I could get all the women I want". The guy in the front seat turned around and said "you stupid m***** f*****. Even with a whip like that you couldn't get your ugly a** laid" and then he reached back and smacked him alongside the head. I took the whole conversation as a compliment.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    woodz, Atwater Mike, scott27 and 4 others like this.
  2. This goes back about 40 years but I was sitting at a traffic light and a lady in a convertible Mustang looked over and said, "I like your dune buggy "
    I was so dumbfounded with her statement I was at a loss for words and said, Thank you"

This is what I was driving that day. HRP

[​IMG]

woodz, scott27, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  3. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I was blasting James Cotton on my stereo at a stoplight when a Alameda County sheriff pulls along side, I turned it down, sheriff says “ hey ! what the hell , turn it up!” I did.

4. 59Tele

59Tele

Cruising with my brother in his '51 Cadillac hearse, stopped at a light, lady pulls up and says "Is that, is that a HEARSE?" "No, lady, it's a Cadillac station wagon".

Decades later same brother gets stopped on Rt84 in Conn doing 91 blasting back to Maine after attending the Carlisle show. Cop says "Do you know why I stopped you?" Brother says "I suspect it wasn't for impeding the flow of traffic". Cop laughed and wrote him a warning.

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the most interesting comment I ever got while driving an old cars was "WHAT THE HELL KIND OF CAR IS THAT?"" while driving my 61 Dodge.

Copy of Scan1614.jpg

6. pumpman

pumpman

I took my 32 to get some beer and when I parked at the store a lady parked next to me and when she got out looked at me and asked if I built that? I said yes and then she said Why?

7. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Not at a stop light but stopped by the lights. Back in the 80's I had to go to the big city(Columbus, Ohio) to see my Dad in the hospital. I was driving my old Chevy pick-up that had "mufflers" made out of well casing and tail pipes out the back made out of driveshafts. It was a little on the loud side to say the least. I didn't know the area too well and found myself in a right turn lane and had to goose it pretty good to get over to the left. I must have scared the hell out of women and children and 1 cop for at least 3 city blocks and got stopped by one of the cities finest. After checking out my license and registration he asked me what kind of mufflers I had on this thing. I said I had no idea, what ever the muffler shop put on it. He took his night stick and got down and banged on one of the so called mufflers, it sounded like some one rang a church bell. I told him where I was going and didn't know the area and had to get over to go straight through the intersection and I was not trying to be a smart ass. He must have bought my story or maybe it was close to his shift change but he let me go with out a ticket. I felt pretty bad about stretching the truth a little but I got over it.;)

8. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in the mid 60s in Oklahoma City, it was a constant point of irritation for those of us who lived on the low income southside and had the fastest and coolest cars that we built ourselves still had to put up with the northside rich kids in their factory "hot rods". One of our favorite things to do was pull up alongside one of the Northsiders in his brand new Chevelle or Vette that Daddy bought him at a stop light. The sight of 2 or 3 southside Greasers hanging out the windows of Ralph Towe's Lincoln flatty powered 37 International or Mike Crow's 327 powered 32 Chevy coupe pointing at the new Chevy and yelling, "Parts, Parts" would generally unnerve the driver and cause him to leave the area.

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I was cruising around in my T Bucket, one Sunday. Sitting at a light, I hear a really nice muffler tone approaching. The car pulls next to me and it's a couple guys in a Ferrari. The driver rolls down his window and asks, "Did you build that?" To which I replied, "Yes." He says, "Nice job!" and as the light changes and we both pull off, I get the "thumbs up". I smiled for quite a while after that. It just felt good that a couple guys in a $100,000 sports car would take the time to acknowledge a Hot Rod. I guess deep inside, car guys come in all flavors.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    woodz, scott27, HOTRODPRIMER and 10 others like this.
  10. 33 cdan man

33 cdan man

I was sitting behind my car at a show a few years ago. It misses the HAMB age requirement by one year. Very shiny black with red interior. This young lady spent quite a bit of time admiring the car. Finally she walks back and asked if this was my car. I replied yes it was. After a few moments of silence she says " if this was mine, I would have an orgasm and smoke a cigarette". THE best compliment I've ever had!!!!

11. In Detroit, Flint or Lansing we would assume that this was a carjacking......

12. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I am afraid if that happened to me the dude would have a pistol stuck in his nose before he could blink.

13. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Stopped in traffic on Power Tour this year in some small southern town, I’m in my 37 Chevy in a line of new Camaros. A kid, about five, standing on the sidewalk with his dad stares at us for a minute before pointing at me and hollering “that’s not kosher!”

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. raymay

raymay

Being acknowledged for your builds is always a good feeling. The nicest complements are when someone tells me my creations look factory. Over the years the 56 ElCamino turned up all over the internet and draws a lot of attention whenever I drive it to Michigan to visit Family. Recently I traveled to Michigan with my 3 Grandsons in my latest designed build a late model Camaro Station Wagon I call the Nomaro. An auto transport trucker gave us a big thumbs up and stayed close behind on the Ohio Turnpike for over an hour. He followed us into a rest stop and we had a nice conversation about the car. He said I was the talk of the Turnpike between the truckers who spotted the car or were looking for us along the route. When we left he was outside taking more photos and the boys spotted others taping us as we drove away. I think they loved the attention more than me. The next couple days the boys were taking car pictures at cruise nights, going through my car magazines, checking out my toy collection and drawing up their own design ideas. I enjoy trying to be creative but I love the way my Children and now my Grandchildren see me like I was some kind of super hero.

MRTS33, woodsnwater, scott27 and 3 others like this.
  15. I tell them the same thing and give them the name of the town as well.

I had one guy last week at a gas station ask if my car ('59 Ford) was a Skylark. I told him he knows his old cars cold.

scott27 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. My aunt had one... 6 banger and 3 on the tree. She drove it up to 1972 and traded it in on a new Dart.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. Irvan

Irvan

My favorite was the old lady we stopped to let pass at a pedestrian crossing downtown. We were in the Corvair vert with the top down and she looked up and said she had a car like that years ago. I smiled and then she said "it was a piece of sh*t and yours probably is too"

scott27, Old-Soul, hidez57 and 10 others like this.
  18. OzyRodder

OzyRodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stranger-"What year is it?"
    Me- "32!"
    Stranger "NINETEEN 32?"

19. I kind of like these old Mopars, but I think people started asking this question in 1962. :rolleyes:

20. Daron Craig

Daron Craig

hahahahahah DUDE. I literally busted out laughing when I read this. I'm going to have to do this next time I'm in my chevelle.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

The reactions I get are interesting to say the least, and vary according to which hot rod I'm in.
    My '31A Hiboy is in your face loud, with a fairly radical engine and no doubts from anyone that it's a hot rod. My '40 Ford coupe is almost stock looking and sounding till you nail it.
    With the '40 people look and smile, with their expression showing they think "That's a nice looking old car."
    With the Hiboy it's one of 2 reactions, from those for whom a car is something only for transport from "A" to "B", it's usually a curled lip of contempt for such a noisy beast of a gas waster. But, as said I get reactions from car guys and gals of thumbs up, photos taken, shouts of "COOL. Man", etc.
    And quite a few invitations to stop light runs. But this is a small town and if a complaint would get called in on me the results wouldn't be much fun.
    As it is the cops just smile and wave also, but they could write me all sorts of tickets if they so desired, and I try to behave in town.

HOTRODPRIMER, deadbeat and jim snow like this.
  22. wicarnut

wicarnut

I enjoy and take it as a compliment, all the comments even the silly ones and the thumbs up are appreciated also. I guess I've been Lucky again, typing this, don't remember any Asshat comments, sure their was a few, never been harassed by the law, usually thumbs up from them. ( not that I never got a ticket/speeding that I earned/deserved) This summer I've been driving my OT Camaro Ragtop, fewer thumbs up than the Mercury, the 32, or the Roadster, but still having fun, enjoying the ride/travels, Life is Good !

23. About 20 years ago I was at a stop light one afternoon on Ellis St. at Taylor in San Francisco (a notorious red-light district). I looked to my left and saw a guy at the wheel of a Ford Explorer with underinflated Firestone tires that had been recalled. He was driving one handed and was smoking using his left hand which he was dangling out the window. All factors added together were a sum of unbelievably high risk. Bad neighborhood+Explorer+tires+smoking. I'm sure he had no idea and probably didn't care. Good luck I thought when the light changed.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. Im used to the usual comments when cruising in my 33 pickup, like the "what year?" or "nice truck" etc. The oddest one I have ever had was actually cruising in my 68 Camaro. I had an older lady pull up next to me at a light and tell me that her kids were conceived in the backseat of a Camaro just like mine. I never though I would ever hear that from someone at a light.

HOTRODPRIMER and wicarnut like this.
  25. I was sitting at a stoplight on the main drag in Hollywood one night in my brand new 427 Ford. A '62 T-bird rolls up next to me and the passenger says "Fords don't go". Snickering to myself I prepare to show him some smoke and taillights. Well, after he blew my doors off, I never saw him again. Must have been some rich playboy. In my defense though, I had 6 adults in the car and 3.50 gears. Still, ......................:oops::oops::oops:

26. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

At one time I had a '64 Falcon Ranchero (just under the HAMB friendly wire) with '64 Comet front sheet metal. It's a perfect fit. I got a lot of puzzled looks by folks with obviously enough car knowledge to know something was different. I would either say it's a Comenchero or it's Canadian. Got several comments back to the effect of "Oh yeah, I remember those."

Lee

Boneyard51 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  27. Should have said Eighteen thirty two- that would have confused them!

HOTRODPRIMER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  28. Some yahoo leans over at a light and asks "what's making that sound"? We were sort of between buildings and I had glass packs on the car. I figure between the almost no mufflers and the cam I offended his ears.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. I tell people ridiculous things at times when they ask about my '59 Ford, an odd car in its own right.
    "Yeah, its a 1958 Nash Commander Hawk with the 392 Hemi and Dynaflow" is a good one. Then they ask if I'm the original owner, I say yes, got it for my 4th birthday.

HOTRODPRIMER, Deuces and 31hotrodguy like this.
  30. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Chuck,
    Your story was a classic scenario. "Lets see what... " But, that '62 T-Bird wasn't RED with those swoopy head rests was it? My friend had borrowed his mom's red Thunderbird for a night of cruising around. His 62 409 Biscayne was back at his house resting. Actually, he was still learning how to speed shift his 4 speed and did not feel up to cruising a long distance. He was not ready for a confrontation anywhere. Yet...

So, he got his mom's red T-bird and we ended up in Hollywood, Sunset and the area streets just driving around. He was familiar with this car and occasionally stomped on it, just for practice at the stop lights. One of the things we taught him was to read the stop lights. Most of them were within a blink of an eye in coordination. (One goes out, one comes on, etc. It got down to just reading and timing for the quick starts. )
    upload_2018-7-31_4-45-49.png
    Junji

Oddly enough, his only "stomp" that cruise night was against a car load of teenagers. Could it have been??? Naaahh, that would be very strange, a "Twilight Zone" episode for sure.

Yes, he eventually did learn to speed shift his 4 speed 409 Biscayne. It was so fast/scary sounding . So, no one wanted anything to do with that fast red Biscayne. (except for me and my Impala.) I knew how to psych him out at the start and win an abbreviated race with "red taillights showing" for the win in the Cherry Avenue 1/4 mile. It was probably an 1/8th mile for the win. I knew the Impala could not last the whole 1/4 against this 409 beast. Teenagers, those classic episodes take us back for many memories.
    upload_2018-7-31_4-37-37.png