Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 55 desoto grille

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by flatheadfreakv8, Jul 29, 2018.

1. flatheadfreakv8

flatheadfreakv8

I bought a box full of 55 desoto grille parts
    and I am trying to make a custom grille for
    my 49 ford. I have 2 sets of marker lights and 2 sets of teeth. But I think I’m missing
    a piece for the marker lights, they don’t seem to bolt up quite right. Any pictures or help is much appreciated. IMG_1150.JPG IMG_1151.JPG IMG_1153.JPG IMG_1154.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. I have a complete one of those. I believe your missing a signal light housing. I'll go look and post you a photo from the back side.
    The Wizzard

flatheadfreakv8 and Pinstriper40 like this.
  3. flatheadfreakv8

flatheadfreakv8

Thanks that would be great

4. I was wrong about a signal light housing but you are right about something missing. I can't see enough of the back side of your Grill to tell if you have the inside support bar. This black and rusty unit you see goes from end to end in one piece.
    20180729_121209.jpg It's actually the Frame Work that supports everything. Just bolting the Teeth to the S.S. cover makes for a pretty unstable grill unit. Here is what it looks like around the signal units. It's open on the bottom.
    20180729_121229.jpg

Attached Files:

Hnstray likes this.

5. flatheadfreakv8

flatheadfreakv8

I see what I’m missing now. Looks like they cut the ends off my main frame piece. I have the stainless and teeth but looks like I will have to find another inner structure or fab up something similar. Thanks a lot for the pictures and help.

Hnstray likes this.
  6. No problem, glad I could help out.

7. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I appreciate the pictures also I have a 55 Desoto Grill also and now I know why it looked so odd when I was trying to place it on my Chevy.

8. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I have a 54 grille that is missing the internal support piece as well. It's going to be tedious to fabricate, but it made the grille really cheap!