Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '27 Roadster Build.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Texas36, Aug 29, 2015.

1. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Looking good !! Mr MAD Fish did you Great!! Would sure like to see this little baby in real life.
    Great Job on the build !! Been Watching! You know down the road is the Round Up coming....

Texas36 likes this.
  2. Thanks, I live by the motto “fake it till you make it” Haha The car will be at the roundup.... in 2019... ill just be a spectator this year if I do end up going. The moonshine run In San Antonio this October is my goal!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. No updates right now, been taking care of some other commitments and slowly gathering the parts to rebuild the flathead. Although I DID score this lightly used ‘57 chrysler industrial 331! [​IMG][​IMG] Ive never opened up a 60 year old motor and saw a lifter valley that looked like this one. It will be a father son build with my dad sometime in the future

Tim, kiwijeff, kidcampbell71 and 10 others like this.
  4. Pulled the tin can sleeves out of my block and found a crack in one of the bores. Looks like I cant avoid the machine shop forever... [​IMG]

5. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not trying to hi-jack your post. I remember seeing an article in HotRod once on a guy in England and his 27 roadster. He worked for the company who builds and maintains the English royal family's horse drawn coaches. All the finish on them is brushed with no marks showing so he thought he could do the same on his 27. The close-ups of his car didn't show any marks at all. I guess if you do it for a living, you learn all the tricks. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking what you did at all. As a matter of fact, I think it's pretty darned cool. I just bought a 46 Merc that someone brush painted sometime back in the 60s. The fellow I bought it from was smart enough to shoot a clear over it and I'm thinking seriously about leaving it like that.

Attached Files:

brEad, TexasSpeed and Texas36 like this.
  6. [​IMG]
    Updates coming soon

7. Looking forward to that. :cool::cool: JW

Texas36 likes this.
  8. The valve seats were wore out on the engine so we decided to put new ones in ourselves rather than pay the machine shop extra to do it. I ground down the old valves to fit inside the seats, then my dad welded the old valve to the seat in the block effectively shrinking them enough to fall out. [​IMG]
    Its a scary looking process but does no harm to the block. All the heat from welding is focused on the old seat, the block is only warm to the touch. [​IMG][​IMG] the new seats hammered in with ease. Next is to get the pedals where I want them so we can pull the engine and send it off to the machine shop.

9. Also, I found the serial number on the block and much to my surprise it is infact a ‘42 Merc. Block

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  10. [​IMG][​IMG] I repurposed the model A running board brackets that I took off the frame to make a mount for my gas tank. Ill have to make some real straps to hold it, but I think it will work out. Or at least I hope...

11. [​IMG] and lastly the doors close now. Im a terrible welder FYI, especially on paper thin sheet metal but they are stiff enough

12. Cool !!!:cool::cool: JW

Texas36 likes this.
  13. RonBulmer

RonBulmer

Back yard brother and a tarp is all you need it is amazing what you can get done with a dream and some tools

Texas36 likes this.
  14. We took about 4” out of the lower shaft of the pedal arms and pie cut the top elbow for a better pedal angle then tig welded everything back together. A lot less headache than I thought the pedals were going to be. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

ChuckleHead_Al, AndersF, OFT and 2 others like this.
  15. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Looking Good Man !! I like !! Looks like you have it dialed in...

Texas36 likes this.
  16. Thanks man, i think its going to work out well!

17. Theres talk of a possibility that TROG will have an event on Galveston Island which is an hour south of me. Ive got plenty of motivation now to get the T going so I can race! Next up is to pull the motor and trans so I can send it off to the machine shop

OFT and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  18. TROG is coming to my backyard and my motor passed the magnaflux test at the machine shop, its build thrash time!

Tim, brEad, barrnone50 and 4 others like this.
  19. Go get em!!:cool::D JW

Texas36 likes this.
  20. GO MAN GO !!!

Texas36 likes this.
  21. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

Food for thought on your clutch connection. What ever you take out on the throw of your clutch pedal you should add a little to your arm on your bell housing to make up for the loss of leverage. I hate a hard clutch that doesn’t need to be. Keep it up I’m loving the progress! Here’s mine i built. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Tim, kiwijeff, Shadow Creek and 9 others like this.
  22. Good point, thanks for the advice! Beautiful car too you hit the nail on the head

23. I gotta give my dad all the credit for this one. Originally I was going to make a simple steel column drop for the car but he had a cooler idea involving aluminum... [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] those holes up top will be for my SW Temp gauge and oil pressure. the plate that covers the center hole will be for my ignition. Im going with a push button to feel cool lol

kiwijeff, Tim, treb11 and 7 others like this.
  24. [​IMG] A couple WW2 era rifle slings work well for the tank hold down

kiwijeff, OFT, brEad and 4 others like this.
  25. [​IMG] I also recovered the bus seat in some green canvas

26. All very cool:cool::) JW

Texas36 likes this.
  27. RonBulmer

RonBulmer

Bus seat what a great idea the seat sits nice and low

Texas36 likes this.
  28. Dylan Pelton

Dylan Pelton

Love where the car is going, great job! Maybe I missed it but I saw you broke the T spring, what did you end up doing for a rear spring? Your car sits great! This is my 27 TROG beater. IMG_9082.JPG

29. Thanks! I got the seat courtesy of @ChuckleHead_Al . It will sit slightly higher when I put the floor under it

30. Thanks! I think I forgot to mention it. A buddy of mine gave me a spare T spring he had. I didnt repeat my stupidity with the replacement haha your car is awesome! Its been my dream to go to Wildwood but it was always too far. Maybe one day though

26 T Ford RPU likes this.