Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can we delete some banter and constant off topic commentary.

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Gary Reynolds, Jul 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OBVIOUSLY I enjoy posting and viewing the Days Gone By Thread, many HAMB'ers do.
    5242 pages tells me it's liked.
    Lately it's become a thread full of banter between a few members, back and forth, endless off topic attempts at "humor" and mostly from guys who never post automotive PICTURES. We need some commentary, but.......NOT THAT MUCH!
    And please, delete the European stuff, I know we have international members, but AMERICAN cars are the focus.
    Thanks guys! REALLY still enjoy the HAMB !
    Seems like a lot of us old guys are gone, newer members seem to not know much about drag racing, or 50's - 60's hot rodding , not even knowing guys like Ivo, Ronda, etc. Time marches on. The Days Gone By Thread is one way to keep our past alive.
    THANKS

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Use the report button as that happens...

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  3. I did. It just keeps going though.
    RYAN, thanks for the HAMB, it's been ten years for me. I thank anyone that cares about history, you and your sites have provided untold hours of enjoyment and value to me.
    THANK YOU.

4. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

We should all thank our lucky stars for upstanding members like Gary Reynolds to keep things in line. This is no place for tomfoolery and humor!

5. Seriously,it's just one thread intermingled with thousands of others on the Hamb , it's not like it's a sacred text.

There is always room for Tomfoolery & Humor. HRP

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  6. I thought it was sarcasm but you might be right. Then again yours could be sarcasm, no wait....what day is this, where the hell am I and why is nurse Ratchet coming toward me with a big needle.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This thread is off-topic.

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  8. My post on this thread was deleted ,I guess it didn't meet's Gary's approval and he reported it! :rolleyes:

The reason given was it must have cars,there are literately hundreds of post that show people and buildings with NO cars in sight,furthermore there is nothing in the title that suggest it must have a car in the photo..

The thread plainly states- VINTAGE SHOTS FROM DAYS GONE BY! HRP

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    wraymen, ClayMart and catdad49 like this.
  9. catdad49

catdad49

Danny, posted some pics on the same thread with same result. Their loss, just wanted to show some shots of the garnet mine where my Grandpa worked (did have a steamshovel in one pic).

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. I heard that,it's not like you posted a 2010 Mustang GT, it's the only thread on the hamb I fear we will need to get approval before we post! HRP

wraymen and catdad49 like this.
  11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Don't feel bad, my thread on the fires in Cali was deleted by the forum police because it was off topic. I thought it was OK to check on other HAMB members, but I guess not......
    I won't be starting any more threads, that's for sure. I'll just lurk and maybe post on somebody's thread if I find it interesting.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. Keep posting my friend, if I had a nickle for all my deleted threads I would have a nickle.:D

But if I had a nickle for each and every thread that was deleted in the last 15 years I could have a nice steak dinner! upload_2018-7-30_15-34-33.gif HRP

Jeff Brinkhaus likes this.
  13. Three of several photo's that are on the very first page of the thread & posted by the member that started the Vintage shots from days gone by!

Where's the mandatory cars Gary speaks of?

And there are many post by international members. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Personally, I never look at that thread, but I get the drift.

Thing is, we can all access Google images etc. and spend days looking through pictures of pretty well anything. I don't really see any need for it here. Unless it's old race tracks, workshops or something relevant.

But as I say, I don't look at it. Although I do find the tautological title amusing.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I hope no one took me seriously when I made this comment, I was just being my sarcastic, wise assed self. I received a stern lecture about my bad conduct from a very frequent poster on Vintage Shots From Days Gone By thread that really pissed me off:mad: all because I must not have met his personal standards of what he thinks is proper.
    As HRP stated there are bunches of pictures on this thread with no cars in them and the title does not say Vintage Shots of Days Gone By with Cars in Them. There are also quite a few cracks made in jest about a picture that does not meet with this guys approval. I think most members here appreciate a little humor now and then but not him I guess. If I don't like a picture or a comment I just move on, no need to make a federal case out of it.
    To me, this board is all about like minded folks who enjoy the old school side of life and will help out a friend if they have a problem.

My message to all the uptight members who think they rule the roost is to lighten up, life's too short for negative vibes. Don't worry -be happy:D:D:D

16. verde742

verde742

I love reading ALL THE CRAP, or little bits of wit, some people who read these bits of wit, get their panties in a wad, and don't appreciate what they call shit...

build a bridge, get over it......

BamaMav, williebill and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  17. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

X2!!!

BamaMav and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  18. Is,nt there another thread for vintage dragracing . Maybe Gary should just post his pics there. ( I know , he allready does ) Days gone by thread is not just about dragracing. Why would you want to delete all the Euro stuff ? Might as well delete all the Aussie and Kiwi stuff too. Oh yeah, dont forget Great Britian and your neighbour Canada. I wonder where automotive history really began, Was it Europe or the Unites States ? Maybe Gary knows with his 81130 likes.
    How the hell do you get 81130 likes ? Easy , post all your pics as a separate post. Sorry Gary, had to say it. Why not post half a dozen in one post like the rest of us ?
    I must say a pic for the days gone by thread should at least include an automobile or something else mechanical. Like X38 says, all the other stuff is direct on google images.
    Now back to the regular stuff. Lets see if there are any more old 1950s girls & cars pics that poke your eyes out.

19. I wasn't aware there is a popularity contest, I now see that Gary obviously holds that title and I'm happy for him but this is a public forum and we each have our likes and dislikes,the thread in question was started long before some of us were members and ran along just fine until the OP of this thread decided to complain about other members posting what he considered off topic photos and interjecting a little humor.

Correct me if I'm wrong but does," Vintage shots from days gone by" not mean what it says?

Possibly one of the moderators can change the title to read, "Vintage shot's from days gone by, but let's exclude ALL cars that are not American made", lets tell all our International members they don't have a right to post on this thread!,I for one think this whole thread is asinine .

Maybe the Vintage shot's from days gone by has lived a long life but it's past time to do the humane thing and put it down. HRP

20. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

the rules do say american cars only.....

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  21. Mark,you know as well as I moderators have allowed Anglia's & Morris Minor threads to flourish and they are clearly not American cars and I love reading and seeing them built.

I also know the Hamb rules are clear but the thread in question has crossed the rules of domestic cars so many times in the past with no one getting their panties in a wad until recently. HRP

Moriarity likes this.
  22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

If I remember correctly part of the "unwritten rule" where that thread is concerned is that each picture must contain a car and the picture must be from 1965 or earlier. with little or no written words. It is a picture thread..... @Ryan would know best

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  23. verde742

verde742

clubs, forums, committees, councils, etc always evolve to pissing contest..

I remember at one meeting , when the Early Ford Club argued (discussed) for two hours, what color the club jackets should be... at that time there was 75 active members.

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I don't mind commentary so long as it's relevant... some of that stuff is great... but I think we should definitely keep aimed towards photography... and, of course, cars...

Gary Reynolds and verde742 like this.
  25. verde742

verde742

I wasn't aware there is a popularity contest, I now see that Gary obviously holds that title and I'm happy for him but this is a public forum and we each have our likes and dislikes,the thread in question was started long before some of us were members and ran along just fine until the OP of this thread decided to complain about other members posting what he considered off topic photos and interjecting a little humor.

Correct me if I'm wrong but does," Vintage shots from days gone by" not mean what it says?

Possibly one of the moderators can change the title to read, "Vintage shot's from days gone by, but let's exclude ALL cars that are not American made", lets tell all our International members they don't have a right to post on this thread!,I for one think this whole thread is asinine .

Maybe the Vintage shot's from days gone by has lived a long life but it's past time to do the humane thing and put it down. HRP
    HOT ROD PRIMER WROTE THIS...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I RESPOND........------------------
    no NO NO do NOT eliminate this thread, ITS ONE of my FAVORITES

26. Fitty Toomuch

Fitty Toomuch
    from WVa

Oh hell No, best thread on the forum. I`ve followed a few builds here and have had a few questions answered that helped me with my build, thanks HAMBers. BUT , VINTAGE SHOTS FROM DAYS GONE BY, has inspired me the most to finish my decade long project.
    I usually just scroll through all banter until a pic appears again.
    Thanks to those who post the pics there.

Gary Reynolds and verde742 like this.
  27. If you consider a copy & past picture thread the best the forum has to offer I believe you might need to broaden your horizons, the untapped depth of knowledge from your fellow members is astounding. HRP

K13, bowie, wraymen and 1 other person like this.
  28. Fitty Toomuch

Fitty Toomuch
    from WVa

I`m following 2 build threads on the forum, and I still stand with what I said.
    Now off to VSFDGB,

29. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

You can only love-up people after they die.

30. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Well, I might not have worded my thread right, maybe I should have asked if there were any HAMBer's in the fire's path. Just good intentions on my part, I won't make the same mistake again. I'll keep my mouth shut on things like that.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.