Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Evolution of my Model T

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jaw22w, Jul 28, 2018.

1. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I watched the ad on Craigslist for about a month. Couldn't stand it anymore and had to have it. 1st pic is the day we rolled it in the shop. Mostly complete. Missing only the engine, radiator and shell. Doors and latches worked, still had glass in it and the side windows rolled up and down. I had it sandblasted first. I put in a few patch panels. I built a new frame and suspension, installed a SBC and 700r4. 15 months later, I ended up with the black primer and red wheels version. I was going to work the bugs out of it before disassembly for paint. Well, 3+ years and 15K miles of duty as my daily driver later, I finally decided to paint it. I'm retired and I figured I could knock it out in a couple weeks. HAH! Almost 3 months later, I had a shiny a Washington blue with black fenders 1926 T coupe. Painted by me in my shop with all the dust, bugs and dog hair from the 2 Lab mutts that live there, the paint job looks great (from 20 feet, LOL). This car is, and will remain my daily driver, so I wasn't really worried about a perfect show car paint job. The car club Friday lunch guys loved it. They thought it had clear on it. I liked that. It's just acrylic enamel with hardener buffed up real good. The 1935 Ford IMG_1288.JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0032.JPG IMG_0031.JPG IMG_0027.JPG IMG_1409.JPG Washington blue was inspired by the recent Washington blue thread here on the HAMB. All along it was always going to be black all over until I read that thread. I love this blue. In the shade it looks black. It takes a while to figure out it's really blue. Love it.
    All in all I'm happy with the results, but I am pretty much a hotrod guy and I kind of feel like I knocked the ""hotrod" off of it, entering into the "street rod" area. I like the Wimbledon white wheels, but I think that is what knocks the "hotrod" off of it.
    Got it done just in time for the Bunker Hill nostalgia drags this weekend. Always a good time. This week is the wife and I's 40th anniversary. Monday we are leaving on a 1050 mile round trip to Sault Ste. Marie via the east shore of Lake Michigan through Manistee. We're taking the "T". It's reliable as hell. Should make a good trip to put the first nicks in the paint and get it over with.
    Hope you like my "T".
    Bottom pic shows the hair contribution to the paint job.

GuyW, AndersF, kidcampbell71 and 6 others like this.
  2. nice looking car

3. A Boner

A Boner

Almost 3 months for a driver paint job.....a lot of work......that's why a show paint job costs so much! A good way to take the fun out of a hot rod begins with a "show" paint job. Nice looking hot rod.....have fun!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  4. GimmeAnotherOne

GimmeAnotherOne

Nice! Washington Blue is the perfect color. Looks great!

5. Good looking T. If you have the time once your in the Soo take the Agawa Canyon train ride with Algoma Railways. It,s a full daytrip you won,t forget. This is on the Canadian side. Just cross the bridge.
    algoma railway - agawa canyon.jpg View attachment 3981485

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    jaw22w likes this.
  6. manyolcars

manyolcars

Do the back tires ever hit the sheetmetal? I want mine to sit like that

7. I think "hair of the dog" is meant more for conversations involving adult beverages...………….but, for paint work...…..ah, what the heck! Neat story and ride, keep on keepin' on.

8. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I had it sitting lower before paint. I had burn marks on top of the back fenders. I raised it 1" at the lower shock mount. Now instead of bottoming on the fender the shock bottoms. It only does this when there are two up, and then only on a very severe bump. I have the springs set up to give a nice soft ride ( for a hot rod). I could stiffen up the springs a touch and probably lower it back down that inch. I have played extensively with spring rates and ride heights to get it where it is.
    On the front, if I get the right rear cocked up like coming out of a steep driveway and get the steering wheel at full lock right, then the left front will slightly rub the fender brace on the inside. And vice-versa. I would like the whole car a little lower, but the front end is really what is limiting going lower. I have a 46" axle in it because that is what everyone suggested for a full fendered T. I'm not really sure, but I believe that a 47" axle might cure the front rub and let it go a little lower.
    Like I said I have spent a lot of time, money and energy on stance, ride quality, and ride height. I have cut the front perch off 3 times to get here. It's a lot of work, but you can get a full fendered T to sit pretty.

AndersF likes this.
  9. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Well, I'm an old man and things don't get done at the same pace as they used to. But you are exactly right. If I had had this done by a pro the way I did it, it would have been $10K. And you would have to get right up close and nit pick it to tell the difference.
    I thought about the fun factor before paint. I probably washed the primer version 5 or 6 times in 3 years. Now I'm going to have to keep it clean, just because I'm an anal asshole. But I won't worry about it like I had put that $10K into it. But you know, by the time I was done I had more than $1K in materials and supplies. I remember when I was a kid you could paint a car complete for $100 bucks. I spent more than that on sandpaper.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. 2935ford

2935ford

11. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Nice build, cool front shock mount, I have the same hair problem, enjoy your trip !!

12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

They look like good doggies:D I really like the color scheme of blue with white/cream ? wheels. To me it has that classy hot rod look. Good job.

13. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

They are good dogs, brother and sister. They are a comedy team.
    I like the white wheels too, but they need a blue pinstripe about an inch outside the baby moons. Ya think?

Crusty Chevy likes this.
  14. toml24

toml24

That is one fantastic tall-T!