Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Weekend Score, what did you get?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lewk, Jan 21, 2018.

1. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_3807.JPG IMG_3808.JPG 2 O/T mid 60's Mustang side mirrors in great condition at a yard sale for 4 bucks each. Couldn't pass them up. I'm sure someone will want them.

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

3. No wear, no damage.
    Just needed a good cleaning.

Vise a.JPG Vise b.JPG

fauj, alanp561, j-jock and 1 other person like this.
  4. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Got yesterday, on the "Bay" today 20180727_123923 (2).jpg ....

5. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Late Wednesday night I was cruising Craigslist and came across a post for a '57 392 Hemi that had been posted an hour earlier. The owner said it had less than 1500 miles on it since it was rebuilt some years ago but he was going to pull it out of his T bucket in favor of a small block Chevy. It is complete except for the carburetor and alternator and came with headers and two extra sets of heads.

I texted the owner right away that night (around midnight) and then called at 7:00AM Thursday morning and left a message. He got back to me a few hours later and said that he had been getting a bunch of calls but that he was "old school and did things the proper way" and was responding to people in the order that they had called. We talked a while and from his description of the engine, his honesty, and his demeanor on the phone I told him that I would buy it but that I couldn't make it over until Friday. He said no problem and we set a time to meet.

It was a tough day and night as I waited with anticipation for Friday to come. I figured that I would get a call from him and that someone would have offered him more money and he would have sold it out from under me. It has happened to me before a few times and I kind of expect it anymore dealing with this sort of stuff. I couldn't take it so I left work early on Friday and called him and asked if I could come over early. He said "I am retired and all I'm doing is sitting on my deck and enjoying the day, come on over!"

Long story short the engine was exactly as described. The heads were off it and the cylinder walls look awesome, with no ridge. The engine is clean and he connected the battery up and turned it over with the starter and it is really smooth and tight. It has chrome Chrysler Firepower valve covers, adjustable pushrods, extra rockers, starter, flywheel, new spark plug tubes, etc. The owner told me that he had gotten a couple calls from guys that offered to pay more to buy it out from under me. He said that he didn't roll that way and that "a man who wouldn't keep his word wasn't a man at all." He had some other choice words for folks with no integrity, but I won't share that with you here. It was an awesome day! I got an engine that has only been a dream of mine up to this point, but better yet I got to meet and visit with a cool old hot rodder who restored my faith in humanity.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  6. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good for you and him! I am glad to hear that some people still have the balls to stand by their word. Nice score.

1956 F100 and bathcollector like this.
  7. SquintBoy

SquintBoy

Don't you just love Wisconsin car guys! They are (mostly) so honest!

Sent from the red phone

Max Gearhead likes this.
  8. philo426

philo426

Awesome that the guy kept his word.I bet he likes the fact that it will go into a hot rod and not just flipped for a profit by the vultures!

9. topher5150

topher5150

Went to a manly garage sale today and picked up a CO2 tank for $20. Now I just need an adapter...and some gas the valve was open... And then I'm in buisness IMG_20180728_150316450.jpeg

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Thor1 likes this.
  10. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

One of the guys that I work with was cleaning his office out today. He is retiring. He knew that I am a car guy so he gave me this. It is the year that he was born. [​IMG]

I know it's not a weekend score but it is still cool

das858, Speedys Garage, lewk and 2 others like this.
  11. tb33anda3rd likes this.
  12. Beautiful... What an awesome seller!

Thor1 likes this.
  13. That 392 story somewhat restores my faith in humanity. Just like the seller, I have always sold my stuff using a first contact list, and having been undercut myself when attempting to make a purchase, I feel great about the seller's attitude, and the fact that you got your engine.
    I would love to own a hemi, but I have no project that could use one. Good luck on your project.
    Bob

Thor1 and SquintBoy like this.
  14. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

I added to my SBC hoard. ‘59 “Corvette” 283 bored .040 plus some 2 1/2” rams horns. The high performance valve covers are staggered bolt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Speedys Garage, enloe and tb33anda3rd like this.
  15. At an auction a couple weeks ago I picked up:

- 348 heads, that I still need to check the numbers on
    - 348 chrome valve covers (with rust)
    - 348 one painted valve cover
    - 348 oil pan
    - two 348 water pumps
    - 327 valve covers
    - one early script Chevrolet valve cover

- Model A pickup bed sides
    - a pickup bed subrails
    - four crappy A rear fenders for $2. Yes, 50 cents each.
    - a crapton of A headlights, plus one set T and some odd singles
    - 28-29 A pickup windshield header
    - 20-ish Chevy grille shell
    - two jars full of what I thought were A wheel bearings, need to ID them
    - filled two milk crates with assorted crap like a couple of old stock trans mounts for 48-56 Buick/Olds manual trans cars

I put a few pieces on the bay already. May use the best two fenders on my A pickup bed trailer.

What I missed out on was the baby torch set. I didn't see it on the shelf until the guy who was high bidder picked it out. Little tanks, backpack sized. Also missed on the shelf of intakes, 3 or 4 348 and 2 or 3 small block plus other odd stuff.

Thor1, enloe, lewk and 1 other person like this.
  16. WTF really

WTF really

Big load of tools. Lots of really old stuff. 20180824_173511.jpg 20180824_173515.jpg 20180824_173521.jpg

TagMan, lewk, j-jock and 1 other person like this.
  17. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

N.O.S tail light for my 1949 Dodge business coupe....Rarer than rare.....just require a drivers side now.... image.jpg

lewk and j-jock like this.
  18. utahdodge

utahdodge

[​IMG][​IMG]

My weekends are busy, so it’s a “midweek find” I’ve known about it for awhile but have been trying to talk myself out of it. The family is cleaning up grandpa’s collection, he had some great stuff through the years. This Overland has been hanging in the rafters for decades. The frame was out in the weeds unfortunately though. I have no idea what I’ll do with it, (speedster, “poverty flats” style limo?) I just couldn’t let it get scrapped.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

34 GAZ, scotts52, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  19. WTF really

WTF really

20. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

22. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those am some nice wheels there...

23. WTF really

WTF really

All i know about this one is it turns free.

24. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

Picked this up and I’m the third owner IMG_2254.JPG IMG_2252.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

25. I got three AD fenders at a auction a few weeks ago. one has a square corner where the grill mounts the other two have rounded corners. Im thinking the square cornered one is a GMC fender. don't know what year the others are. alt bracket 002.JPG alt bracket 003.JPG

Terrible80 likes this.
  26. WTF really

WTF really

I have several of them rims you should've asked.

enloe likes this.
  27. Squablow

Squablow

Nice! Now you're a Deuce man and you can look down on us peons. Is that a B banger in the box as well? Even just that is a score.

Mr cheater likes this.
  28. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Thanks they will look great on my digger

29. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Which rims?

30. raven

raven

The square corner on is a 54-5 Chevy truck fender. Would you be interested in parting with it?
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.