Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. After 171 years of candy making, the Necco plant in Revere Mass has closed it's doors... Necco has been making the classic Necco Wafers since 1847, as well as other sweets, including Sweethearts, Mary Jane, Thin Mints, Clark Bars, and the Sky Bar.

[​IMG]

2. greybeard360

greybeard360

3. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

As you state the #16 is the Wilcox Peugeot. The two cars behind look like they have identical bodywork with Eddie Hearne in the #15 and Jules Goux in the #14. The funny thing is that the Hearne and Goux cars are listed as Ballots (I had to look it up after you gave me the year). I'm guessing that somehow Peugeot and Ballot were a team effort that year and were working together which might account for why all three cars have the tire blankets.

You always post photos with a lot of detail that makes me think. Your photos are always appreciated!

4. greybeard360

greybeard360

No more Thin Mints???

Those are my favorite!!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. Turnipseed

Turnipseed

Butch Lake, August Hartkopf's step brother. I saw him several time at Little River and the old Austin International drag strip in the '60'. That small block had a beautiful sound with the high RPM shift points.

loudbang, hendelec and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. j hansen

j hansen

7. j hansen

j hansen

8. j hansen

j hansen

9. j hansen

j hansen

10. j hansen

j hansen

11. j hansen

j hansen

12. j hansen

j hansen

13. j hansen

j hansen

14. j hansen

j hansen

15. Gray Ford

Gray Ford
    from Illinois

A question for those smarter than me .....
    We constantly see photos of blown & injected dragsters, tires blazing, front wheels in the air and the injector butterflies closed ...??? ( See below) .. If the throttle is closed, how is the engine still making enough power to fry the tires & carry the wheels ?? ...

[​IMG]

16. These are burnout shots, taken the instant the driver gets off the throttle, much easier to photograph, more dramatic too. At this point in time, slipper clutches made the run smokeless, more dramatic shots were from full throttle hops like this.
    Notice his Goggles aren't over his eyes? Buster would never allow a run like that! Burnout only. Guy in the other lane pouring bleach, ready to burn through.
    Even in the later 60's as cast iron 426's, fuel motors made a LOT of power.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  17. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Gary,
    Nice photo of we all know who from the old tv shows and as a young kid. He was quick from the starting line in all of his race cars. I just happened to be in the "not so friendly" staging area with my movie camera looking like a professional photographer. The pit security left me alone. So, I was able to take this movie clip of Tommy Ivo in his newly created 671 Buick FED for one of his first runs at Lions.

Jnaki
    Later on in the day, I was hanging out on the spectators side of Lions, when he made another charging run down the strip. These are the only action shots of the 671 on the Buick FED still floating around. Tommy Ivo's race cars were favorites of ours, from the back in 1958 to the famous twin, during this time period.

18. Now THIS is a hot rod! Class is "B/ Fuel Altered.
    [​IMG]

19. Jnaki
    Later on in the day, I was hanging out on the spectators side of Lions, when he made another charging run down the strip. These are the only action shots of the 671 on the Buick FED still floating around. Tommy Ivo's race cars were favorites of ours, from the back in 1958 to the famous twin, during this time period.
    [/QUOTE]
    Thanks, YOU are one of the few here left that actually was there, a part of hot rod history, I always enjoy your remarks. Thoughtful and meaningful.

20. glrbird

glrbird

Butch Lake, still racing and a fun guy to hang out with.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.