Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Deepest Dropped Steering Arms?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Rusty Knutts, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Rusty Knutts

Rusty Knutts

I noticed Magnum offers a Super Deep Drop (2772) and P&J list a Super Bell 5" Drop (1107) steering arm. Just wondered if any of you guys knew if one was any deeper (affording more clearance) than the other, or if there might be one deeper than either of those? Thanks!

2. 41fastback

41fastback

3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

What you are looking for is a dropped steering arm designed for a 35-48 car using a 4 inch dropped axle and stock wishbones. They have the most drop. The P&J 5 inch arms are designed for a 5 inch dropped axle and hairpins, so the tie rod is centered in the hairpin.

4. Rusty Knutts

Rusty Knutts

I'm wanting try use an vintage 5" dropped Ford axle with my original 34 un-split wishbones & buggy spring. Wonder if the Magnum super drop will clear without modification?

5. have you assembled it together yet?
    just wondering cause ya can use a square to estimate the drop

6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

The 32-34 wishbones compound the problem as they are in a straight line with bottom of the axle yoke while the 37-40 bones are up a little higher. I don't think you will find aftermarket dropped arms that will work with the combination you want to use. Are you sure you have an early Ford dropped axle with a total drop of 5 inches? When I asked Anson Axles to do that much to a heavy deuce he said they get a funky stretched look with that much drop. I have 5 inch dropped So-Cal axle that was forged as a 4 inch drop so it doesn't have the stretched look, it's a really radical drop. It's 46 inches kingpin center to center with the stock 32/34 wide perch width.

7. Are you sure you can't go over the top of the wishbone? If you are using the stock wishbone; the frame will likely be a little higher over the suspension.
    dago 1.jpg

8. Rusty Knutts

Rusty Knutts

I haven't attempted to assemble yet. Was hoping I could have the needed parts on hand when I do but looks like modification will be necessary.