Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ford Flathead 200MPH rear engine modified 27 Roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ronnieroadster, Jul 26, 2018.

1. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

As some of you know I have been running Ford Flathead blocks for some time in our Land Speed race car. Its been eight years of trial and error with our race car learning how to get reliability and power out of our beloved supercharged on racing gasoline Flathead Ford blocks.
    On Friday July 13th 2018 running my car at the Loring Timing Associations land speed event in Limestone Maine my car was timed at 200.921 Miles Per Hour.
    Some details about the run.
    It was made from a standing start no push just the power of the engine powering the car to the top end finish line which is 1.5 miles. On the run the mile speed was 185.773
    Now some details about the engine.
    Its an 8BA block bored 3 -5/16 with a 4 1/4 stroke crankshaft. The block is not modified the original intake ports are retained and the stock exhaust passages are used exactly how the block was originally designed. Some have said those three exhaust ports per side are a big hindrance to flow and performance I have found otherwise. The blower is small 2.3 in size and theres a four barrel carb feeding this little monster.
    As far as we know no other Ford roadster bodied race car powered by a Ford Flathead valve in block engine has run 200 MPH prior to this run.
    Ronnieroadster

The attachment is the in car camera of the run hope you enjoy the ride.

2. brady1929

brady1929

Awesome. Congratulations.

3. 76B5F477-353D-4105-8E7A-DE00D7A2DFEE.jpeg 20C2F12D-2B6F-4FCD-8C7A-DD994F293565.jpeg Congrats are very much in order. I am amazed you can obtain that much power running stock intake and exhaust ports. I am 70 years of age with 55 years of flathead experience And have always assumed porting was a necessary part of the equation to go fast. My 32 cabriolet with 289 cubes runs 80 mph in the 1/8 mile. How can you run 6,000 rpm with a 4 1/4 stroke? You must have some very light valve train to pull 6k in high gear! Is the crank lightened appreciably? I assume you have a blower; what kind of boost are you running?

Stogy, Baron, murpa and 2 others like this.
  4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Congratulations! What color are the East Coast 200MPH Club hats? :cool:

Bob

Stogy, Baron, RICH B and 1 other person like this.

5. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Bob There White

Stogy, Baron, RICH B and 1 other person like this.
  6. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

The valve train is not extremely light I use roller lifters custom made from tool steel. Boost level is 12 pounds. Red line on the engine at Speedweek is over 6500 RPM. The crankshaft is the same weight as A Merc four inch.

Stogy, Baron and loudbang like this.
  7. mkubacak

mkubacak

Awesome!

I do not recall seeing a photo of this car. Please post some exterior photos of the car.

8. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was just awesome!

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great stuff @ronnieroadster I'd say that is Acceleration and Jubilation all wrapped up in a well engineered package...Congratulations.

FIVE-WINDO-GIRL, Baron and loudbang like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@ronnieroadster could you confirm these are the lakester you piloted as it seems there may be another Driver.

Also was this running an Ardun set up at one time as well? Thank You
    in advance and apologies if my information is incorrect.

[​IMG]

Post by @ct1932ford
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/quiz-question-first-to-200-mph.1078788/#post-12229797

Credit to Photographer @ct1932ford

Couple of Externals
    Quite an Achievement
    @ronnieroadster

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  11. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Yes thats our rear engine modified roadster. The fellow in the blue drivers fire suit is Jeff Arnett from San Diago Jeffs dad is the founder of the Bean Bandits. After my 200 run I let Jeff drive he ran over 196 MPH the second fastest pass ever for the Flathead roadster.

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good on you Fellas...that's gotta be an incredible feeling. It that a landing strip or a decommissioned roadway? Ahh the Bean Bandits I have posted some of their Hotrods in threads...Pretty iconic bunch thats for sure...Look at you guys...your hard work paying off Bigtime.

Baron and loudbang like this.
  13. That was fantastic!

Stogy, Baron and loudbang like this.
  14. Vert cool! Congrats it looks like a fun ride!

loudbang likes this.
  15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Fabulous - Very Cool - Congrats

loudbang likes this.
  16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ron, Would a full canopy help the aero, or would that simple addition put the car into another class? Bob

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  17. C69A

C69A

Well done Ron great effort

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  18. loudbang

loudbang

Hell of a job. Congratulations

19. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations Ron! :cool:

loudbang likes this.
  20. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Given the 200mph run I believe we must now refer to you as "mr roadster" instead of ronnie! Lol Is that a forged crank or cast? Could you give away some secrets in the motor? Things like gaskets to hold 12psi! What type of blower is it? Lots of 2.3s out there.

21. mkubacak

mkubacak

I am having a real hard time seeing the 1927 roadster there. But, I guess that would be where the term "modified" would come in. I do not make the rules or distinctions, but it looks way more like a streamliner or modified belly tank. Either way, 200 with a flathead is impressive.

Stogy likes this.
  22. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Living the dream. Congratulations. What a run.
    The engine at idle sounds like a monster. Great job!!

loudbang likes this.
  23. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Im guessing he means stock location intake & exhaust ports not unported. if Im wrong then its REALLY an unreal accomplishment. I'd
    really like to be wrong though, Seen the engine, definitely not an unported block

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  24. oldolds

oldolds

Great run! 6500 red line! And it could do a second run!

loudbang likes this.
  25. Ron, that sounds great!:cool: Congratulations. Almost sounds like my nice running coupe.;)

loudbang likes this.
  26. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Bob the only class where the full canopy is allowed is streamliner and lakseter. Being a roadster class we now run in only a windshield is allowed.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  27. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

28. Fantastic.Congradulations.

loudbang likes this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes its modded of course but you can clearly see the cowl back and it seems it may also be widened somewhat as well. @The37Kid's question about the closed windshield also answers why it is still considered a roadster...there is another vintage racer that was a rear engined forward seater that I am trying to locate to post with this as it has an extended wheelbase similar to this. Just highlighting what you may have seen but if not its there.

RR_Transition.jpg

[​IMG]

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tired-of-homogenized-hotrods.1002926/page-50

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  30. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Wow!!!!
    Cool !!!!
    What is a 2.3l blower?which car does
    It come from?

Will you share the cam specs with us ?
    Thanks
    Michael