Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What would you do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coolhandponcho54, Jul 22, 2018.

1. fuzzface

fuzzface

I would have gotten it too. I am a lone wolf that likes building the dare to be different group.

clunker likes this.
  2. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The HAMB is a strange place. Everybody says scrap it, now everybody says build it except for one. .

3. I would have parted/scrapped it, but since the OP has decided to build it I'm all in favor of supporting him.

Clay Belt and coolhandponcho54 like this.
  4. Billy_Bottle_Caps

Billy_Bottle_Caps

5. Clay Belt likes this.
  6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

very strange group here. one thing I notice is a great many threads just seem to go with the crowd until someone speaks up with a differing opinion. I notice this because I am an opinionated fuck and many times I have been the one that changed the tune of a thread.

the main body of that car looks to be in pretty good shape. funny how people can't see that under the surface rust. take it somewhere and get it blasted, start the thread over and the crowd would be telling you how cool you were and wish you luck on your project. o_O:confused:o_O:confused:o_O:confused::eek:

7. ken bogren

ken bogren

Thanks for saving that car! I'm looking forward to a build thread.

Personally I kind of liked the post suggesting turning it into a sort of motorized tear drop camper. Might be a bit cramped with 4 kids though. :)

Think outside the box!

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

1961. Suspended Calif drivers licence, street racing. Sold my fast '56 Ford, my gorgeous '36 five window, and my roadster. Paid the fine...Looked around for something 'Ford'.
    Friend Billy Ambrose said he got a nice '46 for the engine/trans, put them in his '31 roadster...Car's at his Mom's house, I can get it 'cheap'! So.....

Bought a nice maroon '46 Coupe from Billy for $12. No engine/tranny, no radiator. Car was dirty, hood was gone. Super DeLuxe, dash was original, seats were worn & torn.
    My buds said, "It's NOT a '40!"
    "Look around for another '36, get rid of that thing!"
    I cleaned it up, reversed its steel '48 Merc wheels, 8.20 X 15 rear, 6.40 X 15 front. Installed my 5/16" X 1/4" flathead (286 C.I.) and '41 pickup box.
    Santa Clara Auto Wreckers had a '46 dove gray tudor sedan that was rear-ended. I bought the seats, door and quarter upholstery panels, hood, radiator, and all missing sheet metal (radiator air deflector, other parts) Don charged me $40.....
    Two weeks was all, my car was running, clean, and sharp.
    My loudmouth '46 Ford hating bud challenged me with his '39 Chevy sedan. Fresh 235, dual carbs, split manifold...Ha! Blew his doors off.
    My '46 eventually got a 331 Chrysler hemi with Hansen 6-71, Flyer of San Jose painted it midnight blue.
    Everybody loved the ugly '46 now... the twelve dollar '46. Thank you Billy Ambrose!

Now I have an old black '47 Ford FOUR DOOR with lotsa Posies stuff to go underneath, it was a gift from a friend. NO RUST! Solid car...It's worth it!
    My bud Tracy sold me a pair of 'box skirts', and I have some other cool '40s stuff for it.
    Neat 'taildragger' custom, nice whitewalls, single bar flippers, dual spots...all the original chrome, (it's all there!)
    My wife likes it, (finally) she wants to keep it column shift...my choice of engines, (some SBCs to choose from, a nice driver that looks 'sharp'.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  9. Squablow

Squablow

Glad to see it saved, and like you said, if the project goes off the rails, it's never too late to part it out, but I hope you're able to make it into a car again. There's a couple good build threads on making a 41-48 Ford sedan into a coupe using a donor roof and trunk if that idea would interest you.

coolhandponcho54 likes this.
  10. 26Troadster

26Troadster

You could do something like this.

Attached Files:

11. Post more pics of it
    Especially that rear end set up, I’m guessing the “devils lettuce” was involved in that engineering master piece!!!!

43634282-F405-425E-B86D-AECE3AF76F95.gif

12. williebill

williebill

Please, no shorty. Bad flashbacks of 55-57 Chevys, and VW vans.
    I've got a 39 Ford four door that I drove in the 70s, and should get running again by at least the year 2100. Look at the pics of chopped 4 doors on the net.. Some look cool as hell

Clay Belt likes this.
  13. Asking for pics on Photoshop thread used better pic than mine but we will see can't find pics of chopped mordoors

Sent from my VS996 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. print off a picture and remove the roof with a razor blade

old school photoshop

coolhandponcho54 likes this.
  15. Me, don’t do a tub

I think get the body clean, fixing the rear end is easy enough to remove that garbage and do leafs
    350/350 or some thing along those lines
    You said you have a few running engines etc.

I wouldn’t do a rr bit built with thought and being budget conscious I think you could easily build this for realativly cheap have a blast with it and be able to sell it and recoup your money or at least most of it

I like it, and it will sure be fun to build and drive
    Since I had kids all my cars have been more doors!

16. If by tub you mean the convertible, then no.
    It reminds me of that Jughead cartoon car

The top two pics look great

Clay Belt likes this.
  17. Yes picture it with top off just don't like the look of the rear, trunk is too high ( I have also been accused of this)

Chopped might be the way to go I got a good cheap Glassman and some old hotrodders willing to help out with metal work (I do all their under dash and grunt work)

Sent from my VS996 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. thats a good picture to study the cuts

wonder how it would look tail dragger style?
    lower in the back than the front

19. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

Part it out and scrap what doesn't sell in a timely fashion.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Fugly.

Gman0046 likes this.
  21. Jesse Bailey

Jesse Bailey

I think doing the tub with a Carson style padded top would work better than that weird top on that black car. The chop on the black and white pic looks pretty darn good to me.

Personally, I'd yank the rear end/suspension out and either put it back with a transverse leaf or since you have access to a salvage yard maybe take a complete rear suspension and axle out of a ranger or similar. I would also use your poncho 389 since you have it and it runs.

Of course it's easy for all of us to tell you what to do with the car but, ultimately it's your call on how far you want to jump into this. I would just get it running, driving and safe then start in on body work.

22. I disagree
    taidrager 1.jpg taildragr 1.jpg taildrager.jpg

Cosmo50 likes this.
  23. Probably a lot of people disagree.

anthony myrick likes this.
  24. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That was sorta my idea, but I’d leave it a little longer behind the door so it wouldn’t look stunted. Take your time, collect some parts, then tear into it.

It’s funny, some of y’all would drag up a 32 Ford rusted away to the door handles and put all new metal on it, but let a surface rusted 4 door fat fender go to the crusher? It won’t ever be a coupe or roadster, but it’s still a great car to learn old Fords on, and if it doesn’t work out, the parts can be saved for another car.

Squablow likes this.
  25. But but but it’s a 32
    A bucket of 32 dust is worth millions

King ford likes this.
  26. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

LOL! :)

27. This guy is 32 years old with FOUR kids. Who knows how many jobs he has to work to make a living? Yet he has the energy to take this cool old car (otherwise destined for the crusher) and actually do something with it? The Pope himself should fly here and give this guy a Papal Award, or at least a dispensation for something fun....

After Being whined at for the entire morning about “I won’t eat icky sandwiches” and “where’s my hairbrush”, then dropping my 2 kids off at school, even after drinking 4 cups of coffee and eating 6 doughnuts I can barely “emotionally bribe” myself enough to get to my job and accomplish anything at all, let alone do everything life requires AND take a project like this on.

I think it’s gonna be great. That’s my opinion. There are lots of ways he can go.

(There are people who like old cars then there are people who like 32 Fords....

There are people who like motorcycles then there are people who like Harleys....

There are people who like women then there are people who like super models....

There are people who like coffee then there are people who like Starbucks...

On and on.... )

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

BradinNC, scott27, alanp561 and 7 others like this.
  28. lot's of disagreements. the original poster asked what would YOU do and not what HE should do

myself, i'm 65 recovering for some serious stuff and have three running hot rods and not looking for any projects

his situation may be entirely different and it's a perfect project for him

stanlow69 likes this.
  29. 26Troadster

26Troadster

only pic of it i know of.
    buddy in high school had a 57 chevy wagon shorty, straight axle and setting high sm block chevy 4 speed. car was fun and i liked it. but you are right i have seen shorties that were a nightmare.