Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 57 Chevy Budget 4 door build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RaginPin3Appl3, Aug 5, 2017.

1. flatford39

flatford39

That has been my experience as well. Can't tell you how many field cars I have hooked a chain to and by the time they are close to the trailer everything is moving. I have had the dreaded groove in the pads holding the drum on but it is pretty rare. If you yank on it enough it's going to bust free. Hope he gets it. It's just brute strength against brute strength at this point. Remember his Mom put a deadline on moving it so he is under some pressure if he wants eat I think.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. RMONTY

RMONTY

Somehow the spindle nut was way too tight! Now clean that nasty crap off the backing plate, TOTALLY....and I mean TOTALLY clean out ALL the grease from the hub and put new grease in. You don't want metal shavings rubbing around on that spindle!

3. flatford39

flatford39

That had to be that way when you put it in the garage. I have never seen anything like that before without some human intervention. Interesting....

chryslerfan55 and RMONTY like this.
  4. flatford39

flatford39

What he said or you will lose the spindle.

chryslerfan55 and RaginPin3Appl3 like this.
  5. RMONTY

RMONTY

And clean the wheel bearing as well!

RaginPin3Appl3 likes this.
  6. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Yeah later when i’m not so sweaty and tired and the sun goes down i’ll head out there again and regrease everything and clean it up. The wheel bearings are in great shape, i guess someone replaced them at some point, or they just made stuff better back then. Of course theres only 40 something thousand miles on it

chryslerfan55 and Clay Belt like this.
  7. henry29

henry29

Have the brakes worked since you've had it? The hose may be holding pressure on the wheel cyl.

flatford39 likes this.
  8. RMONTY

RMONTY

If the bearing is in good shape you are better off using the old one. The newer bearings suck. The metal isn't as hard or something. Check the bearing races for burrs as well. If there are any, use a fine grade energy cloth to polish the burrs off. Don't hog them off with 80 grit or something like that.

9. Been away with the wife and when I came back you have beat it!:D Once again you have demonstrated that you can conquer the beast!:p Just make sure to clean all of the metal shavings good, wash out the bearings in kerosene or parts cleaner and re-pack the bearings:rolleyes:. Clean off the spindle and dress it as Rmonty says. If you don't know how to pack bearings just ask, it is messy but it gets the job done correctly and thoroughly.:eek:

10. RMONTY

RMONTY

It's called "greasing the palm"!

11. He'll figure that part out if he asks.:D

RaginPin3Appl3 and flatford39 like this.
  12. RMONTY

RMONTY

13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I wonder how that looks so much like what I posted? Maybe because the drum is riveted to the hub! :rolleyes:

14. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Back wheels are still dragging. I guess tomorrow the drive shaft comes out... :(

15. RMONTY

RMONTY

Time to go through the brakes. Plain and simple.

16. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

With 2 days left that’s not gonna be happening

17. If the brakes are dragging don’t waste your time removing the driveshaft.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 and flatford39 like this.
  18. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Might not be the brakes. The engine runs so it’s not that but i was thinking it could be rear end related. At least if i take the shaft out the rear end will have nothing to put drag on it

19. greaser

greaser

Check the e-brake. Cables should be slack with minimal tension.

20. RMONTY

RMONTY

The brake system is all gummed up I'll bet. It happens due to DOT3 brake fluids characteristic of collecting moisture and then having all moving parts within the system corrode and jam up. Understood you don't have tome now, but a total brake system overhaul is needed but you've known that for quite some time. Gather your parts up over the next few months and it is a 1 or 2 day project.

21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Yes. Pull back one of your dust boots on a wheel cylinder and see what behind it. You'll be very surprised. Note: you do not need to remove everything like this photo to see whats back there.
    [​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and RMONTY like this.
  22. flatford39

flatford39

Can you explain exactly how you got it into the garage in the first place. If it rolled in it should roll out.
    Did you drop the driveshaft back then too???

23. RMONTY

RMONTY

It just jammed up and got stuck like the 235!!!:eek:

flatford39 and RaginPin3Appl3 like this.
  24. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Turns out the parking brake was engaged even though the handle was loose. Rolling now. I’m disappointed in myself for not making time and getting it going this summer but i got caught up in other hobbies. I’ll probably get the urge to work on it more in the fall and winter when it’s not so hot. I think I’m just going to save up and buy a new carb and intake, i’ve had enough of this quadrajet. Unfortunately I won’t be able to do much with the car for a while, i have work and i’m moving out next week going back to school. I’ll occasionally come home and do a little on it when the mood strikes though, but don’t expect much to be posted here for a while.

Oh and don’t go down the dark road of vinyl record collecting! That’s what I’ve been throwing my money at this summer and it’s as addictive if not more than cars!

25. flatford39

flatford39

Thank you for your response. That finally makes sense. If you want a bullet proof 4 barrel that will work well on that motor I would suggest a 600CFM Holley. It's a great carb to learn on and parts and rebuild kits are available. Also they are not hard to rebuild and are a great starter to understand carburated vehicles.

26. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Thanks i’ll keep that in mind for when the car bug hits again, or the record bug goes dormant haha

27. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

[​IMG]
    It took my dad, myself and two of my buddies but we got that car pulled around the block with my truck then pushed it into my garage. Look back to page one to see a current pic :p

28. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

Dont fool with the Holley, they need to be adjusted every now and then. Edelbrock is almost as good as fuel injection for me (when the beast wants to actually work)

Sent from my VS500 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Old wolf and RaginPin3Appl3 like this.
  29. That car looks awful good out in the daylight;). Get your priorities straightened out:eek:. Mine is currently back inside due to wiring issues and I am afraid to drive it for fear of it going up in smoke. 106_0089.JPG

I got my work cut out for me too:(. Until I get this sorted out it will stay parked.:mad:

30. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

Dude this is so cool!! I want one.. I was just telling dad that other day, I want a 4 door of some kind to daily drive. Keep up the hard work man. Don't give up. It's easier to give up than to keep going, but if it was easy, everyone would do it ammirite?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

RaginPin3Appl3 and chryslerfan55 like this.