Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. The Times are worthless do to tire spin. The first pass spun bad. We looked at the tires and found the outer 3-4 inches is worn off. I'm not getting the full 12 inches. They got worn down sliding around sideways at us -41. The second pass hooked harder. I think the track was prepped better and the tires were a little flatter after two burnouts. We were approached Saturday by a photographer from mopar collectors guide. We did a shoot on Sunday morning. It was a good weekend. We brought the car home in one piece. 20180721_183901.jpg 20180722_074142.jpg

2. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Congrats on the successful weekend!

hendelec, racer-x and loudbang like this.
  3. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

It does sound good. What percentage of pop are you running?

loudbang, racer-x and Hemi Joel like this.
  4. rgdavid

rgdavid

Sounds absolutly scary lovely great, oh what music to the ears.

loudbang, racer-x and Hemi Joel like this.
  5. 75% for both passes.

Woogeroo, loudbang, hendelec and 3 others like this.
  6. Champscotty58

Champscotty58

Good to see some nice, uneventful passes! Can't wait to see it all dialed in. It was nice to hang out for a short time.

7. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

It was good to finally meet you and your family.

8. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

9. Roadsir

Roadsir

Great job! Will you be at the HAMB drags in Joplin this year....Or the Fallout in September at Rock Falls?

10. I'm thinking the hamb drags won't happen but rock falls will.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Roadsir like this.
  11. 1949 caddyman

1949 caddyman
    from arizona

Are you in for Drag Week?

loudbang likes this.
  12. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

It's great to see everything coming together. I wish I was there to see it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  13. We are in drag week. While the weekend is still fresh in my head I made some changes.
    Main bypass increased from 80 to 100 to lean it out. As the rpm comes up the fuel pump puts out more volume. By 300 feet the engine is drowning in too much fuel.
    Upper blower pulley changed from a 52 down to a 48. This will increase boost and also lean it out some more. Over drive will be 25 %.
    The videos show the wheelie bars unloading the chassis. They will be raised to stop that.
    Timing will increase from 38 up to 42 degrees. This will have a big impact on the tune up. I would prefer 50 but the 12 volt starter won't start the engine. We might have to add another battery to make 24 volts. A separate switch would be added to go back to 12 volts when street driving.

14. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

The extra battery can always be well placed to aid weight distribution too.
    I noticed the wheelie bar wheels are starting to deteriorate. Will they hold up through drag week or effect a launch negatively?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  15. The outside edges got rounded off when I was on two wheels. They will be fine. With the bars raised up for the next test session i don't expect them to even touch the ground. I that becomes the case I will remove them completely like last year. The bars are a big pain for many reasons. I think they look ugly also.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  16. hendelec

hendelec

:cool::cool:
    Why not have tandem wheelie bars, they can be shorter & look more traditional :eek::rolleyes::cool:

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  17. Short bars are hard to tune. Higher hp cars need longer and stronger bars. They look extra long because i dont have any over hang from the trunk. If these were on a tri five Chevy they would look much different. I'm working on suspension adjustment so I can eventually remove them.

18. since the meltdown drags the car has been converted over for street duty. its out scaring women and children all over south east wisconsin. this coming weekend i plan on driving it out to elkhorn for the madison classics car show/swap meet. i might load up the trailer to simulate drag week driving. it never hurts to get more time in under similar road conditions. on the way home i most likely will stop in east troy for their show at the drive in. im not too thrilled with how loud the car is. i put mufflers in the zoomies that were supposed to help quiet the car down and they didnt do much. on a positive note the water temp is under control. the car is running cool at a nice 160 degrees. i think the aluminum block and bigger oil cooler are helping.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  19. squirrel

squirrel

as we know, the street driving is what kills most Drag Week cars. Great to see you're putting it through some serious testing!

I'm still plodding along on mine...but hopefully we'll get to go racing a pair of blown hemi cars that should never be driven, in a month and a half!

20. Yes the street driving kills alot of cars. Testing is everything as you know. I tried running the blower a little too fast. The engine didnt like it. The temp started running up to 185. A quick pulley swap fot less over drive brought them back in line. The engine temp is critical to maintaining the correct clearences inside the engine. As the temp goes up the rod and main clearances increase. This puts more strain on the oiling system. The deck height also increases changing the push rod adjustment. The upper pulley may need another step down after the trailer is hooked up. Time and testing will tell.

As a dog owner I'm sorry to hear of Jim's dog of many years passing away.

21. I'll be at Elkhorn bright & early Saturday, I'll keep an eye out for you.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  22. You will hear me before you see me. Looks like good weather. Looking forward to a big bar.

23. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I will try to find you also, I will be the guy gimping with a black cane. Gary:)

loudbang likes this.
  24. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Get the miles in to shake the bugs out before Drag Week.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and hendelec like this.
  25. That's the plan. We should arrive by 9am. The car will be parked near the s how area. We plan on hitting the swap meet first then hang out by the car.

26. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

enloe likes this.
  27. The first leg of today's trip went perfect. It's 90 plus degrees out with high humidity. With the trailer loaded up and the trunk lid on the engine ran at a cool 165. Getting stuck at the gate in traffic it got up to 180. The last few years we fought the heat every time we drove it. That's why we started taking off the trunk lid.
    The efi tune up was unchanged from the 392. Driving it to the car show Thursday night showed it was lean. I was on the phone last night with Andy Starr from hilborn electronic sales.we discussed the tune up and decided to increase the entire fuel map 15 percent. It runs better but needs more fuel. I will increase the map by another 5 percent before we leave for the next stop. 20180804_115138.jpg 20180804_115151.jpg

28. 20180804_183146.jpg Part two of the drive went even better. The extra 5 percent fuel that was added made it run better. We stopped at gusses drive in located in East troy Wi. While there we added another 5 percent fuel. Two more blown cars showed up. One was a rear engine bbc wheel stander the other a coupe running mechanically injected alchohol. The alchy coupe is owned by al McFadden. He was a nitro funny car and dragster driver. I haven't talked to him in a few years. He ran the last non hemi nitro dragster to qualify at a nhra event. He did It with a Ford shot gun engine during the early 90s. It was cool to catch up with him. The last leg of the drive was up i-43 north into Milwaukee then south down i-94 into oak creek for the show at Georgee porgies. This leg would be all free way driving. Again the car ran better still without any problems. It takes time behind the wheel to get it all sorted out. Things went great today as we get closer on our tune up. Alot has been learned in the last few days. 20180804_172130.jpg 20180804_172153.jpg

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Sounds like a heck of a little drive!

racer-x and loudbang like this.
  30. squirrel

squirrel

that's what I like to see...great job!

racer-x and loudbang like this.