Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Tapping fitting in a master cylinder.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coody, Jul 24, 2018.

1. coody

coody

Want to install a remote fill for my master cylinder.do not want to cut a hole in the floor board.i made the front floor board removable on the 31 model A.incase I need to get to the shifter or trans.is it possible to drill n tap cast iron?I believe that is what it is made of.tks 20180724_201640.jpg 20180724_201705.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. fatkoop

fatkoop

The lid is steel. The body of the master cyl. is cast iron. You can drill and tap either one, but the lid may be too thin to hold a thread.

3. coody

coody

I was thinking the same. Thinking of tapping the larger reservoir and drill I small hole between the two reservoir to maintain the same level. Maybe mount the reservoir on the fire wall or in the back of the sedan.

4. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

put a hole in the lid , no tap , put a fitting in that seals both sides( gasket)

RMONTY likes this.

5. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I think that small hole would defeat the purpose of the split reservoirs. How will you ascertain that the level is low without popping the cap of the reservoir? Perhaps you'll need a remote reservoir plumbed into the master cylinder and use that for checking the fluid level.

hendelec and rpm56 like this.
  6. coody

coody

not following what your saying.

hendelec likes this.
  7. coody

coody

I have a remote reservoir that will feed the master cylinder. That way wont have to remove the cap.

hendelec likes this.
  8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Where do you propose to mount reservoir as it needs to be above MC and accessible? A buddy did similar with an aluminum top on the MC with a hose to remote on firewall near rear of engine. I just put a blister on floor to cover, readily accessible if and when required as it's under front seat.

upload_2018-7-25_13-33-41.png

upload_2018-7-25_13-31-35.png

I've yet to tidy it up and put rivnuts in lieu of screws, only 15yrs now. My MC also has a small breather hole so a remote filler wouldn't work unless I changed the cap to a sealed machined one with hose fittings.

hendelec and Unkl Ian like this.
  9. rfraze

rfraze

Why not use a Chrysler m/c (or other) which is set up without a reservoir, but comes with connectors for supply from a remote reservoir. VW Super Beetles have a cool translucent reservoir and a similar m/c. 98-6203-b-empi-brake-master-cylinder-1971-1979-vw-super-beetle-new-113-611-015bh-ch-260731853[1].jpg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Rich S., hendelec and coody like this.
  10. Used a VW reservoir on my brothers pickup. We mounted it on the firewall and ran the hoses to the master. The reservoir is split, so you can tell if one side is low vs the opposite side. I drilled and tapped 1/8 pipe into the side of the m/c and used the same type hose as VW used. Also put gasket sealer on the lid to be sure there were no leaks.

hendelec and coody like this.
  11. coody

coody

I forgot about VW's going to check that and Chryslers out also.This is the last thing to do before setting the body on for good. A LONG TIME COMING!

hendelec likes this.
  12. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

sorry should have said bulkhead fitting , as for checking m/s level it would show on remote res. if level is down . fill master and fill res. to a certain level

13. Some 90's Mitsubishi cars have a remote master reservoir with a low level indicator switch built in. Popular as replacements on Jaguars when the OEM 'wine cork' float in theirs sinks....

rfraze and hendelec like this.
  14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't have a brass fitting catalog in front of me but you should be able to use a nut and gasket on any brass fitting that seats against a gasket in it's normal install.
    Most of those double master cylinders use a diaphragm style gasket to keep dirt an moisture out but you could and would have to cut the center out of it if you put fittings in the cap. That would let you use one remote and one line. I've been pondering it for a while on my 48 for the same reason.

15. alchemy

alchemy

Uh, what's wrong with a hole in the floor? Do you all just have bad backs?

I'd much rather deal with a small hatch in the floorboard than a bunch of extra fittings, hoses, and reservoirs.

16. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

That's what I did. Much easier IMO

hendelec and Unkl Ian like this.
  17. badvolvo

badvolvo

I do the door in the floor. 5 years on the 36, check it once a year, never added fluid.
    Building another the same way.

hendelec likes this.
  18. slim39

slim39
    from pa

If you cut the center out of the m/c or drill a small hole in it won't that make a single m/c or am i wrong just asking thanks

19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep in mind that if you use a traditional master cylinder and drill it to feed fluid from a remote supply, drill that fitting as high as you can on the M/C, because it will not fill beyond the top of that hole due to air being trapped in the M/C reservoir. This assumes that your cap has an airtight seal to the M/C.

Feeding fluid into the M/C cap would keep the amount of air trapped in the M/C to a minimum.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    hendelec and Bandit Billy like this.
  21. goldmountain

goldmountain

I made a remote reservoir for my car but couldn't come up with a proper hose that was brake fluid resistant locally but found it easily on ebay.

hendelec likes this.
  22. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I just used a brake line on a forklift that was difficult to check or fill. I drilled and tapped the master cylinder and the plastic reservoir. In that case I was able to put the reservoir at the correct level in a more accessable position.

hendelec likes this.
  23. XXL__

XXL__

FYI, Helix is Hoffman Group, so OP may want to look at other brand options if going this route.

24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OMG!. My bad. Don't order from them! Just showing there are products out there that are built for the purpose... Or an easy part to knock off on the bridgeport.

gimpyshotrods and XXL__ like this.
  25. Nope, there’s more to it than that, it would partially defeat the purpose of a tandem master though

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Happydaze likes this.
  26. slim39

slim39
    from pa

27. coody

coody

Tks guys this is a lot of good info. If I was to install a remote reservoir, tap two lines in so you would know which reservoir is low. Cutting a door in the floor is the easier route! thanks again!

28. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

punch a hole and put a cover over it. If you have to go remote due to space limitation, you can cut the resevior down for fitting clearence, the vent hole for the fluid must be in the external fill res. and baffled to keep fluid from spitting out. Both Willwood and Tilton offer remote fill systems

Attached Files:

29. I know there are many solutions for remote fills and reservoirs for underfloor m/c's. I too did not want to lift the floor carpet and panel to check and refill the reservoir. I simply do it from underneath the car using a pump oil can (though it is now a dedicated brake fluid can) with a flexible nozzle. Pretty simple actually and works well.

XXL__ likes this.
  30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Lifting the floor mat seems much easier than the alternatives!
    20161110_101244.jpg

Rich S. likes this.