Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest What’s interesting near you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boneyard51, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

A while back in a thread a man was wanting to donate a special car to somewhere that would appreciate and keep it. I mentioned Speedway Museum, as I had been there and saw how they ran things. Someone else mentioned Gilmore Museum in Michigan. Well...after I left the Meltdown Drags, which by the way was AWESOME, I found myself buzzing down the interstate headed to a friends house , and saw a sign “ Gilmore Museum “ well just had to go there. Words cannot describe the sights to see there.... had some outstanding cars and bikes and related items. An old car lovers paridice.

I got to thinking..... how many jewels have I passed on my travels, just because I was unaware out them? Had I not read that post about the Gilmore, I would have dismissed it’s as a tourist trap and ignored it.

So... how about a thread where H.A.M.B.E.Rs could post any interesting acttractions around their home and kinda give us a review?

Bones

2. TWKundrat

TWKundrat

The Franklin Auto Museum in Tucson is a hidden gem. You could drive right by it and miss it if you didn't know it was there. It's off of a dirt road in an old residential neighborhood in the middle of town and the only sign of it from the road is the name on the mailbox. I think you have to make an appointment to visit, but it's well worth checking out and the museum houses a really impressive collection of Franklins.

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

This is less than fifteen minutes from me and I haven't been there yet.
    To quote Joe Walsh "They tell me it's nice".

http://www.worldofspeed.org

4. I work on cars at a soon to open museum in Vancouver, WA.
    A few are HAMB friendly

2014_07_0 showroom 1.JPG

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

What is the name of the museum ?

chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.
  6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

And when is the opening ?

Boneyard51 likes this.
  7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

8. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Two hours from me is a shed full of Bugatti ....used to be an awesome place to visit and get up close to some of these fast art pieces

9. The Museum Cars by Ron Wade.
    Opening this fall.

10. wicarnut

wicarnut

Hartford Wisconsin, near intersection of hwy 60 & hwy 83, Wisconsin Automotive Museum, part of the Kissel Motor Car plant, produced 1906-1931, lots of Nash, classic cars, old Evinrude outboards and Southeastern Wisconsin Short Track Hall of Fame, Stock Cars/Modified's that ran 5/6 nights a week 50's into 80's, in the Milwaukee area. This is well worth a visit and while you're there go to the Mine Shaft Restaurant after, (Pub Style) one of the the largest restaurants in Wisconsin and Excellent.

11. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Eastern Museum Of Motor Racing ten miles North of Gettysburg and another 30 or so miles gets you to Hershey, PA for the AACA museum.

12. Deuces

Deuces

The Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn Michigan...

13. 392

My dog Jaeger :D

chryslerfan55, Boneyard51 and Deuces like this.
  14. Amarillo.......Bill's Backyard Classics........... Outstanding collection of top notch cars in a variety of different classes, but mostly 50's and 60's. High percentage of GM cars with (thankfully) very few tri five Chevies.
    Google it!

15. Nothing around my neck of the woods. HRP

16. Pretty bleak here as well, Danny.

Boneyard51 and chevy57dude like this.
  17. 32Dan

32Dan
    from Chino, CA

18. Used to be a Chrysler Turbine car (Kleptz collection) in my town but think it got sold.

Boneyard51 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. F&J

F&J

just because there are no dust collecting car museums in those areas, does not mean there is nothing special there. It must be interesting if you set your aging roots there, right?

I can't speak for anyone but me, but I've seen enough freakin cars in my decades, now I want to see every random thing on both sides of the road, or ...stop to meet even more people..

Even the guy below "gets it" :)

20. .....................Wow! You had to bring up the "aging roots" thing.:D;)

chryslerfan55, Boneyard51 and F&J like this.
  21. My reply was based on what I assumed the OP was asking,Is anything interesting as to relating to the Automobile, Museums and such,again nothing.

As far as History this area is rich with interesting places. HRP

22. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

The Shelby Museum in Boulder Co

23. Hey Don, don't forget about the Smithsonian American History Museum in DC.
    Lowrider in there among others and WWII exhibit also

24. Only one state away, Wheels Through Time museum in Maggie Valley NC............ Yeah I know "Motorcycles" but still cool as hell.

25. X2, All kinds of great things to see in DC car guy or not.

26. What?......Don's Hot Rods and Memorabilia museum in Lothian. Takes you two days to see it all!;)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  27. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I have been to that one! Greatest MC museum in the world! They all run there, on the weekends the owner and his friends select bikes , fuel them up and ride them like they stold em! Black marks all over the place! Very unique museum. Will buy and sell parts. Wonderful guys, six of us on bikes landed there 11 years ago and luckily got the vip tour.

Bones

chryslerfan55 and wraymen like this.
  28. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Thank you

29. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Have been there a time or two. Dad was a member there. I have quite a few t shirts :cool:

30. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I will have to remember that one.