Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Welcome to the 2018 Meltdown Drags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Oct 12, 2017.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great stuff, thanks for sharing.

loudbang likes this.
  3. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

I take it our ratchet strap auxiliary trans mount on scotts car didn't help the 3rd gear hang up? We had to pull out before that show down took place. And if he puts a sourglide in it I'd like to have the toploader for my backup parts pile. ( like saltys dumpster). Just sayin

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  4. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

I realize Im probably going to sound like a broken record to some but , I really don't think it can be said enough... To the entire meltdown staff, and the crew at Byron dragway, thank you very much from our entire "crew" for your relentless year long effort to organize this event and for your tenacity to pull it all off when you're not handed the best of conditions. Nothing good is ever easy and that was proven this weekend. It's not always easy on us guys getting ready and making it there. This drag racing shit ain't all " puppies and rainbows ". But we all came together with a common obsession and passion. The meltdown drags has accomplished something that seems to be impossible today. It has brought people together ...the east coast guys with west coast guys the northern guys with the southern guys t the ford gm and mopar guys together, motorcycle guys with car guys and hell people from different countries, the list goes on. But more importantly it has inspired young guys ( Wyatt & cody, just to name two) to carry on this traditional style of car building and racing . A style that came long before they were born. Hell before I was born! And listen young guys, this ain't no " flash in the pan trend". The meltdown drags represents the ultimate era of drag racing. It has inspired Fathers, sons and even grandfathers to build and race cars together. It has introduced a by gone era to a new generation who will hopefully keep it alive and keep it going for generations to come. I'm proud to be a part of it. To hopefully inspire a younger guy to build something traditional and go run the living shit out of it. Thanks to my H.A.M.B. Meltdown buddies on here. Norb, Scott, Roger , James, Randy and all the rest of you.I had a fuckn blast this weekend! And thanks MDA and Byron dragway for what you do

5. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Way to put it into words.
    I also wanted to say thanks for feeding Ethan and I supper Saturday night.

6. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Scott, You should have told Jeff that James could have fix that and you two could have been out there breaking something else in no time!! Speaking of breaking, how did that " new and improved" transmission mount work. Larry

7. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

Glad to do it

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

[​IMG]
    Thank you to all involved with the Meltdown! To the track crew y’all outta get a raise! Mother Nature is a cold bitch some days! Y’all really busted your ass getting us a track to run on. We managed two passes is all the first one Friday night was the best yet. Saturday we had the shift cable go to crap on us. So this was the first year we got to be fans and just watch. Would have rather been running but the show was great.
    Here is a parting shot as we loaded up and left for home Sunday morning.

9. A9E020EC-9EB2-41AB-91F0-FEBF2433C35F.gif

10. ...here's some random stuff,...the 1975 Dodge Big Horn semi ( was used for the pin-up contest) belongs to Ron Leek, original owner of the Byron dragstrip, he opened it on July 4th, 1964, we should all thank him.
    ,...one of the nicest tracks anywhere.
    BTW, Ed Iskendarian just celebrated his 97th birthday a few days ago,...and this year the oldest guy racing was 89 years old!....we should all be so lucky.
    2018 meltdown 005.jpg 2018 meltdown 004.jpg 2018 meltdown 044.jpg 2018 meltdown 050.jpg 2018 meltdown 054.jpg 2018 meltdown 061.jpg 2018 meltdown 063.jpg 2018 meltdown 068.jpg 2018 meltdown 075.jpg 2018 meltdown 059.jpg 2018 meltdown 094.jpg 2018 meltdown 095.jpg 2018 meltdown 112.jpg 2018 meltdown 113.jpg

11. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Well I just got home and parked my pile in the yard amongst the other crap lol It just can't be said enough but thank you meltdown crew for making a rainy event awesome and the Byron track crew for making the track safe and race able they certainly worked their asses off this weekend that's for sure As far as my dragster goes after a bunch of tuning issues and some big help from some really knowledgeable guys I was able to make a decent full pass on Sunday it's not setting the world on fire but it ran a 11.40 with a 1.41 60 ft time which is the best launch ever it's still real rich on the top end so I'm gonna get a high speed bypass put in and hopefully that will cure that issue I had a really great time and was glad to see the lakeshore shaker make some real good runs I know I'm not alone in the fact that we were all excited to see scott haul some ass and return to the pits under power. AJ just remember buddy my last pass may not have been super spectacular but it was still faster than yours lol norb it was great to hang out and ol Tickety boo was looking great and didn't run half bad either lol. Riff raff and hot dog you guys are awesome and tell randy thanks again as he really helped with the injector Saltflats the ol salt shaker was hauling some ass that thing is badass Larry, enloe, and ethan it was great to see you guys wish I could have had more time to visit I also want to thank Patrick (luckys8ba) aka panty dropper and mikey brown aka Seam ripper and saxxon you guys really helped me out of a bind with some needed fuel hose and fittings you guys rock Brian (racerx) thank you for taking the time to give me some much needed advice and helping me out I'm not sure you realize how much our little chat helped me in getting to make a full pass this year I'm sure I'm forgetting something and someone and sorry for the long post but to all who helped me and to those who put on this event THANK YOU!!!!!!

12. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Heard the professional photo folks got a shot of our junk Friday night. I spaced off getting the print bought. Who knows the name of the outfit? I can give them a holla and see if we can still get one.

13. D-man313

D-man313

Thank you to everyone in the Meltdown crew for what they do to put this event on. We had some issues that put us up for the weekend but we had a awesome time as always.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

14. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I have some from one of the other events. Torquefest maybe? I’ll see if I can find them.

Edit: it was Scrap Drive.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sorry about the image sizes. For some reason the app is only allowing 640x480 tonight. If you want the full resolution images, let me know.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Thanks
    It appears he has upped his game since this event.

16. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

I have there card in the trailer. I can get it tonight

17. I'm interested in the photographers number to.
    Pete ores the groves photag was there. Check his site for pics. Ores action photography.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  18. Cara Marie

Cara Marie

Major upgrade. Its 438ci with injection now. 20180720_145610.jpeg 20180720_143536.jpeg 20180720_145545.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

That would be great! Thank you! Apparently the gal that came by was very attractive and had DubG all got a bothered and he didn’t think to ask how much for the photo! Lol.

20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And a supercharger.
    Those are some sexy headers too!

chryslerfan55 and hendelec like this.
  21. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

[​IMG]
    I hate to sound like a broken record. But they deserve it. Fantastic job Meltdown crew and Byron Dragway!! You guys and gals rock! We had the time of our life. Many thanks. I finally had to tell this kid we have got to go home park it. She would have kept making lap after lap. Slowest car there and you couldn’t knock the smile off her face. She is hooked and ready to go faster. [​IMG][​IMG]

She drove the first 165 miles home before little ( Cha Cha) couldn’t go no more

22. hendelec

hendelec

Old M/T valve covers with a spacer would look good :cool:

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

You guys might look at Dean Coryell for pictures. He did an amazing job. A couple of my daughters senior pictures [​IMG][​IMG]

24. Saxxon

Saxxon

When the preregistration filled up in 3 days - we knew something had changed.
    When we showed up on Thursday at 1:30 and saw 200 trailers already there - we knew the event would never be the same.
    When we saw how much fun people were having and how many spectators showed up on that rainy Friday - we knew the event was a success
    When we left Saturday night, tired, happy and with faces hurting from the talking and smiling - we knew the event had persevered and overcame the elements
    When we headed home Sunday and there were still 200 cars making passes - we knew we would be back for the 10th anniversary

I will never tire of telling the MDA how good of a job they all do. Events of this size look effortless because of all the effort put into it when no-one is around. From the signage to the coordination to the job assignments to the static displays to the racer giveaways to the souvenir tent - it was what made our experience great... it was a phenomenal effort.

Kudos to the track... well done kids. Track drying was fast and constant, track prep was awesome. Lane management and starting line management was professional and business like. Clean ups were a breeze... Outstanding !!

Thank you Byron Dragway. Thank You MDA and Thank You fellow participants

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  25. Saxxon

Saxxon

Is there where I tell you - I had a high speed bypass and an assortment of washers, pills and springs - sitting in my trailer - that I would had been happy to let you mess with ??

Should I duck from you throwing a wrench at me ??

I t was great to see you... I was very happy to be of assistance if it meant you could keep running or at least running better

26. jimdillon

jimdillon

I agree with all of the other complimentary sentiments. I am unapologetically a creature of 60s drag racing and the Meltdown drags is as close as one can get to going back to that era. I have a lot of great memories of the 60s era and am making new and great memories from the last 6 Meltdown drags I have attended. I have heard rumors of the future of the event and hope for the best with the event and my ability to attend the greatest drag race weekend for years to come. It goes without saying that the MDA and Byron track officials go out of their way to make it a successful event. I was wondering on Friday about mid-day how we would ever get some racing in but once again we have some great memories to take away. On Friday I tried to make the rounds of all the great friends I have made and that alone takes a good deal of time since there are so many kindred spirits that make the event the best. Kudos to all.

27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

We made the trip home safe.
    You know it is hard to leave, because you don't want it to stop.
    A big THANK YOU to the Byron Dragway crew and the Meltdown crew. Your hard work, dedication and perseverance makes this event the best vintage drag race on the planet hands down.

It was great to meet some new people and get to spend some time ratchet jawing.
    Sorry the video crew couldn't make the trip with us this year.
    Chris was there with a press pass so he should have some good pictures to share.
    On a very jealous note, I let Chris wheel the Salt Shaker down the track, now being a true crew chief I am, I never noticed that Chris was racing Scott.
    Just to set the record straight, the Salt Shaker ran a better ET than the Lakeshore Shaker did and knowing damn good and well the outcome would have been much different had the salty one been behind the wheel.
    Scott you better frame that time slip.
    I do have a crappy video of the run I will try and post later.

28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

My missed opportunity. :(

29. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Saxxon i already had borrowed a bypass and the fuel line and fitting I got from you worked perfectly I didn't even have to cut it lol thanks again anyone who tells you racers won't help anyone is complete bull$h!/ I had so much help and I really didn't even have to ask these folks found me and offered to help

30. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

You guys get all this stuff figured out. I can see injection and alcohol in the model A’s future