Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 57 Chevy Budget 4 door build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RaginPin3Appl3, Aug 5, 2017.

1. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I just sat and read through this whole thread....This is what hot rodding is all about. I swear some of you guys have the patience of Jobe! But hopefully we have another youngster to carry on our sickness! Reminds me of myself buggin the old guys down at the corner shop with my 57 150 in 1977 when I was 14. Good job Guys:D

2. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Ahhhhhhhhhhh yes.The mating call of the driveway bell.Did that too.Was most fun during the Summer beach season:rolleyes::p.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

3. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

So, i’ve got a stuck brake on the right front. I’ve got no idea how to unstick it, do i have to take the whole drum off?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Stuck as whole wheel/rub won't turn or brake shoes don't move?

5. flatford39

flatford39

Wonder how that happened?? You had no problem rolling it in there. It's been there awhile maybe it has surface rust on it holding it. Did you jack up that wheel and try to spin it by hand. You may have to use a large pry bar between the studs.

Those have bendix self adjusters don't they?? If they do you can try to close the shoes by adjusting them. There is a tool for it but a screw driver will do as well. Look on the the bottom of the backing plate for a slot you can stick a flat blade screw driver in and try closing them.

I suspect it is just rusted so try jacking it up and pry on it it break it.

hendelec likes this.
  6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

No. Makes things much easier when backing off shoes from the back side of backing plate.
    [​IMG]

7. RMONTY

RMONTY

He should have the brake adjusting tool. I call it a spoon. I think the little kit I sent to young Pineapple came with one. I wonder if the wheel cylinder isn't all gummed up. A few really good whacks with a dead blow hammer may free things up.

8. flatford39

flatford39

What's that a pic of JGEE??? I see the adjuster on the bottom. I swear I adjusted them on my 57 when I was in HS from the backside of the backing plate. I have owned a lot of cars over the years and your memory gets all muddied after awhile.

Are you saying on a Chevy you pulled the drum to adjust them??

9. RMONTY

RMONTY

I think he is showing that it is a typical adjuster. I've never seen self adjusters on the front wheels of any car that I recall.

Johnny Gee and RaginPin3Appl3 like this.
  10. flatford39

flatford39

It's pretty easy to take the front drum off if you have to. Just pry the dust cap off the spindle and take off the castellated nut. Should be a cotter pin in there you remove after the dust cap. Then grab the tire and give it all a good yank. You may want to keep an eye on what position the wheel bearings are in and the big flat washer so you can install them in the correct manner.

11. RMONTY

RMONTY

What flatford said....but back the shoes off with the adjuster in case the brakes have been adjusted beyond their means. I've seen shoes with grooves in them holding the drum on until the shoes are loosened enough to get the drum off over the shoes.

czuch likes this.
  12. flatford39

flatford39

I am building a 31 Ford roadster right now and I have Ford F-1 front backing plates on them. There is a little rubber plug you remove to stick your spoon into to adjust the brakes without removing the drum. The whole thought is to be able to adjust for proper drag with the wheel and tire on the car so you can spin it.

Drove more Chevy's than Fords all my life and I could have swore I remember doing this on a couple of them. Could be wrong though.

RaginPin3Appl3 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. RMONTY

RMONTY

You are correct. But they aren't self adjusting.

RaginPin3Appl3 likes this.
  14. RMONTY

RMONTY

When I was going through the front brakes on my Waking up a sleeping 235" thread, or whatever it was called, I had to loosen the adjuster with my brake spoon to get the drum off. Pineapple may cuss after he realizes he just tightened instead of loosened the adjuster. Ask me how I know! :rolleyes:

RaginPin3Appl3 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Well here’s what i tried. I took the wheel off, then i removed the spring from the outside of the drum, then beat on it with a sledge hammer for a half hour, then i took the cotter pin, nut, and bearing out of the hub and beat on it again and it’s still stuck solid. If theres a hole on the backing plate i can turn an adjuster with that would be great because its solid as rock right now

16. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Will try the mentioned method. My dad’s father in law also recommended the same thing, he said its gotta be over adjusted so i’ll try that and see if i can get it spinning

17. flatford39

flatford39

You may need to rent a wheel puller if it's stuck that bad. I am having a hard time believing this thing got that stuck inside a garage. It rolled in fine didn't it???

18. RMONTY

RMONTY

You seem to have an issue with things just getting "stuck" on their own Lol! The spring on the drum is only there to kill squealing from the drum due to harmonics. It has nothing to do with brake operation. It didn't need to come off. Take the bent screwdriver looking tool and insert it into the slot and pivot it like a lever until you can't move it any further. You will either be tightening or loosening the shoes. It should make a springy clicking sound as you move the adjuster. As I mentioned, you may go the wrong direction the first time. At some point it will begin to adjust easily, THEN you know you are loosening it. It's not the quickest process so have patience.

19. RMONTY

RMONTY

If a puller is needed, the spindle is probably shot. I'm betting on a stuck wheel cylinder.

flatford39 and Johnny Gee like this.
  20. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

RMONTY understands. vvvvvv

21. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Well i tried to turn the star adjuster with the tool i have for it and i can’t get it to turn either direction. It just slips off every time and i smash my fingers over and over

22. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Also i put penetrating oil on it and let it sit for a few mins and same thing

23. RMONTY

RMONTY

Keep soaking it. Keep trying to adjust it. That car sat for many years and the rust and brake dust has everything jammed up. Put on some gloves and get after it! It will come off, I promise. You aren't the first one with a stuck star adjuster.

chryslerfan55 and flatford39 like this.
  24. RMONTY

RMONTY

Use PB Blaster on it!

flatford39 likes this.
  25. RMONTY

RMONTY

Also try adjusting it in both directions.

flatford39 and Johnny Gee like this.
  26. RMONTY

RMONTY

If you aren't familiar with the feel of how those things adjust, it can be a little tricky. But keep at it. It's metal and has no brain. You are a rock and have a big brain! Now go take the Fucking thing apart! :eek:

27. flatford39

flatford39

No shit....

28. flatford39

flatford39

Rmonty you are right they are self energizing not self adjusting. Got my adverbs confused. Again I can't figure out how he got it in the garage and not notice this problem. That thing is not going to get stuck like that just sitting in a garage.

You may be right about the wheel cylinder.

29. RMONTY

RMONTY

Ive had wheel cylinders stuck like that but sometimes if you can get the car to move a "little bit", the pressure of the shoes pushing against the pistons in the wheel cylinder will cause the cylinder to "relax" enough to move the car. Pineapple didnt mention if he had tried hooking a chain to the car and gently pulling it with another vehicle. Sometimes that in itself is enough to break things free.

30. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Oh I definitely had it chained to my truck, the only thing I accomplished that way was laying rubber in the driveway with the s10. Well the good news is, I won! Turns out the washer that goes behind the inner bearing was mangled and twisted. I took the wheel hub nut off, put the rim back on it and gorilla shook it until it came off, it spins free now, missing a couple parts and only a temp fix but i finally beat it! IMG_8013.JPG IMG_8015.JPG

Sometimes the key to getting something done is just being angry enough at it. That’s how i got the engine bolts to line up eventually too was just being to pissed for it to not work!