Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Need advice on driving Route 66

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 5window, Jul 19, 2018.

1. 5window

5window

I am contemplating traveling the parts of Route 66 I haven't done this fall-basically all of it except Illinois. The plan is to fly to St. Louis, rent a vehicle and drive to the end in Santa Monica, visit relatives in Leucadia and fly home from San Diego.

I have lots of the guide books and maps, but I need some practical advice on how long to allow for the drive. I expect to see a moderate amount of the sites, but not every single route variation or alternative route. So, if you have experience, please relate your trip. Should I allow an average of 100 miles a day, 150 or ? So far my only must stop is the Wigwam Motel in Holbrook, AZ. Missed staying there on a visit twenty years ago because I was e=ignorant. Won't ,ake that mistake twice.

Thanks for the advice.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

when are you planning to go? I'm planning to do it the week of Halloween, this year...in the LaSalle Hearse, if all goes well.

3. 5window

5window

Probably leave end of August or early September. I've got a lot of contractors working on my house in October. I worry a bit about the weather in November.

4. flat 39

flat 39

get you reservations in early for the Wigwam. It fills up fast.

belair likes this.

5. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

The more stops, the longer it takes. When traveling to estimate time/distance, I always figure on average with gas/food and potty stops 50 mph is fairly accurate, that's no extra stops. I'll bet you won't average 25 mph or less on route 66.....Lot's N Lot's of neat places to see.

Truck64 likes this.
  6. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Our trip was disappointing. From east to west about ten years ago. Started somewhere in northern Texas. The route thru some cities changed over the years. Guide book had all routes. Detailed first route - turn by turn. Then gave the date that it changed to second route - turn by turn. At least 3 or 4 different routes sometimes. Which will you do? All? And some of these urban areas are places I didn't want to be. Then further to the west - flat empty land. Probably not actually desert - maybe some scrub brush. Road was two lane and not particularly well maintained. We could do about 45 mph in our truck camper. Flat. Nothing to see. Mile after mile. And several hundred yards to the south was the Interstate with traffic buzzing along at top speed. Finally gave up and got on Interstate. For a while. Later back on 66 went thru a small nondescript town. Nothing to see but an abandoned gas station - probably 1940s. 2 bays, office. Made of enameled white panels. Property all overgrown. No signs. Guide book recommended a restaurant where locals eat. Couldn't find it. Ask a local who said it had closed years ago. City of Albuquerque has aged well. 1950s diner was good lunch stop. Very early Methodist church had traditional service Sunday AM. Gave up completely before California. Never saw the miles of neon or the wigwam motel. Went on to LA and car museum, then to the Nethercutt museum in Sylmar (sp?). Then up the coast and on and on. Best to learn from those who have made the trip as you are doing.

7. Never drove route 66. ive made plenty of trips to calif and back pulling a refer trailer. But it was all on the super slab. mostly I 40. Ive watched videos of folks doing the route 66 trip. Back when I drove truck the Buried caddys near Amarillo where by the interstate. I think they have been relocated.

8. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

It was hooked full when we planned out trip a few years ago. Google found a web site.

http://www.sleepinawigwam.com/index.html

9. Rckt98

Rckt98

I did it 15 years ago, with 4 other car guys. We weren't in a hurry and took our time to see what interested us including detours to Las Vegas and a lot of car related side trips. Took us a couple of weeks, Chicago to L.A.
    We had a blast.

10. Hey guys, does anyone know if the Oilers have set the dates for TROG 2019?

Making plans to go next year, and would like to get my hotel reservations in early. I would love a room with a beach view, and I'm sure they fill up fast.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to stay?

11. Sorry about the post! I meant to start a new post...

Reading about rt 66 made me think of it.

5window likes this.
  12. 5window

5window

They say two weeks on the website, but I'd make reservations as soon as I figure out a budget and a timeline, which is why I'm asking for help. We did the Illinois part in a long day, but had to skip some thing-like being at a diner at the wrong time of day- and downtown Chicago, but easily could have spent 2-3 days doing the same thing. I'm sort of figuring 100-150 miles a day and if I get ahead of things, maybe a side trip to bryce canyon again.

chryslerfan55 and Special Ed like this.
  13. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Did the Route 66 trip first in Oct of 1957. Was a blast! Was still “ Route 66” then. Tulsa, still has the blue whale. On toward OKC there is the round barn, an old 66 icon. Close to there is a motorcycle museum, that is not old, but is in an old gas station that’s worth seeing if you like bikes. On past there is a soda pop store where you can get any soda pop made, even ranch dressing flavored soda pop. Those are the ones close to me that I’m familiar with. I sure there are others. And those are on the old 66 slab.

Bones

14. 5window

5window

Thanks!

15. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Use the search feature and check out my thread Tripping on RT.66 which another couple joined my wife and I, we made the run this spring from Missouri to the Santa Monica pier.
    Let me suggest you gather info from the states RT.66 associations and we used a few guide books to plan your daily destinations.
    The EZ 66 Guide for Travelers by Jerry McClanahan is very detailed and most helpful.
    We did it our way and enjoyed every aspect of our trip. Have fun and good luck on your adventure, the memories are priceless.

16. gatz

gatz

17. 5window

5window

Thanks for the site, I signed up. mcjerry66.com is the site for the guy who wrote the 66 guide I am using and also has updates. I guess the point of aimless driving and old road is to take a detour if you need to.

chryslerfan55 and Special Ed like this.
  18. I did it. It was great. You may not see Sasquatch, meet aliens in a flying saucer, find Elvis or Buddy Holly alive at the front desk of some roadside motel, enter a time loop and be transported back to 1949, but what the heck; we live in a huge, awesome country, go see it. I did it before GPS, so I was lost most of the time but that was the fun of it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. 5window

5window

How long did it take you? Did you do it all in one long trip?

20. Lost in the Fifties

Lost in the Fifties

We did it last year in 3 weeks. We left Texas and started in Chicago. Chicago to Amarillo is the best part of the trip. All those states keep up signage and many original sites. Americana still exists! After this first part of the trip, we went home and rested a week and caught up on laundry before continuing to California. We are 72 and 68 and needed the time. From Texas to California not a lot of the old sites or much of Old Route 66 exist. We also did not find the neon lights like even 10 years ago. Do it, you will have great memories!

21. I caught it around St Louis.

It was 1992.

I was 23 years old. bought a 1974 Ford Van in Boston for $125. Glued plywood over the gaping hloes in the floors, I put my motorcycle and all my junk into it. Headed out alone to move to LA CA. I wasn’t in a hurry, I took 2-3 weeks (it was a conversion van with shag carpeting, so I slept in the van).

I stayed on Route 66 for most of it, occasionally pipping on a freeway. One of the best times in my life.

(The reason I had to move to LA involved a stripper, fast cars and the police-story for another time....)[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    chryslerfan55, jnaki and Special Ed like this.
  22. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Its been awhile ,we did different parts at different times. Seem to remember some cool stuff in Tulsa, nice museum in Kingman Ar. also Oatman Ar. they rerouted it at one time but its a cool town run by Donkeys. Not sure what is available on the Illinois and Mo part. Best of luck.

23. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Route 66 museum is on Andy Devine Blvd (Rt 66) and is worth a stop. The place to get back on 66 is Seligman, AZ amd the old road goes to Kingman which is about 80 miles. On west of Kingman the old road goes through Oatman. I would not take a motorhome on that route but I have seen it done. Narrow, rough, and plenty of switchbacks. Past Oatman, the road straightens out. Don't forget to feed the donkeys.

chryslerfan55, i.rant and robracer1 like this.
  24. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

The car museum in Santa Rosa New Mexico is worth going to.

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, more than one challenge to try and do what is left of Route 66 - might take a look for other routes that were major transportation roadways like the Lincoln Hwy, part of which came through Northern Calif - and US Route 40 (started 1926) East/West - Wilmington, Delaware to San Francisco, CA - pics from outside Auburn, CA on Ophir Rd - US Route 40 replaced by Interstate I-80 20180719_123847.jpg 20180719_123830.jpg 20180719_123942.jpg 20180719_123947.jpg

26. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

We done parts of 66 in the fall of 2004. stayed the first night in Springfield , MO. and picked up 66 off and on westward. Hit some of the museums, stayed at the Wigwams, saw the Petrified Forest, stood on the corner in Winslow AZ, when through caverns with a stuffed sloth, Grand Canyon, Williams, Seligman, Hackberry, stayed with friends in Kingman. When we went to Oatman my wife about lost it on the roads but loved the donkeys running around every where. We then went to Vegas and on the California. Went up the coast then east to Reno, Utah, Yellowstone, South Dakota(Mt. Rushmore) and back home to Ohio. Done it all in 2 weeks and drove 6,750 miles. Now that I am retired I hope we can go again, I want to take more time and stop at more places this time.

i.rant and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

A good set of maps, down to the county road/dirt track level are what you want. Some basic camping gear, and this opens up a lot more possibilities. The Interstate system is great if you're trying to get somewhere. That really isn't the point.

"Back in the day" two lane roads sucked. Bad. Now they are OK, because the traffic load is gone. State parks, county parks, 4-calendar cafes, historical sites, ghost towns, National Forests and Monuments, the backroads are the ONLY way to travel. Many of the Western states have thousands of miles of good graded dirt and gravel that is suitable for 2wd in good weather. Always carry plenty of drinking water and extra food, and don't be too particular about a timeframe or destination. Some of the neatest spots aren't anywhere near the main drag. Route 66 is just the most well known of the old highway system, there's plenty more where that came from.

chryslerfan55 and i.rant like this.
  28. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you stop in Moriarty, NM you should stop in Archie Lewis' museum of toys, classic cars, and lot full of stuff outside. Archie will not sell anything so save your breath. Don't forget to pet his dog. It cost a couple of bucks to go through it but, in my opinion, it is worth it.

5window likes this.
  29. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Historic Route 66 runs right through my town of Fontana, CA. on Foothill Blvd. You'll have to get off the I-10 and bend the road slightly to get to it.

Foothill Blvd will take you through part of San Bernardino, Rialto, Fontana, Cucamonga, Upland, Ontario, Pomona, Laverne, West Covina and San Dimas. Beginning in the spring and through the fall, there are cruising tourists in cars and on bikes taking this route. We see so many out of state cruiser's and their cool ass cars. So many!

If you're here during September 21-22, 2018, You'll be able to get to the "ROUTE 66 CRUISIN’ REUNION" held in Ontario at Euclid Ave.

chryslerfan55 and jnaki like this.
  30. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amen, brother. I guess to those who were not there it appears to be something it was not (some kind of Americana Shangri-La). Stuck behind slow trucks and having to stop at every Podunk stop light did not a great trip make. And the motels, gas stations, museums, and neon? Well, there was no "isn't this quaint or cool" feeling strong enough to overcome the frustration of not being able to make good time, these were just the fast-food, convenience stores of the day, they were not appreciated for their quaintness at the time any more than the commercial stuff is today.

Don't get me wrong, I now remember the 50's and 60's with the same nostalgic enthusiasm as the next guy. For those of us who grew up in the 50s and 60s, it is about reminiscing, it is about appreciating how few people there were back then and how much simpler life was, and how much of it was spent outdoors. But that is hindsight . . . at the time, trying to make time by car was not much fun.

I am not sure why I am bringing this up, I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, and I would certainly be enthusiastic about making this trip today. I just feel like there might be a slight disconnect for the younger crowd about what it was like "back in the day." Certainly don't want to hijack your thread.

@Truck64 is right, you cannot beat travelling by the Blue Highways today. Of course, that is one advantage to getting on in years, travel is not about making time, it is about being in the moment. :)

Good luck on your trip @5window!