Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Car Shows As I Have Enjoyed - Now GONE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roddin-shack, Jul 9, 2018.

1. strait8

strait8
    from Skokie, IL

I just went to a show in Delaven WI. THe Cars Time Forgot at Lake Lawn Resort. Great day! OVer 1100 cars next to the lake. Lots of different stuff of all era's. My favorite is happens to be the 50's. It has changed over the years. My first ride was a 70 Chevelle. Got married had kids and got out of the car thing. Happened to go to the Hunnert Car Pile up back in 2010. Lots of patina, survivor, jalopy even rat rods. This show opened my eyes to the idea of an unfinished car that I could have fun with without worrying about the kids scratching it. It got me back into cars and I am having a ball. My car is not a rat rod but it certainly is not a high quality work of art. I probably lower the property values in others opinions. Especially when I park next to a ride that belongs in a museum. I do know that my car makes people smile whether they are laughing at me or with me. At the Delaven show there were cars that I would never own or build but they make me smile. I can appreciate different tastes. Shows like Symco are my favorite because of the periodness of it all. The cars, the music, the dress, the vendors, even the guys that lived it. Then there are the shows that are a sort of history lesson. They have everything. Problem is there is a tuner next to an 80's citation next to a 51 Mercury next to a rat rod. It's like a playlist that goes from Saturday night fever to Buddy Holly then to Jay-Z. There is no flow. Maybe if the shows were organized like a museum where each period or style was grouped together guys would not have as much of an issue. If you do not like a period or style don't enter that part of the museum. Everybody could get to participate in the show young and old, modern or vintage, modified or not. Play music that fits the vibe of the area. Encourage the attire of that period. Most of all enjoy the love of cars, creativity, and people of all ages.

Born in 60's I was a teen in the mid 80's. Wish I was a teen in the mid 50's and living in 2018. Need em all!

Shamus and wicarnut like this.
  2. LAROKE

LAROKE

Thanx, Hank is an inspiration to us other geezers in his circle in South Florida. He graduated from high school in 1948, the year before I was born and I can't keep up with him. We were having coffee one morning when someone asked if he had military service. Hank said Army and went quiet. After a minute, I asked "The blue or the gray?"

R A Wrench and 30tudor like this.
  3. 2MNYTYS

2MNYTYS
    from MN

Yeah ok!

Me too, as a member for over 20 years I have heard all kinds of wild accusations and no proof!

I know we discussed this back then and agreed to disagree. But here I am again and will say it again. The bold part is true, BUT the documents were found and presented to the board, the membership, and then turned over to the accountant, auditor and lawyer and all was found to be legit. But that was mysteriously never reported by the then secretary because she had other agendas... And MSRA has used the same accounting firm for the last 20 years, so no they didn't get "the boot".

And how much of your money are you insured for at one bank? Seems like a smart decision to have multiple savings accounts and CDs to protect your money.

I suggest that you attend a meeting if you are able too. You can see the full financials of the club if you want. It's all black and white for you to see for yourself.

And after attending the board meeting last night is seems as though it was another very successful year at Back to the 50's.

And what does all of this have to do with the thread topic?
    CAR SHOWS AS I HAVE ENJOYED - NOW GONE

4. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Maybe if the shows were organized like a museum where each period or style was grouped together guys would not have as much of an issue. If you do not like a period or style don't enter that part of the museum. Everybody could get to participate in the show young and old, modern or vintage, modified or not. Play music that fits the vibe of the area. Encourage the attire of that period. Most of all enjoy the love of cars, creativity, and people of all ages.

This might seem to make sense, but it means you may not be able to park with your buds. At Columbus my group had a 32 Ford, a 54 F-100, a 57 T-bird, a 64 Olds 442, and a 65 Riviera.

lurker mick and treitmeier1 like this.
  5. What about the restored, putt-putt, brass-era cars that show up? WTF are they doing at a ROD and CUSTOM event? This fat ass could ride his BICYCLE faster than one of those things can move.

Also, WTH do they allow FOUR DOOR SEDANS and STATION WAGONS in to these shows? Only a loser would have considered one of those a "HOT ROD" or a "KUSTOM". How about a Nash Metropolitan? Nope. Some German's Isetta Whatchamacallit? Nope. Grandma's Studebaker Lark? Nope. Jimbo from BFE's 4x4 truck? Nope.

I'd rather see a nicely done Squarebody GM or Fox-body Mustang than another goddamned RAT ROD.

6. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

7. I went to the heartland nationals, i didnt see many cars, or trucks newer than the early seventies. Might be that the "newer" car guys only heard about the change just before the show. Still, the show was big, hot, & pretty good. Ive heard that the swap is terrible, but,ive not seen that many real magnesium wheels in a swap meet anywhere

8. wvenfield

wvenfield

I like cars later than what is acceptable here. I hate what most people do to them though. Everyone has their own opinions but the 69 Camaro that won whatever award it was at Columbus was IMO hideous.

I'm open to many different cars. Heck, I recently owned a 76 Pacer, I'm simply not a fan of what people do to them in large part. (it happens here to an extent also).

9. I have pondered the swap meet conundrum
    are there fewer parts available, are fewer people selling parts, are fewer parts wanted?
    are things such as Craigslist, FB and E-bay causing this trend?
    are swap meet both prices too high?
    are folks hording parts?
    all of the above?

I will admit that CL and FB is where I find the bulk of my used parts

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

"equivalent" in age only. I bought my 49 Chevrolet in 1976. it was only 27 years old. it was also light years behind late models at the time in every imaginable way. that's not even getting into the cool looks. my 26 year old 1992 GMC is pretty much the same car as a new one with the exception of all the electronics and smog, and it really doesn't even look as good as the new ones. we like these old wrecks because of the way they look not because they are old.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  11. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I here you, Bud. We would attend the GOOD-GUYS event in Arlington, Texas. Then Gary Meadors passed on and Mark, his son, took the reins. He prefers muscle cars and raised the cutoff date to all this more modern crap. We're finished. We drive a red Deuce roadster and expect to see similar rides in attendance. Our salvation is the LSRU in Austin in April. It's the best Texas has to offer, anyway.

buddyamigo likes this.
  12. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Thank You, I agree with you including the LSRU which I really enjoyed, it was a long distance for me but well worth it.

13. Truckintom

Truckintom

Funny,for sure!

14. guys could debate when saw blade style wheels came out

15. Truckintom

Truckintom

Yep! I can hear my Dad now yelling at me to turn that damn music (loud noise from his view) down! Ha! 1968, and now here I am and really do not like most of what the "younger Gen." Listens to, ugitty boogitty mow, Volume 99!Ha!. Cycles of life.and it goes on. I remember when 4 and then 8 Trac's were cool. Now they are sqeezin 400 + H.P. out of 1.nothin 4 cylinders,and it's cooler to slide your car sideways then it is to run the quarter mile in under 10 seconds with an older car and no money to make it go faster.No one can stop Father time,whaa! No time left for you! Just enjoy the ride and have fun! The checkered flag is waiting for all of us at the end of our run, Make the most out of what we have, Have Fun, to do list --------Have Fun

16. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

"You young fellers and your confangled new contraptions! My two wheeled, one horse buggy can still out do your 35 horse powered four wheeled high seated whatchamacallit!"

pat59 and anthony myrick like this.
  17. Muttley

Muttley

If I wanted to park next to one of those I'd go to the mall.

anthony myrick likes this.
  18. I always try to park my ride next to the newest car at the show. Sometimes they move Sometimes they have old stuff they want worked on.

19. johnold1938

johnold1938
    from indiana

fiberglass cars are great they come with there own backup power plant it's called a TROWLING MOTOR

20. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

So my teenage son just walked in the room and wanted to hang out with me and I just waved him to go away so I could finish reading this post! It just dawned on me what I did so see you all! Let me know when you figure out the answer to this great question! Gonna go help him work on his 57 wagon.

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Tim, clunker, LAROKE and 4 others like this.
  21. I go to sell parts in the swap meet, although I also bring some hobby stuff and some other odds and ends. Most of the time I never even see the cars, it just depends how far I have to go to find the can, what I have to walk past.

I'll be at the Syracuse Nats this week and I won't see a tenth of it.

22. Although I would prefer a pre-65 (or pre-49) hotrod show too, this seems like a lot of drama over nothing. If you like a show, go! If you don't like it, don't go (which is what the OP is going to do). If there is a need, the free market will fill it. If there is no longer a demand for something, it will fade away due to lack of support.

What that means to me is if the big shows have a need to include later model cars to remain viable and you can't tolerate that, then vote with your feet. If enough people do that, then someone will realize there is a niche market for old hotrods that needs to be filled. Kind of like what Ryan has done (and very well, I might add). Free will and free markets are wonderful things.

As we get older I know it brings us comfort and validation to hold on to "what was." Man, I get it. On the other hand there are a lot of new things to see. It doesn't mean we need to let go of the old stuff or that it's no longer valid. We're just broadening our horizons. It doesn't have to change who we are. We can still be purists if we want.

Personally, if there is something at a show that is not my cup of tea, I walk on by. It's only a few extra steps and good exercise. Sometimes I stop and look though, out of curiosity. As my wife says, "Let it be easy."

It's going to be okay. And if not, then it's going to be what it is. :) Now if you'll please excuse me, there is a thread on hotrod door panels that I need to check out.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  23. 32owner

32owner

I am a Goodguys Rep and to be honest i was a little upset with the year jump but Columbus was not a whole lot different you really are not forced to look at cars you don't like. there were plenty on hotrods and custom to look at Fri. I walked 5.4 miles and did not have a problem finding cars I am into. I am 68 and have built quite a few billet show cars but now I drive an unpainted old school 32. If we refuse to let the younger enthusiast get involved in our hobby it will fade away just like we are. I was impressed at what quite a few young car enthusiast had on display and talked to quite a few great kids. Come on guys lets give the younger enthousiast a chance they ARE our hobbies next care takers!!! just my 2 cents

24. I`ll know it`s time to shut out the lights when a Tesla shows up and parks beside me lol.

25. LAROKE

LAROKE

I had a Tesla park next to me. The owner asked if I had insurance. I said Yeah, did he? He said Yes, why? I told him it would be pretty simple to match his silver paint but it would take a master to match my chalky red primer.

26. Dennis D

Dennis D

Should have ask him if he had a tetanus shot lately.

31hotrodguy, alchemy and LAROKE like this.
  27. I had a guy with a Tesla take selfie with my ride

Nostrebor and LAROKE like this.
  28. When I am parked somewhere in my 34 Dodge and some young guy pulls in with a Honda Civic that they have put a lot of work into I walk over and ask them about their car and give them a compliment. They usually don't really check out my Hot Rod. I remember when I was a kid with muscle cars the stuff the old timers were driving didn't interest me either. I guess what goes around eventually comes around.

LAROKE, RMR&C and anthony myrick like this.
  29. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Helped my Dad sell some stuff at the Ford V8 restorers club swap meet last weekend in Belleville Michigan. It used to be a 2 day swap meet and car show, now it's down to one day. The car show was small, and there were alot of open swap spaces. It may have been due to the.temperature. One of the organizers called my dad the next day, he was looking for one of the vendors who had something for sale that someone wanted. In their conversation, he said they had 30 prepaid vendors who didn't even show, some had two to three spaces. He said that alot of the vendors are getting up in age so probably was thee heat that kept them away. The Adrian swap meet was another one that fizzled out due to the aging VMCCA members who ran it.

30. I have a Peace Sign for my radiator emblem. You'd be surprised how many old ladies with Mercedes ask me what year my Mercedes is. I tell them it's a Peace Sign and they drive off disappointed. Not the first time I have disappointed a lady! Again the younger crowd just seems to ignore the car. 34dodge.jpeg

LAROKE likes this.