Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 57 Chevy Budget 4 door build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RaginPin3Appl3, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Spare tires/wheels from 2wd S10 pickups work. Not as plentiful nowadays. Keep at it there, young man!

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Those work well on disc brake swap on the front with single piston calipers like these.
    [​IMG]

3. Slopok

Slopok

Aren't those 15 inch? I think he wants to use the original 14s.

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

14" and 15". I still have 1 of 4 14" (82-94) that I use as a spare.

5. There should be places like the mom & pops that sell used tires. I buy used tires for my beaters from a place that all they do is sell used tires. The last time I did that, I got a nice matching set of barely used four tires mounted and balanced for $120.

6. Some are 15''. All the ones I had were 14'', late '80s

RaginPin3Appl3 likes this.
  7. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I’ll see if i can track down an s10 either in a local junkyard or being parted out. I assumed the bolt pattern would be different. I really only need one rim and one tire for right now but was considering just getting a new set of cheapy white walls and just keeping them

chryslerfan55 and chevy57dude like this.
  8. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

57' wheels are one year only I believe and tend to be a little more. They look good if you are picky but if not the 59 and later wheel work just fine. Plus some of the later station wagon 14s are 6 inch wide if you can find them. However; the 409 guys tend to like those. Just a suggestion, 55 wheels are 15's and will take the poverty caps.

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and Doctorterry like this.
  9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Same bolt pattern. It's also info to put under your belt.

10. Chevy Rally wheels on 2wd S10s were littering the streets here in the 90s. Once all the Camaros rusted out, the mullet crowd went mini truckin'. They'll fit.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  11. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

It’s hard to find used 14s around here apparently. All the shops close to me said they hardly ever see a 14 worth putting on a rim again.

12. RMONTY

RMONTY

If you have a tire with a big hole in it and you just want something to move the car around with, spend 20 bucks at O'Reilly's and buy a tube. If need be you can make a "boot" to keep the tube from coming out the hole out of most anything flexible. Local tire shop might put it in for a couple of bucks.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Very very true. It's a sign of the times. Parts stores send me home pissed off any more. I went just last week for some constant tension hose clamps for a motorcycle I'm bringing back to life. Out of 5 stores 2 being NAPA and Carquest. Both told me it's a fuel injection era get use to it. Final stop Pep Boy's. They had them. 10+ dollars for a box of all different sizes was the only option. Zip ties it will be then.

Doctorterry likes this.
  14. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

It's very hard to build a car nowadays without buying half the parts off the internet. I guess if i don;t find a couple used tires in the next few days i'll have to just pay for new ones. I move out and leave for school in 2 and a half weeks, so times ticking.

15. daliant

daliant

If their old tires are kept outside you can rummage through them after hours, or better yet you can ask to rummage through the tire pile. Shops have to pay to have used tires hauled away and disposed of so they usually don't mind if you snag a few, but good luck finding anything the right size.

16. ^Don't ever do do anything that could be construed as stealing. ^
    Mechanic types are grouchy enough.

17. Slopok

Slopok

15's would make life easier and probably cheaper in the long run!

18. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D One place that I used to find some excellent tires was a new car dealership.People would buy a new car,and not like the way the OE tires rode.Would get a new set at the dealer,and the dealer would sell the tires as a set.I got a set of 5 for $150.00 installed.They only had about 50 miles on them.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

19. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I think i’m just gonna get some walmart white walls and call it good. I’ll end up buying them later anyway, this way i’ll only have to worry about tires once. They’ve got some 215/70r14s i can get a set of for $200, and i’ve got a $50 card for there so it would cost me 150 for new tires, and i know a guy here in town who could install them for pretty cheap.

20. They'll be short, but new.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  21. Budget36

Budget36

Any Pick and Pull places near you?

They'll sell tires off the rim, fairly cheap. Bought a set of real nice ones for my daily last year for 20/each..I mounted them, and took them in for balancing though.

22. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

I called oreillys once and asked for a fuel pump for a small block ford, 302, and told me it'd be $280 I said thanks and hung up.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Problem with that is i have no way of getting the tire off the rim, and there usually aren’t any tires worth buying because the used tire shops come and buy all of them every morning as soon as it opens. I’m just going to buy cheap walmart tires

24. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

.............tire od dia.....tire width........rim size...
    195/75R14 -25.5"...7.7".................14 x 5-6.5"
    215/70R14 -25.9"...8.5".................14 x 5.5-7"
    205/75R14 26.1".....8.1"................14 x 5-7"
    225/70R14 26.4".....8.9"................14 x 6-7.5"
    215/75R14 26.7".....8.5"................14 x 5.5-7"

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  25. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

went ahead and ordered 2 tires. that way i can get rid of the cracked rim, and fix the tire that's flat. the other 2 are old buy still hold air. I'll just get some meats for the back once i'm ready to put the car on the road. As soon as they get here i'm going to get the car outside and get that fuel line out! I'll keep you guys posted as stuff happens!

hendelec, chevy57dude and triman62 like this.
  26. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Asking is free. A friend owns a tyre shop. He keeps a rack of good condition take offs for people. A couple of bucks to mount and balance and they’re back on the road. He doesn’t advertise this, but he’ll help out somebody that’s in need of a cheap fix.

I’ve donated a few tyres to that rack myself. No sense in disposing them if they’re still useful.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Well i got the tires installed and balanced, took them to a real old school shop in the country, they still do full service gas, car rolls up and dings a bell and a guy runs out there, that’s very rare in illinois. The tires i ordered ended up being the same size as the ones already on it so it doesn’t sit funny or anything and i can get an idea of what tire size would look best once i get the other 2. The temps are in the mid 90s but I’ll try to get something done with the fuel line one of these mornings or evenings

28. RMONTY

RMONTY

I used to be "that guy" that ran out when the bell rang. I would bet there are quite a few on here that were "that guy".

29. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I was "that kid" you guys hated.