Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects HOT ROD DOOR PANELS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We've seen the hot rod dash and I'm followed suit. Now it is just about upholstery time and while I have a couple of ideas in mind I would like to see some pictures of your door panels.
    Map pockets?
    Door pulls?
    Carpet on the bottom?
    Check straps?
    Here is couple I have saved from previous threads and on line searches.
    upload_2018-7-17_11-23-12.png
    This is a bit more industrial than I desire but I like the little map pocket/stash bag on the bottom. BTW, me seat will emulate this design, slightly different leather tones.
    upload_2018-7-17_11-24-47.png
    This one is so clean and simple, I love it but mine may need a bit more going on?
    upload_2018-7-17_11-25-52.png
    Too modern? I like the carpet on the bottom because I wont kick the leather every time I stumble out of the suicide doors. Cool pocket, cant see if it has door straps or a pull. My doors are painted on top (roadster) so I will have some body color inside the car. Leather is both dark and tan distressed (2 tone) , brown square weave carpet.

Any assistance is appreciated.

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I don't think I have much to contribute, this is my finished door panel.

[​IMG]

3. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For me, the clean and simple always wins, but your car's theme would demand a "bit of bling". As said more than once on here, your car, your choice. We all know you'll do it justice!

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah, the minimalist movement. Like drinking whiskey neat vs a fancy cocktail, I get it Douglas. In those terms, I'm not looking for a Moscow mule or a Washington apple here, just a good bourbon in a Waterford crystal glass served on a leather coaster by a red haired lass with a tattoo of a flathead ford on her calf. Put that into a door panel design and I'll order a double..

Shutter Speed and wackdaddy like this.

5. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

6. IMO, where guys go wrong is 'sculpting' or excessively 'detailing' the interior. The last pic above is an example of that IMO, although not the worst one I've seen. Same goes for the first pic, although it's closer in some respects but worse in others. This became popular during the 'street rod' days and has started leaking into supposedly 'trad' cars. This was only seen in show cars 'back in the day', and very rarely at that.

I get why guys do it; if you have a monochrome interior (which seem to be the rage these days), it adds 'interest'. But it also looks like they took the interior out of a late-model and transplanted into their car. Back in the day, if you wanted something a bit more flashy, chrome trim, contrasting colors or accent panels, maybe mixed stitching were the paths taken. Some time spent looking at interiors from 'back in the day' will quickly show the differences....

Again, this is my opinion.

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just go late model on the door pulls...'33-4 Ford

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Well considering I'm a bit of a hermit (wifes description) I'm not up on the current lingo, barspeakwise, but I did order a Makers the other day and the little likker lass:eek: asked if I wanted it neat and I told her she could spill it all over the place as long as I didn't have to pay for the spillage.
    Where was I, oh yeh, door panels, nevermind, no time for that, I gotta go to the likker dispenser as I'm out and parched with this frick'n hot weather.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  9. D4996368-D963-4CA2-9062-E1997B4E6C51.jpeg I was running with no panels for too long. I made some with Masonite and snap fasteners, then took them to the upholstery shop where I had the seats made. I feel downright civilized now.

Not exactly a hot rod, but still...

10. Mine is about as simple as you can get.

z4.JPG

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm following this.
    That bit of carpet at the bottom of the door might look busy to some folks but having a daily that always has scuff marks in that area from shoes hitting it I can see the value. Remembering back the "custom" door panels in my 51 Merc had carpet there when I bought it in 1963.
    I might save that second photo from the top for if and when I get my Model A Victoria to that point. The truck will get a bit more of a custom look on it.

"

Bandit Billy likes this.
  13. Rich B.

Rich B.
    Member Emeritus
    from Portage,IN

14. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Simple but timeless. I love a white interior. The brown of the first pic has a nice "lived in" look to it. Some people buy older leather sofas with a tear here or there for a song. If there's enough leather left to do your (smaller) interior, it could be a good option.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. Billy Bamdit
    sent ya a PM

18. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

19. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^Sweet door panels! I take it you shut them with the door handle? Simply beautiful! (and great fodder for my design, exactly what I was looking for).

Are those seat heater switches I see in the seat riser? I did the same but added a power port there as well so no one could see it without snooping.

21. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

11164838_10153275093409839_8921665573401475762_n.jpg
    They are - I added a lighter for charger/GPS.

kidcampbell71 and Bandit Billy like this.
  22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I made am aluminum switch panel for the front of my seat, down low in the center, that houses the seat heater switches and the power port. You have to know where to look to find them. When I have the seat upholstered I plan to add a small pocket in the leather to put my cell or ipod when driving so they aren't just lying about.

23. I made these for my A, simple black stitching with 1/4" sew foam and a little bit of Stainless made a big difference. I will never do another map pocket, what a PITA that was, and it still didn't turn out that nice.

IMG_2152.JPG

24. upspirate

upspirate

My old '32 truck....not quite what I would have done if I had it done ,but close.
    Had been done when the truck was built a long time ago I believe.
    I liked the chrome IMG_0914.JPG door pulls on the top of the doors

25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am having mixed feelings on the map pocket. From the pictures thus far I am thinking I am shying away from the elastic pocket and if anything I like the flapped pocket. I can see that you can easily go overboard trying to do too much is such a small space. This thread is helping me a lot, thanks everyone!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  26. atch

atch

I like the one in alfin32's post #20, but obviously that doesn't fit the style of your roadster. I tend to agree that no map pocket in your car is the right answer.

[​IMG]

For door pulls I believe that the ones Bruce Lancaster showed in post #8 fit your build nicely.

[​IMG]

mgtstumpy and Bandit Billy like this.
  27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Map pockets went obsolete with the advent of Google Maps, Smartphones and GPS.

brigrat and Bandit Billy like this.
  28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like those handles and I tried ordering them from MACS a week ago when Burt posted them. They billed my card and then sent me a notice they were on back order till 2049 or some such date. I went back to the drawing board and found a set on line that I ordered through Amazon, should be here today. A little different design but so is my car. If they show up I'll post you a pic of them.