Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 57 Chevy Budget 4 door build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RaginPin3Appl3, Aug 5, 2017.

1. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

the car was born in st louis and i don't think it ever left Missouri. it definitely has rust (dog legs and lower fenders) but the floors, rockers and quarters are rust free. The whole bottom of the car is covered in asphalt. it's a pain in the ass to try to get to bolts covered in it but it sure helped keep the car from rusting!

chryslerfan55 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  2. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I'll see what i can find in 15 inch then. i still intend to do a rubber rake, so finding tall tires for the back is going to be important. i'll start looking around once i get a couple more paychecks.

Ended up buying a new daily a while back but it turned out to be junk so now i'm trying to sell it and i fixed my old daily, but i owe money to my mom for the second daily driver still so until it's sold i'm not going to be able to do much with this car besides what i can do for free

chryslerfan55 and chevy57dude like this.
  3. RMONTY

RMONTY

Oh the free stuff! All the mundane and pain in the ass and not so fun stuff that has to be done. Speaking from experience on many other types of projects I've done over the years, bite the bullet and get those dirty mundane jobs done now, so that when you have the money for good stuff you won't just skip over the boring stuff and never get them done. It ALL needs to be done so.....GO PINEAPPLE GO!!! PS. Quit bitching about the heat. You haven't lived enough years to earn that privilege. That's reserved for us grey beards! :rolleyes::p;)

4. Of course, it got hotter when we were young.

RaginPin3Appl3 likes this.
  5. I remember it got so hot the M&M's melted in your pocket! Seriously though, work in the evening or night for a few hours after work when the heat is not so bad. They are right, there is enough "free cleaning of stuff" that will need done eventually.

6. RMONTY

RMONTY

Maybe some of your buddies have a couple of those pop up awnings to put up over the car. And surely there are some box fans around you could use to circulate some air. If this was an easy hobby only little girls would be doing it, right?

7. RMONTY

RMONTY

Additionally I thought you were going with a new prebent fuel line? If the old line is crusty don't waste your youth by doing something like trying to clean it. For less than $50 you can easily replace it with nicopp when you have some extra cheddar and never have to worry about it again. Get a stiff brush and steal some detergent from the laundry room, get the water hose out and go to town cleaning! That'll cool ya off!

chryslerfan55 and flatford39 like this.
  8. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

+1 on the box fan!
    Last summer I was helping a buddy put a clutch in his car. It was so hot and humid my glasses would fog up and then slide off my nose from the sweat.
    I turned on my old box fan for a slight breeze and that made all the difference in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I’ll bring up the box fan from the basement! And yes i did install a new prebent line but i guess it’s blocked or kinked somewhere since the new fuel pump works great coming from a jerry can but won’t pull from the tank

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. Try blowing air back from the fuel pump to the tank. If you hear bubbles it could be air locked, remove the line to the carb and crank the engine till it blows gas. If you hear no bubbles but can blow air you need more gas in the tank.

11. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

I like the stock looking steel wheels better than smoothies personally. I'm gonna put OEM chrome steel wheels on my biscayne some day

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Stock wheels for 57 were smoothies. No gaps between the welds.

13. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

Well I didn't know that.. guess you learn something every day!

IMG_2547.JPG

I love steel wheels and poverty caps!

14. See that Pineapple. You have been here a little over two years now. Came here knowing absolutely nothing about your dreams and now you are teaching.;) I didn't know that either. That is the way this hobby has been since I've been on the earth, brother helping brother. You are demonstrating that you have learned, and are willing to pass along what you know and learn more.:cool: Keep going along there on that path and you will be an old grey beard like some of us here too one day.

15. Any update on your project? I was hoping this summer you would get it running and driving.

16. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Well i’ve got a little spending money again, so sometime this next week i’m gonna go to the local tri five chevy yard and get a couple things (in particular a rim) and then get some tires on it. Or if you guys think the rim i found in the trunk would be safe, i’ll just use it. Noticed one of the wheel studs on the rear is spinning freely in the hub so i’ll have to fix that before it actually gets going. I have about 2 and a half weeks to get it out of the space it’s currently in (mom’s orders) so i think i can do that with some tires, fixing the shift linkage, and getting it to suck gas from the tank, or at the very least a jerry can somewhere so it’ll make it around the block. I’m gonna have a buddy drive in front of me to the other side of the house where it’s getting parked until it has brakes in case of emergency, i’d rather run into my pickup truck’s bumper with tires on it than another car.

17. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

18. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

The rim i added pics of seems to be the same backspacing as the 4 on the car. Not sure if it’s the same width but it seems to not be rusty at all, i’m just concerned about the strength of it thinking it might be an old “spare” rim, not even sure if spare rims were different than regular ones back then as they are now. This rim was actually on the car when i bought it and one of the rims currently on it was in the trunk. May have even been the cracked one i don’t remember.

19. The wheel will be fine

20. Terrible80

Terrible80

Yes, wheel is fine. Back in the day a spare was to be put on and used until you fixed/bought another tire. Then the new tire could be the spare or any other for that matter. Also in tire rotation, it was a 5 tire deal.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Good to hear, that’ll save me about $75 then, cheapest i could find a 57 wheel locally. Won’t have a spare for now but i still have a while before i do any real driving so thats okay

22. july stuff 001.JPG
    Heck I would fix the tire to hold air and use it if it has tread. I have better luck with old bias ply than with newer radials. I found a old 8 ply in my stuff. So I mounted it on a split rim with a new tube. Now its on the rear of my 66 GMC been in service a couple weeks & doing just fine.

23. Slopok

Slopok

$75.00 for a 14 inch rim is ridiculous:eek:, don't ask for a 57 Chevy rim and then see how much it is!

24. I bet there are many other years and other GM wheels that are the same.

25. I tend to agree with this. So it may not be a smoothie like original but at this point get one that you can afford. Get the car moved so Mom will be happy, happy Mom happy life'

26. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I’m going to use the rim i already have. Won’t match but i don’t care. The tire on it has a huge hole so it will definitely need a new one

27. Terrible80

Terrible80

I usually go to a smaller tire shop and buy some take offs when I just need something to move a car around to work on. People change all 4 and most of the time one or two of them aren't that bad.

chryslerfan55 and Doctorterry like this.
  28. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

Where do you live? I know a guy in Oklahoma who literally has build "walls" around his property out of piles of steel wheels. There's thousands of them..

29. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I can do that? There are 2 mom and pop tire shops around here, I assumed i wouldn't be able to buy old tires from them.

chryslerfan55 and warhorseracing like this.
  30. Terrible80

Terrible80

Down here in Texas, no problem. I think up there it would be okay also, unless the powers that be want to protect us from ourselves.

hendelec, chryslerfan55 and Clay Belt like this.