Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods XO/PP Bonneville project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john mullen, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A vision becoming reality...certainly not your average 6 banger pickup...edging closer to the Line in the Salt...or would that be the Salt Assault...

Looking forward to sharing that day XO/PP 640 Bonneville Project Team...

Go Team Go...

2. My friend Brett came all the way from Greenville N.C. to do the stripes on the Virginia H.A.M.B. Special. Brett has Been a supporter. From its beginning. Thank you Brett, you are appreciated greatly 0707180958.jpg

3. alwaysamopar

alwaysamopar

After all this reading and looking at pictures. .I can't wait to see it in person. I'll be on the lookout for it on the salt .

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Pretty fancy

kidcampbell71, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  5. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

show quality

But I think it could use a horizontal stripe to separate the red from the white.

6. Just add-ons some of the sponsors decals today. I'm really liking the race truck look 0711181422c.jpg 0711181422a.jpg

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fantastic Graphics and striping work @brett4christ. Great job by ALL the Hambers involved in pulling this Hotrod together...It really has got the mean business look going Bigtime...Rock On.

8. One month til Speedweek!

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  9. fatkoop

fatkoop

I hope you're still smiling like that after spending a few days with the Colorado boys!

loudbang likes this.
  10. 0712181351.jpg Fresh air cowel induction almost finished. Just some gaskets and polish.

11. loudbang

loudbang

Looks Great.

Don't forget to clean the underside of the hood LOL :)

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  12. Thanks, @Stogy, but I have to add a disclaimer...The "Jimmy's" logo, GoodYear lettering and John Mullen Racing logos were applied when I got there, as was the Blue in the numbers and GY diamond.

13. Finished the cowel induction today and cleaned somewhat under the hood lol 0713181630b.jpg 0713181338.jpg 0713181339a.jpg

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

How flat is the bottom of that pan?
    Is there any reason for the top to be so short?
    I would have a nice 1/2 inch radius blend from the bottom pan to the air horn of the carburetors.

loudbang likes this.
  15. The box touches the hood as it is. no room to raise it up with a radius. The HP carbs have a flush top and there is a large K&N oval air filter in the box should work fine.

Stogy, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. Thank you Doug Dwyer, we could not make Bonneville this year without your generosity. We proudly fly your Company's logo on the Virginia H.A.M.B. Special.
    Thank You. 0714181254.jpg

17. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Is cowl induction legal in production class???

loudbang, Stogy and gas pumper like this.
  18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Production in SCTA competition is not what it is is many other racing organizations. I'm sure John has studied all the sections pertaining to his truck many many times.
    Since there is nothing seen and the truck appears stock from the outside there will probably not be a mention of it. Working impounds for over 20 years in the past it would not mean anything to me except saying what nice craftsmen ship. John can inquire when he is there but I would not of a safety inspector since they may or may not know a question of an item in a specific class. There are committee chairs persons list in the rear of the rule book and most are on the salt.

19. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The cars pictured in Production in the rule book have altered hoods for air induction. It's SCTA Production.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  20. gas pumper

gas pumper

I got brain fade here, What years were those trucks made?

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  21. '61, '62 and a few in '63

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  22. Welp, my name's on the door, so it's official – I'll be piloting the 640 XO/PP Virginia HAMB Special next month at Speed Week! The current record is 131.5 mph and we hope to better that by a couple of clicks and set a new record in a class made up of old trucks powered by inline six cylinders and other obscure, antiquated engines. Big props to John Mullen and team for building such a fine machine and for all the folks that have helped us out along the way. Also, thank you sooooo much John for giving me this amazing opportunity to drive – I'll try not to let you down. :)

official_small.png

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  23. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

24. To paraphrase an old line, you can’t drive 55!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, Stogy and D-Russ like this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go @D-Russ Go...so you have some racing under your belt as you have been 1/4 miling Miss Vicky so my question is the how fast you have been? Just curious. This will be an unforgettable experience...and quite breathtaking.

If this form of discussion is taboo...no problemo just Have One Heck of a lot of fun...;)

26. Thanks typo41, I got the camera link saved to my favorites.

27. I've driven faster on public roads than I have at the drags – Miss Vicky can only muster about 100 in the quarter. But in my reckless youth I hit the 115 - 120 mark a few times. And I say 120 because that was the highest number on the speedo. :eek:

That said, I have a lot of things to pay attention to while driving – primarily wheel spin and the back end getting loose.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  28. Latest photos .. Thanks Brett4 Christ
    for the colors on the hood emblem.
    And some other shots 0716181649.jpg 0716181651.jpg 0716181650.jpg 0716181650a.jpg

29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's all good and you have many to assist in what to expect coupled with your experience. So are you guys going to break this in at a track for feel prior to the event or is that done at the salt? Again just getting an understanding and I take it there's at least 150 on the speedometer you'll be looking at...;)

chryslerfan55, loudbang and D-Russ like this.