Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Almost Funny - AWB Barracuda Funny Car Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Dana 60 much too beastly for my small-block purposes. I'm swapping the 273 2 barrel for an enhanced 360 from a 72 Tradesman B200 van ( was used to tow a racer to Bonneville Speedweek way back in 2007 and earlier.) It's a 4-speed and I've destroyed a couple 7.25s.
    The 8.25 is for a 65 Dodge GT convertible with solid lifter 273 4 barrel. I keep feeding it 7.25s, and it's happy to chew them up and spit them out.

I apologize for using your thread for my own selfish needs.. I would have sent you a private message but I didn't see a way to do it.

Paul Gianakos

2. squirrel

squirrel

no problem, but for future reference, it's called "start a conversation". Put the mouse pointer over my avatar (picture of me) on one of my posts, you'll see where to click.

3. kursplat

kursplat

but then the rest of us would have missed the A-body discussion and i'm always up for that ;)
    decide what your going to do with the exhaust yet?

4. squirrel

squirrel

I have a pretty good idea how the exhaust will work, but haven't built it all yet.

Been working on finishing up little things on the frame, and welded up the cage. Now doing bodywork, including working on the body mounts in back, and figuring out how the floor will work, etc. Mondo bondo.

We finally got to test the slicks in the trunk thing...they fit in the trunk opening while inflated, and with the floor in place. And both will fit into the back of the trunk, next to each other. Like it was designed that way.

body10.jpg body09.jpg body08.jpg body07.jpg

5. brad2v

brad2v

sorry to drift of topic here, however, Paul, check here; https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/widget-pages/home/

6. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Since you are doing body work and although you say you may not be as worried about appearance, Any hints on color yet?:)

loudbang likes this.
  7. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I feel your pain brother...I absolutely hate bodywork! Necessary evil I suppose. But car is awesome!

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Doctorterry like this.
  8. Must be a special combination to get the Tires in and Out. I like it when a plan comes together. Very impressive! Pays to do your Home Work and have just a bit of luck.
    The Wizzard

Dino 64, loudbang and Just Gary like this.
  9. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Can’t way to see pics of this predator fish in Hot Rod out in the world between drag week tracks.
    Jaws are gonna drop!
    Super Fan, Wyatt.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Love the way those slicks fit in the trunk :)

loudbang likes this.
  11. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Is there a significant reason for fitting the slicks in the trunk? Sorry if I missed that part of the conversation if I missed it.

loudbang and Doctorterry like this.
  12. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

it is so he can carry them while traveling between tracks during drag week.....

13. squirrel

squirrel

yup, I don't want to tow a trailer, and I don't want to drive a thousand miles on slicks...

14. squirrel

squirrel

Bodywork is progressing, not long after taking this pic I decided I'm done with fixing dents in the body shell, time to clean up the edges, and get some primer on it. I'm going to make a little dolly for the body, so I can roll it around more easily, and also so I can get to all the surfaces that need paint. I'm going to prime the inside, too. Lots of bare steel in there.

body11.jpg

15. I see the gas filler hole is still there. What's the plan for a fuel tank?

loudbang likes this.
  16. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Great work. Love following along with your thought process.
    SPark

loudbang likes this.
  17. squirrel

squirrel

thanks!

The fuel tank should arrive in the mail any day now...it will go up front. The filler hole will likely get a gas cap, screwed in place. or something more humorous, we'll see.

Stogy, enloe, porkshop and 2 others like this.
  18. squirrel

squirrel

I got the body dolly built, it's ready to shoot some primer...but now the weather is kind of soggy. I want to paint it outside so I don't mess up the shop too much, and also to get a proper 60s race car paint job. I'll get some other stuff done while I'm waiting. there seems to be plenty to do.

body12.jpg

19. kursplat

kursplat

nice dolly, probably weighs more than the body at this point.
    you think the humidity will go down much before october? ;)

loudbang likes this.
  20. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Hard to say what the weather's going to do these days, as it's been kind of crazy. But I think it's safe to say that there's a lot better chance of low humidity in AZ than in La. or Ga. Lol:D

21. squirrel

squirrel

This is rainy season, it gets humid in July and August. This is a strange storm, it's raining gently in the morning..normally we have afternoon thundershowers.

22. kursplat

kursplat

i just wish it would stay over there. i don't mind working in my non-A/C'd garage when it's getting close to 100', but when that AZ humidity comes for a visit, it ain't happnin'

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

kursplat, I had just glanced at your avatar and misread I.a. as La. and thought you were in Lousiana and was genuinely puzzed about your commenting on the humidity being high in AZ:confused:
    Is I.a. Iowa or where??????????

24. greybeard360

greybeard360

I am betting L A... Los Angeles

loudbang likes this.
  25. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

I'm betting it's 1.a not L.a.

loudbang likes this.
  26. squirrel

squirrel

It dried out this afternoon, then I had to wait for the sun to be near setting so the metal wouldn't get too hot (and for the breeze to die down). Success...here it is after the first coat of primer, a few more followed. I might just block the parts that have filler, and put some more primer on them, then sand and shoot it all white. It's gonna have a few waves and ripples and divots, but hey, it's an old race car.

body13.jpg

27. This is the best thread on the board! Go Squirrel.

Doctorterry, enloe and Runnin shine like this.
  28. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice. Looks like we had similar ambitions this eveving...lol. of course for me my first couple of coats of primer only serve to point out what I missed...lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, enloe and squirrel like this.
  29. squirrel

squirrel

oh, I'll find lots of problems in the morning! I think I'll get out the glazing putty before I get out the sanding block, though.

Deuced Up!, loudbang and enloe like this.
  30. alwaysamopar

alwaysamopar

loudbang and squirrel like this.