Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Joes Classic Car Radios - Anyone use

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Milner62, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Anyone here every used Joes Classic Car Radio Co. before?

I came across his site when browsing I don't know if hes the one I found years ago from Hemmings Collector Almanac I have or not but he does the FM conversion like the other guy did. Anyways I am wondering if anyone used this company before.

I tried local but couldn't find anyone local that could do a rebuild on my old AM radio in my '56. His site makes it sound like hes the one to go with though.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Milner62
    I haven't used that guy, but did use another outfit back in New York, I think.
    I have a 56 Ford. This guy made the radio 4 channel Stereo, AM, FM, IPOD or CD compliant
    and put a hookup for a power antenna. It wasn't cheap at about $400.00, but seems to work fine.
    Car is not on the road yet.
    If you want, I'll get the name next time I'm in my shop?
    Best
    Jim

3. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

It's Classic car radio Doctor
    Classiccarradiodoctor.com

4. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These guys only do new. But to convert/repair an older unit they list dealers who do. Bottom of the page, dealer locator. There’s one in TX, but that’s a big place. Looks like the Dr. above might sell the same product for the little birds.

http://www.antiqueautomobileradio.com/

5. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

There is a HAMB member that does it. He is in Washington state. I can not think of his username but when i do will let you know.... i think he may be in the Hamb classified

6. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Radiobill in the HAMB O dex.

7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Good info to know for the future. Thanks.

8. I've seen Radiobill's work; he does a very nice job....

9. radiobill

radiobill

10. Thanks for the reply I will check the other places out. Not really looking to upgrade the radio just want it to function again. Car sat for 30+ years and is in need of recapping. I already replaced the vibrator with a solid state one since the radio wasn't switching on. it now switches on and the tubes have a soft glow indicating they are all good but even with the volume off all the way I get no sound but after about 2 or 3 seconds the speaker starts to hum with a increasing volume till it peaks.

Did some reading and this is a common problem with old tube radios when the capacitors dry out and are in need of replacement.

This company did email me back it would cost me $375 with return shipping for them to completely overhaul the radio with all new internal wiring and replacement of the on off volume pot switch and repair of the antenna tuner which I might have messed up as I messed with it wrongly thinking this old of a car had a eyelet antenna not a plug in. Might be a costly mistake for me but the shop seems confident they can repair it all.

The only upgrade I am contemplating is the Bluetooth upgrade which is an extra $225. Right now I am tossing around my choices. Redi-Rad for $100 and have a jack that I have to plug into my phone or ipod or what ever media device I want to use. Or spend $225 and have the radio modified externally if no room internally to accept the Bluetooth upgrade and I can connect my phone wirelessly to the radio to play my music without the external jack laying across the floor.

I am at a toss up this radio is original to the car and I hate to have it cut up and modified but I also want to keep everything on the car that it came with. Im tempted to try and buy a used radio and have it rebuilt and upgraded and just swap out but that will be more money.

If there was a Bluetooth adapter out there to plug into the jack and it housed its own battery I would rather go this route and just go back stock on the radio.

But none the less I will check with the other places that have been mentioned. One of them the Antique Automobile Radio company I found them wish someone would release a brand new modern radio with the reproduced face like the original. They do it for the late 40`s early 50`s Fords but nothing after '53.

11. That's really not a bad price for what you got. Just a stock restoration from this place for my '56 would be $375 with $30 of it being return shipping. To add just Bluetooth would be $225 more which would bring me up to $600 just for a restored '56 Ford AM radio with Bluetooth capability. Im seriously leaning more towards just having the radio restored and buy the $100 Redi-Rad and just hide the jack wire under the carpet and plug in and leave my mobile device under the seat. Which doesn't help me cause most of my old radio recordings are on my phone lol. I got one that once I get the car restored I want to play its a old recording from late '57 early '58 from a local radio station.

Also got a bunch of old original recordings of the Wolfman Jack night show from the early '60s as well.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My '56 Ford convert was the candidate for some radio retro in '59. I had played blues harp for a couple of years, and had a cool 'harmonica holder' and slide-on mini microphone that fit the Hohner 10-hole just right.
    My pal Jim's Dad was a radio/TV technician, and he wired in 2 guitar jacks to the bottom rail of my dash. A small 'booster' was installed next to the radio, and a large rear speaker in the convertible top well.
    My pal Steve played guitar, and we could both plug in: the radio stopped, and we were 'amped up'. My mic had a small volume button, and the sounds were clear and LOUD.
    Top down, harp supported, both hands on steering wheel, Steve next to me with his Fender guitar, we were doin' Lightnin' Hopkins, Sonny Knight, Lord Luthor, and Ike Turner blues stuff...slowly down First St., there were chicks running alongside...
    they thought we were 'stars'... LOL
    Everybody loved the blues then...

oldsjoe likes this.
  13. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Still loving the BLUES Mike sounds like FUN to e! Joe