Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Split Exhaust on a Pontiac Flathead 8 (to get V8 Sound)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leroycash, Jul 13, 2018.

1. leroycash

leroycash
    from houston

A few years ago I read a post claiming you could get a V8 "sound" out of an Inline 8 engine if you split and ganged the eight exhaust ports in a certain way based upon your crank configuration. It had something to do with a 4-4 vs. 2-4-2 crank configuration like on a Packard 8. I have a 52 Pontiac 8 with the standard High Compression head and 2 bbl intake. I'm not sure what to look for with this Pontiac crank configuration as it relates to sound. That's my first question. My second question would be which cylinders should I gang to get that V8 sound? I'm under no delusion I will get much performance out of splitting the exhaust. I just want better sound when I cruise.

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I would guess you need to put every other cylinder, as they fire, in separate headers. All the even firing in one. The odd in the other. May be hard to do without 8 exhaust ports. And V8s are not usually done that way anyway.

leroycash likes this.
  3. BBFHY

BBFHY
    from Texas

V8 dual exhaust sound is syncopation. Below L is left bank, R is right bank.

Chevy V8, using firing order -
    LRRLRLLR

Flathead V8 -
    RLRLLRLR

Send exhaust to each side of car like that, should get a V8 sound.

Edit: Looked up Pontiac firing order. 16258374. Plumb odd numbers to one exhaust, even numbers to the other. Should get V8 sound. Assuming you have eight exhaust ports. May not be possible without.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Hnstray and leroycash like this.
  4. belair

belair

Maybe it will sound like two four cylinder engines.

Bandit Billy, Hnstray and leroycash like this.

5. I'd have to do the math but there's more to it than just one cylinder routed here, one there. It also has to do with the firing intervals which depend on the angle of the V. Simple example, you can't make a parallel twin sound like a V-twin without changing the crank to mimic the V-twin's firing intervals. Maybe the straight 8 already mimics the V8's firing intervals? I dunno...

That said, "make it sound like" is subjective. What sounds exactly alike to you may sound glaringly different to me. Splitting the exhaust may be worth it, I don't know, but from a theoretical standpoint you may not be able to get there from here.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    leroycash likes this.
  6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ford flats had their own sound as the y-blocks and paired cylinder Olds. I'll bet it will sound good anyway you do it. Just remember it will never get the "twice pipes" sound of an inline six..

Hnstray and leroycash like this.
  7. samurai mike

samurai mike

why the hell would you want a straight eight to sound like a v eight?

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I'm with samurai mike. If you want the sound split the manifold and run 2 pipes all the way to the back of the car with your favorite mufflers.

firstinsteele and leroycash like this.
  9. leroycash

leroycash
    from houston

Good point. Yes, there are definitely eight exhaust ports on the block. I'm wondering if the sequence is a straight alternating pipe-one then pipe-two or if there's something different in the sequence.

10. leroycash

leroycash
    from houston

Thanks for the response, and wow, that's pretty interesting. Both V8 engines alternate the pattern on each bank in a similar way. I'm going to have to sketch this pattern out with the inline 8 firing order. You've got me thinking.

11. leroycash

leroycash
    from houston

Ha! That would be disappointing, to say the least.

12. leroycash

leroycash
    from houston

Good point. By interval do you mean sequence? It seems like the sequence alternating between two manifolds on the inline 8 could be combined similar to the left/right manifolds on a V8. It may look odd.

13. leroycash

leroycash
    from houston

I don't know the twice pipes sound. What's that?

14. XXL__

XXL__

Embrace the engine you have... or if you can't, swap it out.

leroycash likes this.
  15. leroycash

leroycash
    from houston

Fair question. Right now its just a what if question. It may not make a better sound.

16. leroycash

leroycash
    from houston

Yes, agreed. I think that's the plan. My only question is which exhaust ports go to which pipe? I may not have that many options given the tight real estate on that side of the engine. But as a hypothetical...

17. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

V8 or straight eight they both fire every 90 degrees

Hnstray, leroycash and XXL__ like this.
  18. leroycash

leroycash
    from houston

True that.

19. leroycash

leroycash
    from houston

Yes.

20. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Split it 5 & 3. The sound is unlike anything else you'll hear - one pipe chases the other as the hydro shifts. Routing the dual side headpipe around the heater is the hardest part.

leroycash and firstinsteele like this.
  21. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Just run eight pipes all the way back.

VANDENPLAS, Deuces and leroycash like this.
  22. leroycash

leroycash
    from houston

I never thought of this. Any idea which cylinders you would put on the 5 and which ones on the 3? One thing's for sure, you can't do that with a V8! There's gotta be a quick way to mock this up.

23. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

5 in the stock flange, 3 up front. Last one I did, I cut the manifold into 2 parts & plugged the cuts, then used a Gotha weld-in flange in the side to better clear things going down.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  24. I did this [ 5&3] with a straight eight Buick in the '50s. Awesome sound. My brother still talks about it.

Ben

25. Bart R Orlans

Bart R Orlans

I know I'm late to the party here, but this is a photo of the port side of my former Pontiac straight 8.
    [​IMG]

Hnstray likes this.