Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1956/57 Lincoln Continental Mark II

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Wolfman1

Wolfman1

The car is in the registry Barry, I believe my Dad posted on the Mkii forums
    I think it was you that answered some questions he had on the other forum
    It does still have the 368
    We removed all the work the previous owner did on the convertible top and have now started to fit a 57 Ford tub to the car
    Also thanks for the help you have given to him

2. barry2952

barry2952

You know, the original Derham-made Mark II convertible blueprints exist, and I just happen to know the director of the car museum that has them. A properly done clone is worth far more than what you started with. There were two convertibles built by Alan Taylor in the '90s, I believe, a black one and a green one. Both of those have sold at 6 figures at one point or another. I could probably put you in touch with the owner of the Derham convertible, too.

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Man... every few years I go back and look at this post... I love 56/57 continentals...

4. barry2952

barry2952

Gordon Buehrig had nothing to do with the design. It was etched in stone before he was hired as body engineer. His task was to make the design buildable. He is responsible for the smallest Mark II folder 1_0133.JPG A-pillar on a contemporary car.

63fdsnr likes this.
  5. barry2952

barry2952

Mark II folder 1_0172.JPG
    While about half were ordered cars, they weren't pre-sold at all. In fact, many orders were cancelled due to slow delivery. They struggled to meet the goal of 2500 the first year, but really stumbled with only 444 made for 1957. The program had been cancelled in May of 1956 and Edsel took over the headquarters for the Continental Division in November of 1956, but they kept the assembly portion of the building running until the last of the ordered bodies were built. That's now Ford's Pilot Plant. The cars were heavily discounted by the end.

It's told that the Continental Division lived on to make the Continental Mark III, but that was just a thinly disguised Lincoln trim level. There was no Continental Division after that.

This is one of the mules made by Hess & Eisenhardt. It's '53 Lincoln sheet metal formed to fit the innovative Continental "cowbelly" frame.

6. martyk98

martyk98
    from washington

I'm with you, Ryan. Mine has been long gone but I still have good feelings about my build. Currently owned by the LeMay family.

Attached Files:

63fdsnr and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. 'Mo

'Mo

From Rick Dore.
    Check out the T-Bird style tonneau cover.

[​IMG]

Another by Rick Dore...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Stogy, mgtstumpy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. 'Mo

'Mo

George Barris own personal '56.

At last report, George's son Brett had bought the car back (off E-Bay!), and plans to restore it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Stogy likes this.
  9. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Not Lincolns, Continental was it's own separate division. It's like saying, "Ford Mercury", or "Lincoln Ford". Not to nitpick...;-)

Stogy likes this.
  10. 'Mo

'Mo

11. philo426

philo426

Plum crazy wuth Packard tail lights and Frenched headlights!So cool!

'Mo likes this.
  12. 'Mo

'Mo

13. F-350Loui

F-350Loui

image.jpeg image.jpeg Took a beautiful car and destroyed it and he won the Winfield award. Only because he was invited surely not for its looks. He also took the continental off the trunk

14. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

A lot of the customized examples remind me of what happened to custom cars in the 60s. More points for more changes, whether they look good and fit in the overall design or not. Bumpers that can't bump with headlights and taillights overhanging them, etc. It's a shame what some of the "pros" did to screw up this beautiful, classic design. I musta missed it, but there had to be a few with angel hair.

15. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

I seen it on tv yesterday , I liked it. Mine is a white 57 ,that will probably stay stock

16. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

17. pgj

pgj
    from aurora co.

18. When I was a kid my family Doctor had one, along with some other nice cars.

19. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE

[​IMG]

Hi! please do you have any information about the color? I’m looking exactly for this color! can you help me? Is it an Lincoln original color? Where can I find the color catalogue 56/57 with reference color?
    Thank you very much!;)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  20. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

I'm hoing to get savaged for posting this, but my opinion is the Mark ll was one of the most simple, tasteful, and eye catching and luxurious designs in its STOCK configuration that emerged in the 50s from any manufacturer.
    It was not an over-chromed attempt to copy a spaceship, rather an understated and flowing example of the long hood/short deck design formula which was and still is accepted as classic today.
    These cars, to me, are factory-perfect, and with all due respect to those who modified them, they didn't need or benefit from the changes.
    One is on my list to own, and I can assure you it will be brought into factory stock .
    They make my FOMOCO heart race.

blowby, jimmy six, raven and 2 others like this.
  22. raven

raven

Mine too.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

23. pgj

pgj
    from aurora co.

The green house is too tall

24. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dixon and Raven....I feel the same. At one of the big shows its just something I won't look at.
    2 went thru Mecum this weekend and one had been made into a convert by the company that did it back when they were new... To me there was no other car made back then or even now that can match their look.. Hump on the back included..

blowby likes this.
  25. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

26. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Been looking for a '69 or '72 Continental Mark and see lots of Mark II's priced from $25K to $85K.

27. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

So sweet. Sure took a nose dive in '58...

28. martyk98

martyk98
    from washington

I have a buddy that might have what you're looking for. I'll call and get back to you if you're still looking?

29. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Actually(in answer to an earlier post) the headlights WERE frenched, but were disguised by the trim pieces(check the stock pictures). I've 'lusted' after these since the late '50s & finally acquired my "Holy Grail"( a '56) last month. Restoration is out($$$), but intend to have it as a driver(can't afford garage/trailer queens!!). For you registry people(it may already be in there) #1147. Haven't decided on wheels(No, the caps were long-gone), but leaning towards Halibrand "kidney-bean" "copies", or, if I were to go "spokes", the original ETs would be hard to beat, again Daytons would be great, but again "pricey". (full "moons", another old 'fav', would make this car a bit too 'Rock-a-Billy'). Something smooth & nearly 'plain' seems to be in order like '49-'50 or '75-'81 factory Lincoln wheel covers (the plain ones with a small logo in the center). I've just bought the car, so give me a break, as I've not narrowed it down as of yet. & NO, no chop or lowering here : it's a driver & needs to get into driveways! I do plan to improve as I run across the proper pieces, but at least the paint isn't too rough.

'Mo likes this.
  30. barry2952

barry2952

This is not a convertible. It's just a parade car. It's a clone of our Hess & Eisenhardt-made convertible made in 1955.

The color is custom and is very close to the new Continental color. Lincoln borrowed my car for the winter the new car was in clay.