Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration coffee can storage ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JOECOOL, Jul 12, 2018.

1. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I just had to put up another shelf today ,Am I the only one who saves coffee cans full of useless crap? Why do we do this?

2. Deuces

Deuces

Nutz, bolts and wood screws....

BigO likes this.
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What the hell is this coffee can you speak of? Coffee comes in 20 oz cups in the drive thru.

BigO, kbgreen, Boryca and 6 others like this.
  4. Deuces

Deuces

They can also be used for pumping up lifters full of Earl...

BigO, fauj, Tony and 1 other person like this.

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

You familiar with the song Cat's in the Cradle?

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Coffee cans full of nuts and bolts means you get to spend hours looking through them for the one you need, only to find that there's every size except that one.

dan31, Racer29, VictorPaul and 11 others like this.
  7. And that's why we have sooooo many.^^^^^^

wandi harry, BigO, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  8. Deuces

Deuces

One of the best songs ever written.....;)

jaw22w and Johnny Gee like this.
  9. I learn from my granddad "Highpockets" I still have one of his cans full of nuts & bolts. HRP

[​IMG]

BigO, saltracer219, kbgreen and 6 others like this.
  10. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Yep, gotta be organized, like me. I put all the bolts in one, and the nuts in another. That way I dont have to look through both cans if I only need a bolt :)

dos zetas, BigO, Truck64 and 2 others like this.
  11. 1644BE6F-6436-466D-8DF7-71C9CB07E16B.jpeg I used to do this coffee tins, tomato sauce jars, boxes etc.
    Lost my mind a few years back looking for a 1/2 corse thread nut and could not find one !!

Bought a bunch of organizers and spent a good 3 months organizing everything !!

I can’t throw away hardware,nuts bolts brackets wire fittings, hose clamps etc etc ....

I have tons of “ bits and pieces”
    Bet I have a NOS muffler bearing and a 1/2 bottle of blinker fluid also !!
    I bought these and they work mint everything is organized
    Metric in one, standard in another, brass fittings, trim clips, washers, self tappers , wiring connectors etc etc

banjorear, catdad49, fauj and 2 others like this.
  12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

we save all this crap because we might need it some day. then we we die our family throws it all away wondering why we saved all this crap. if you are lucky, they sell your cans of useless hardware at your estate sale, so someone elses relatives can throw it all away some time in the future.

been to many an estate sale where they were selling jars and cans of hardware. my favorites are the glass jars screwed under a shelf full of hardware and no two pieces alike.

TWKundrat, kbgreen, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  13. i eventually organize the stuff into drawers but i have a bunch of cans to still go through. DSCF0015.JPG

14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Without going totally Sigmund Freud here. "Generational Suffering" which is what the song Cats in the Cradle illustrates is a very serious problem often never realized. I'm happy to hear you've changed the path you were following. :)

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  15. southcross2631

southcross2631

I used to ,but it is hard to get too much in a K-cup.

16. topher5150

topher5150

my dad used a lot of metal Coleman lamp oil cans with the side cut off at an angle

17. I inherited my proclivity to hoard small nuts, bolts, and other crap. My dad did it and I have all the stuff he stashed away since heaven knows when. He was raised in the depression era and back then people didn't throw anything away because they might need it or might need to make something out of it because everyone was too poor to buy stuff. I found out that whatever I do throw away, I will eventually need it someday so I quit throwing anything away that was in the least bit useful. It has saved me a fortune (in my mind).:rolleyes:

18. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I use the clear plastic nut containers from Costco. Saves a lot of time when you can see whats in them and by rotating then.

BigO likes this.
  19. I'm more a pickle and jam jar man you can see trough them
    But don't grab them when you got cup grease on your hands

Sent from my VS996 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dualquads, BigO and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. 2935ford

2935ford

and end up going to the store to buy more!

Deuces and XXL__ like this.
  21. samurai mike

samurai mike

I started using empty kfc famous bowl containers. nice snap on lid and see through!

Deuces likes this.
  22. slowmotion

slowmotion

I favor the peanut butter, mayonnaise, and other clear plastic jars, as I'm known to drop shit on occasion. Those big clear plastic pretzel jars are great for the catch-all nut & bolt assortment. Roll it around on it's side 'til you find what you want, take off the big red lid and ya got it!

Old wolf, lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  23. leon bee

leon bee

I been doing a little work on an old man's house, and he pays me with garage sale stuff- tools,etc. But last time we were getting down to the cans and jars of useless hardware. Brought em home and put em beside my own cans and jars of worthless junk I'll never, ever throw away.

24. XXL__

XXL__

At which point, you find the ones you had been looking for in the first place.

2935ford and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. Wes Brown

Wes Brown

I wish i was organized enough to use coffee cans. I've got buckets, paint cups, little boxes, even the goofy attachment holder thingy off the shop vac full of stuff. Every time I look at it all I think of George Carlin and his stuff!

Algoma56 and Deuces like this.
  26. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Wow!! someone took a picture of my dream bolt/nut/screw/clip supply

Deuces and tb33anda3rd like this.
  27. I inherited a ton of nuts, bolts, screws. nails etc. Mostly in glass jars. My Dad grew up during the depression as well. One of my favorite finds was a old "scratch anywhere" match box full of: "Pencils - Too short to sharpen" LOL

kbgreen likes this.
  28. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Good topic for me right now. I am sorting through a bunch of coffee cans full of all types of fasteners and old car parts right now. They were in my dad's shop. A lot of it looks WWII related. Dad was a engineering supervisor in a shipyard then.

2FordGuy, kbgreen and Deuces like this.
  29. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I go threw 2 plastic coffee cans(containers) a year. I buy more nuts and bolts than that in a year.
    My collection would look like this if it was in one area. I have 25 or so file cabinets for larger items.

30. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Dude, yer scaring me