Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Wait.........something has gone missing!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5window

5window

No,no. Losing it to yourself doesn't count! :)

2. 5window

5window

you can't buy a historic hot rod and make it something different-then it won't be "traditional"

anthony myrick likes this.
  3. I own and drive several "hotrods" that don't fit in here on the HAMB as "traditional".....
    Guess what? I don't care!!!!! I like them, and I drive the crap out of them!
    And I still enjoy the HAMB! Greatest hotrod site on the web!

Thor1, TimCT and Hnstray like this.
  4. 5window

5window

The '57 should have been gone,too. No way a bone stock car is either a traditional hot rod or a custom. But, the HAMB has many grey areas-besides on the heads of those members who still have hair-and the Moderators are not always consistent in their purging.

5. squirrel

squirrel

Sure...but they weren't! that's the whole point. If you want to build a car in "a traditional way", you could get away with that. But if you want to build "a traditional car", you have to use what was available at that time.

The HAMB is about building traditional cars, not building cars in a traditional way.

Nobey, partsdawg, hrm2k and 12 others like this.
  6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

@squirrel gets it... thank you

Nominal, hrm2k, 117harv and 2 others like this.
  7. To be totally honest there are is a very small segment of the Hamb members that can boast of having period correct traditional cars and they fall under the heading of traditional hot rods and customs.

The heading Hokey ass message board is where the majority of the members generally post,as I see it the administrator & moderators are pretty lenient with most of the threads,very few can lay claim to owning a traditional car but we try to build to emulate the styles of the pre 65 era.

There were no S-10 frames,LS-1 engines and the independent rears and IFS is not what hot rodders were using during that time.

It's really easy to post and not have your thread deleted,you just don't post threads where you are using the afore mentioned parts,you don't have to talk about your lS engine if that's what you want or used.

At the end of the day,Moriarity nailed it when he said it all comes down to is we would like this place to have the same look as sitting down and looking through a stack of 1948-1965 Hot Rod magazines.

To paraphrase Smoky Yunick, The Hamb is The Best Damn Garage in Town! HRP

8. I saw it the first time,
    I agree with most of it.
    The part that you're missing is the part you don't see. I guess reading the rules and guidelines here might help with that.

Anyone can do pretty much anything they want and build anything they want. More power to you and have a blast with it. My mom loves her "hot rod" and she drives it like she stole it. She spanked a 65 goat the other day and still smiling , bless her 72 year old heart. It's fantastic to see her have so much fun & she loves the car. It's a 92 olds convertible with a hopped up 3.8 supercharged engine plus a bunch of other stuff that don't belong in there to make go and stop way better. Guess what, NO BODY here wants to hear about it. My Mom would be welcome here but not her car. My mom married a gear head, her father was a gear head, her brother was a gear head, and her son is a gear head, her favorite nephew is a gear head- She's been in it her whole life begining to end. My moms mentality and experience would be welcome here. What if she was non stop about her car looking for approval here for her 92 olds?

9. Bigbangtheory

Bigbangtheory
    BANNED
    from ohio

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    aerocolor likes this.
  10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Pete and Jakes parts that are effectively reproductions of vintage parts (axles, hairpins etc.) are fine here

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. I like HotRods.
    drama, not so much.

12. Not a thing wrong with your car,keep posting. HRP

lothiandon1940 and Moriarity like this.
  13. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Guys...let's actually start studying our history. Rod & Custom 1964 Don Tognotti's King T had a chromed JAGUAR REAR END. Yes....1964!

14. just posting before it gets deleted again
    I wanna play too

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. folks keep bringing up the jag rear but not the aftermarket IFS
    hmmmmmmmm

upspirate, Clay Belt and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. adam401

adam401

Man these threads show up a lot. Seems simple. This is one place on the vast internet with a specific focus. People that want to view cars built in that specific window can come here and not wade through a bunch of other stuff. People that want to discuss tech from a specific period can do that here. There's a lot of information here that you can't find elsewhere. If this gets watered down its just another general interest car site.

It doesn't mean off topic cars aren't cool or their owners builders aren't awesome. I love BMWs as well as hot rods. They aren't discussed here. That's not the focus here. I go elsewhere to discuss them. Simple right?

The thing where it gets sticky is that people get offended when they can't participate with the car they ha e worked so hard on. Car guys are passionate and its a hobby that involves a lot of sweat, money and time. When someone's car is deamed off topic it cuts a little deep cause its their pride and joy. I get that and respect that. That being said if this place loses focus it loses its purpose and that would be a shame.

Saxman, RMR&C, HOTRODPRIMER and 2 others like this.
  17. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

And disc brakes....Most ’40s-era hot rods used pre-war Ford hydraulic brakes or postwar Bendix units as found on Lincolns or Ford pickup trucks. Kinmont Safe Stop brakes were found on old “Oakland Grand National Roadster Show” winners like the AMBR award-winning T roadsters of Rico Squaglia and Dick Williams. Ralph Neale had a set on his ’32 roadster, as shown in Hop Up in September 1953, and Lynn Wineland ran Kinmonts on his channeled ’32, as shown in Trend Book 102 Hot Rods, published in 1951. Phil Weinberg’s famous aerodynamic, Emil Deidt-bodied roadster also ran Kinmonts.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. I have had threads deleted recently
    I must have messed up by not having a thread deletion thread

19. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Hmmm, maybe because jag rears fall into the time frame and IFS doesn't....Hmmm

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. yep
    I heard folks say it may have been deleted due to the rear, the front didn't come up much
    the vette and jag rear fits the cutoff period

my comment should have been worded better

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. The dude probably would have gotten along fine. If he didn't draw attention to the OT parts of his car once he knew what they were. Doubtful anyone would have picked on the street rod stuff if it was kept out of the forefront.

Clay Belt, RMR&C, TimCT and 3 others like this.
  22. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

My computer has a big red X at the top right corner, when I'm online
    when I see something I don't like, or read something that I don't agree with I use my mouse to click that X...guess what? Problem solved
    Cool Car, does have some parts that are considered this forum, and that's cool too, so does mine but I'm not going to worry about someone who I cant see in person telling me my car is this and or that.

Sometimes this site acts like how the Street Rodders in the late 80's 90's with billet and tweed etc.. treated the first guys to build period cars See first issue of Hot Rod Deluxe, and that is where people get their nose out of joint

23. Barn Hunter,I'm not aiming at you in particular but It's not hard to find something that contradicts policy but it wasn't the norm.

It's Ryan's site,he makes the rules & the moderators enforce them,they are what they are and ether we abide by them our look for another place to play, itpicking and bitching about the rules & guidelines ain't gonna change anything. HRP

Deuces likes this.
  24. ............Exactly. Why open one of these if you don't have to................ can-of-worms.jpg

25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The King t had a 55 chev center section and home built IRS
    https://www.tbucketplans.com/tognottis-king-t/

26. ..........Certainly not Mark.:)

Moriarity and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  27. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Nitpicking? I guess Moriarity has a collection that is the "NORM"? We all admire him. WHY? Because his cars aren't all black or red 32's. It IS Ryan's site and he saw enough value in Moriarity, his cars, his collections, his taste, to make him a MODERATOR. Is this a site about the NORM? Wow, I don't think so. Sure, we have the base norm....but everyone loves odd rods, why there are even threads about them. Please let us know if we all need to have 32's to stay on the site. Wait...even Ryan has a 38. Back in the day that was not a very well accepted car, but it sure is cool. BITCHING is trying to change the rules. Pointing out the innovations and forward looking show cars of the period is not BITCHING.....right, Moriarity?

28. tomcat11

tomcat11

Jag, 1964, Bingo

29. 34Larry

34Larry

Since I'm the culprit here in all this, I can explain precisely how all this could have been avoided and perhaps, just maybe the rules could have been more explicit than what they currently are.
    Allow me to go back to my very first posting history which I believe included pictures of all that violates the "traditional" pre '65, things that invalidate my Ford.
    Firstly what is "traditional"? I was totally ignorant of the definition used here on HAMB, thinking in my mind if it "looked" like a hotrod, had hotrod roots, it was "traditional". I did breeze through the rules as posted and was still of the opinion I was well within the parameters of "traditional".
    IF...……… at the first point of any of the moderators witnessing the pictures of the frame which was my first priority and was the first postings as I recall, (I could be wrong on that but it was close I'm sure),...……... I would have been informed in no uncertain terms that I was in violation of the rules of this site and why how I was, saying something close to, " Hey bud we want only cars here that duplicate in every aspect the hotrods of the 30's, 40's, 50,s and early 60's, no IFS/IRS, no modern wire wheels allowed, etc., every bit of this would have been avoided, as I would have acknowledged the terms and never posted again except for an occasional technical question perhaps.
    But no,...………..it never went down that way. I don't recall the date of my first post, but I took my time building this as it is the first one I have built from the ground up and it was a retirement thing so I took my time, 22 years start to finish. That is not to say my first post was some 22 years ago, but the point being it wasn't last week or the week before. Actually there was a "member" who mentioned that it didn't belong in the "Traditional Hotrod side" and it was Ryan who moved all the postings to that date over to the MAMB side and he notified of doing so. So that in its self told me that it being there was alright and in doing that I did not know that I was indeed violating all that is held holy here.
    My point: While I was indeed in the wrong by posting at all, allowing me to go on for actually years in doing so then coming down on me saying it was a mistake that it violated the rules, and deleting all my input and meaningful input back to me, well that would piss off the Pope. Point to make: Moderators get together, decide if your going to enforce the rules 100%, 75%, or at whatever percentage and stick with that.
    You'll excuse me if you will for saying I'm out-a-here, but I'm a tenacious bastard, (witness a 22 year build), when I fell wronged, and I was wronged on this site and I do and will defend myself.
    Now I am fully aware that people being people there will be counter words to what I have said here. I will not be back on this subject again, this is my last input on the matter. One of my best college speech professors said this during one of my stinging debate losses.
    "Most times, debates, (read arguments), only serve to convince that one is more "right" then, they were after it is over and done, then they were, when they begun.
    See ya a'round.

SquintBoy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.