Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Car Shows As I Have Enjoyed - Now GONE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roddin-shack, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Dennis D

Dennis D

There was a nice low mileage one for sale at GG in Des Moines! D

F&J likes this.
  2. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

There is some profits in that group... just buried real well by the 30 yr board members

3. BJR

BJR

I would like to see some proof, if you are going to throw around wild accusations on a public forum.

Chucky likes this.
  4. pragmatist

pragmatist

Around these parts if a not=for=profit isn't making crazy money they don't stay long.
    NFP... the new capitalist.:rolleyes:

Hnstray, CornfieldPerformance and F&J like this.
  5. manyolcars

manyolcars

hahaha oh well. why not. traditional hotrods are a minority of whats here now

6. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Go back a few years back and read the minutes in the line chaser , there was a young board member on to something and raised a stink for over a year

Chucky likes this.
  7. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

They stopped building cars after 1972. That should be the cutoff!!!

8. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

1987 was 31 years ago! My 34 year old nephew still has the1978 Malibu I gave him when he was 15, it is 40 years old! To many people attending these shows these are the cars that where cool when they where young. Not hamb friendly for sure, but no law says these shows have to be. I use to love going to the Goodguys show at Indy because of the drag racing. I use to love the street rod nationals in Louisville and the Nats north in Kalamazoo. I have been going to Back to the 50s every year since 1990. I only go to the 50's and the Meltdown events now. Not because of cut offs, But because the cost of fuel, food and motels . I spend about 1,800.00 between them. Throw in another 800.00 for the Jefferson and Iola swap meets and that's my fun money for the year. Larry

9. Amen.
    I remember the new 1973 74 muscle cars as they hit the streets.
    They all sounded like high pressure air hoses, and couldn't get out of their own way.
    Almost anything pre 72 would run rings around the new striped and hood-scooped hissing air hoses on wheels.
    Thats when the muscle car era ended for me. I was still a hotrodder, but no longer interested in late stuff.
    Other than a rare flash of a special model once in a long while, there were no interesting or notable power enthusiast cars in the mid 70s and 80's
    When the best ones turned into slowpoke hissing air hoses was when I started looking more into the older home builts even more than before.
    To me nothing ruins a car show faster than a stock looking polished Toyota or Pinto unless they really did something special with it.

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  10. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Multiple accounts, etc, some one took lessons from Clinton... the water is pretty murky at the msra

partsdawg and BJR like this.
  11. To me you should drive your car as much as possible. Go to shows, a lot of these cars come out for shows only or get used on weekends. Get a drop of rain and they run home. I work with a guy that has a HAMB friendly Mopar, but it sits in his garage most of the time. Where is the fun in that? He will sit all day in the hot sun hoping to get a trinket of a trophy. I took my Ford grocery shopping last night on the way home from the gym.

31hotrodguy, F&J and guthriesmith like this.
  12. BJR

BJR

Thanks for expanding on you original statement. It does sound shady.

13. So some old guys bemoan advances in technology, capitalism and the march of time itself.

And they do it on inexpensive computers, then share it with the entire world...:confused::rolleyes:

49ratfink, Hnstray, egads and 2 others like this.
  14. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I am preparing to build a Square Body Chevy (74 longbed) with my 12 year old son. It will be his first car. He purchased it with lawn mowing money, and is picking the style of the build. He likes patina, lowered, longbed trucks... with LS power:eek::eek:

When we get his truck done, he will want to go to the NSRA or Street Rod National shows and I'm real glad that he is allowed. I'll take my 51 also. It'll be great. By the way... he is getting the itch to build something open wheeled and traditional. Probably all that time he spends with dad and his friends.;)

I could have just scoffed at him because he does not have exactly the same tastes as I do. If I did, he would just play Forza all day on his Xbox One and not learn anything from me about building real cars. I would rather spend time with him in the shop. Times change. Forward thinking folks learn to change with them so they can have some influence on the next generation rather than sit back and watch something they cannot control influence them instead.

15. square body trucks and fox body stangs are gateway hot rods

16. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I don't see the point of having a 1999 Corvette in a traditional hot rod car show. I don't see the point of allowing vendors selling toys, trinkets, rocks and household furniture, that have nothing to do with cars at car shows.

Muttley, 49ratfink, e z i and 2 others like this.
  17. Surely you believe your ride can hold its own parked next to a newer vette

Mine can

Hnstray likes this.
  18. F&J

F&J

Lol.."lighten up Francis" (from an old Richard Geer movie)... You would've shit..I take my hotrod out every late day, scenic stuff...This 21 year old guy I met for the 2nd time at the UConn farmland lot told me about a cruise happening right then, one town away... I said lets go! Then he tells me "a lot of newer stuff". We arrive....It was a tuner import show! I parked anyways... LMAO... right in the front! Wow lots of pretty girls too!! hubba hubba :)
    DSCN0715.JPG
    ^^ at the tuner show... I ended up having this 26 year old former classmate of my son spot me! I have not seen him in 15 years! I used to chaperone for 4th-5th grade school trips long, long ago, so it was a real treat for this old geezer!
    I get why you said your mind, you are correct about saying what you feel. Me, I skip shows now...I much prefer driving mine every day.. I meet people from all over the world and different backgrounds and ages. I guess I must have built mine to be enjoyed by the masses?, as I let people have FUN at my car.. Pics two nights ago...no, I did not know any of them, and the two couples did not know each other!!
    DSCN0939.JPG DSCN0940.JPG DSCN0941.JPG
    ^^^ you can't convince me that these two gals did not feel young again at that moment! Look at the smiles! This never happens to my car at any show! I like seeing people run wild! and have fun. LOTS of young kids have had parents take pics of them IN my car, too...perhaps they will get into cars because of that? IDK
    DSCN0762.JPG

Yes, I have never understood for 45+ years of shows, why the car OWNER had to pay, and at many shows, then the spectators get in free?? The wicked excessive entry fees these big shows extort is a huge, huge turn off to me. I don't go, and would not sit/bake in the sun all day even if it was free. Like I said, I prefer to drive mine every eve...I make my own one man show everywhere I go, and then park. I've seen enough other builds in my life, but now prefer being with people I run into by pure chance...rather than always just car people.

I kept meeting this foreigner around here, (a vintage VW car guy) but never met him at UConn..We became friends on his 3 month work study here.. He is a professor from the University of Innsbruck, Austria . He and his 15 yr old youngest daughter rented this UConn owned home on a dirt road on campus! I sat on their deck with a beer...overlooking one of the schools horse riding tracts... Oh, it was an "imported" beer ...lol.. Then a week later we went to the local mixed makes, mixed year cruise and had a blast. Why would I need to, or pay stupid insane greedy fees to go to a big show?? For what? I am not giving this current lifestyle up.
    DSCN0667.JPG DSCN0662.JPG DSCN0670.JPG DSCN0672.JPG
    ^^he is taking a pic of my dash in this pic... For his car friends back in Europe!

Anybody want to join me some eve? Let me know... .

31hotrodguy, Dave_D, Fordors and 4 others like this.
  19. Sactownog

Sactownog
    from SAN DIEGO

AGREED, the gateway Hot Rods for sure. but in the end, they could have spent that money on earlier vehicles and built something awesome.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think that is a lot of what started the later model getting in thing. Dad or Grandpa has the really nice old hot rod or custom but the kid or grand kid who has thousands of hours and dollars in his later model ride has to park it out in the lot with the mini vans. I heard that 30 years ago when the tri 5 Chevies had to sit out in the spectator lot because there was a 48 and older cut off date. If you have been at this for 40 + years you well and good remember when you and your buddies wandered out the gate and walked though the parking lot to check out a couple of mid 50's or early 60's rigs that were parked out there.

I'm not going to give up going to car shows because they let late models in. I am being more selective and willing to travel further to a cool traditional hot rod/ custom event passing by one that lets in later cars and is closer.
    Just thinking though, when we took the 48 to it's first event as a participant vehicle and our first event as participants, which was the 1973 Street Rod Nationals in Tulsa 32 Fords were 41 years old and my almost too new 1948 was 25 years old. Today a 25 year old car or truck is a 1993. A 77 Camaro is 41 years old. A bit shocking that mullet Camaros that we as hot rodders think of as late models are over 40 years old.

I went to a totally open event a couple of months ago that supports the local Ag museum. It draws everything from over restored Brass Model T's to Corvettes that left the showroom the day before and everything in between. This was the year of the rusty 60's and 70's sedans from what I could see but there were some real interesting rigs there and while I did take photos of everything that was interesting and a couple of what the crap was that guy thinking rigs there were 50 or more late models that I never slowed down at or took a photo of. Nothing I couldn't see on the used car lot a mile away including the oversized rims but I didn't walk around back to see if they had a Prestige Motors license frame. Walked by a number of cars where the owners or their wives had set up camp in front of the car with lawn chairs and what not. Park your butt in front of your car in a lawn chair, don't expect to find a photo of it in Rob's coverage of the event no matter what it is. Broke my own rule about taking a photo of a vehicle sitting in the show with someone sitting in it.

Thinking about it even when I make the trip over the hill to Billetproof I don't necessarily stop and look at every car in the show or take photos of every car in the show. I take more photos but usually more detailed shots of certain cars. There are cars there that a lot of guys on here would and do drool over but they aren't my style so they don't get my attention.

21. I occasionally drive my 63 to our local tuner events
    Those guys love it even though is 10-20 years older than anything there.
    The cool part is almost everybody there is hanging out checking out rides and not sitting in chairs
    If you want this awesome hobby to thrive new blood has to be introduced
    My younger son is just now getting into older cars. He wants a pro touring styled stang. I hope we get the chance to build something togeather. He has already said he will help build moms 56 and is helping clean out the shop so we can get started.
    This is how this hobby will survive not shutting out things you don’t like

22. Clik

Clik

If I was a promoter with the space I would park vehicles in sections based on year of mfg. I would segregate vendors with non auto related stuff from auto related. I've attended some big events where where people segregated themselves for the most part. I liked that. It saved time and walking.

robracer1 likes this.
  23. alchemy

alchemy

No, '55 Chevies are gateway hot rods. Square Chevy trucks are swap meet haulers, and fox body Mustangs are teenage girl's cars.

49ratfink, blue 49, BJR and 1 other person like this.
  24. And please do not confuse any of my support of newer cars at shows as an indication of hopes for those changes here.

31hotrodguy and F&J like this.
  25. I work with students. An old car to them is a fox body
    They can be used to introduce younger folks to “ hot rods”. This happens in my class regularly

26. F&J

F&J

anthony myrick said:
    square body trucks and fox body stangs are gateway hot rods
    If I;m not mistaken, you are a newbie to the hobby...and you started with that stocker Mopar sedan and then realized it can't cope with todays traffic speeds..so you are going to rod it? Ok, those old cars like yours are not in demand like they once were as "stockers"...those guys have passed away, or moved to retirement homes.. So, you are running with a very closed thought pattern when you diss the squarebody trucks as "could've spent that money on something older". WTH? my 26 year old son always wanted a rot free Squarebody short fleet 4x4...because...that IS his generation!.. (it's in the storage building here now! waiting for some sprucing up)I ran squarebodies for 2 decades as a modern truck, work, beach ocean camping on the sand dunes, ect...lol.. So, maybe my son recalls those fun times, and NOT my early 30s cars I have!

How would you feel as a group of squarebodies passed you by, while that underpowered, slow old sedan is straining to see 55mph? They might wonder why you are going so slow, but likely they all had a smile seeing YOUR choice! Open your mind, son.

"I do polls"... not really, but only by seeing WHO is giving thumbs up or raised fists on the road... the younger guys and especially younger girls, really love my 66 Chevy 4x4 camper special... Some I've talked to that also have seen my 32, said they'd rather go for a cruise in the truck! "Blondes" from age 45 to 65 LOVE the 32!..no lie! LMAO! I do smoke shows for them if I see them staring as I pass through a parking lot! I point right to them and let 'em rip! :eek:

I've had many elder 32 owners tell me that "someday nobody will want a 32".. Meaning the popularity of prewar cars is dwindling as we die off!

27. My students love threads like this.
    One asked if some of these guys were scared of his 5.0
    I giggled and said no. Complaining about the younger generation is part of the circle of life

28. F&J

F&J

Most people don't know that when the Big Carlisle PA. show came into being in the early 70s, and instantly exploded in popularity!!, it was because two guys who promoted it, were into tri-5 chevys and the nearby Hershey / AACA would not allow them on the show field, or to have those parts in the swap area!

Ranchero59 and anthony myrick like this.