Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carb info please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big A, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Man, I love the HAMB. :D

Bruce, thanks for taking the time to dig that up for me.

Jeff, I'm back. Don't be dropping my old beat-up carbs, ya hear? Only drop Josh's really nice ones.

Stevie, do you do casting? That's something I'd really like to learn about. Dave's talking about making his own cross-ram, that would be a helluva casting project.

czuch likes this.
  2. Wow - thanks Bruce - that is good reference

Hey - The only reason I said anything about dropping the carbs all the time was because it was chipping the paint off my floor where they hit.

:D

3. Andrew - I don't thing you'd need to cast the adpaters, probably just drill some 3/8" or 1/4" aluminum plate. 3/8 would be better so you could tap the 4 holes for the top 4 bolt pattern. Then just put recessed head holes fromthe top for the bolts to go through the plate to the manifold. Nice flat flush surface for the carb to sit on.

I think speedway makes these too.

4. That makes sense, not sure how it would look.

I've got to start hunting around for an intake. The Edmunds 2-pot that I have is corroded to hell. It's wall art.

5. Hell - if we do up an ACAD drawing I have a buddy that says he's got access to a laser jet machine at work. Maybe we can get some side guvment work done.

6. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

ok who knows cad? I wouold love some inline 6 (we won't mention the brand) exhaust flanges and some 383 intake flanges.

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Tudor's plan sounds good, and I think that's how the common Holley to Qjet adaptors are made--look at one in a speed shop...hell, there aren't any speedshops anymore. At any rate, you can buy the hardware kit for those separately, and that would hand you the design.

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I think these 4 bolt to 3 bolt adapters are still available. They match the Stromberg WW carbs with a 3 1/4" X 1 7/8" bolt pattern.

9. hahaha.....

looks like we need a trip to Sammy's super secret hot rod hide-away and dig up some adapters!

10. I was nosing around the Vintage Speed catalogue and came across this...

CARB ADAPTER-4 BOLT TO 3 BOLT Offy#5159 Accepts 4 bolt small base rochester carb on a 3 bolt intake. Four bolt side is tapped for your carb and the 3 bolt side is drilled to fit over the studs of your intake.

...which is what you're showing there, isn't it Tommy? I'd need one without holes so I could flip it over, drill the 4 bolt side and tap the 3 bolt side.

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Mine are smaller than the Rochester bolt pattern that I compared them to. Measure your base plate. The Rochester I have is 2" C-C on the short side. I forget the wide side dim. If the adapter is the right size, just screw in 4 studs and bolt it on the 3 bolt intake.

12. mercjoe

mercjoe

Bruce,

Is it easy to use a 0H6 with a holley 94 together on a 2x2 setup ?

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Hmmm...I think not easy.
    Pretty sure Lincoln throttle pull is backward to Ford, so would need Ford shaft and lever...adapting would raise one...and they are slightly different carbs, matching generally preferred to keep life simpler on duals.

14. It's always entertaining to use the search function and come up with your own thread from... holy crap, 12 years ago. :rolleyes: I rebuilt these 06H carbs way back when, then life intervened and they ended up back in a box.

Fast forward more than a decade and now I'm hoping to run them on my A-V8 project and scratching my head over the throttle linkage. Like @Bruce Lancaster pointed out, they do indeed push from the bottom as opposed to a standard 94 that pulls from the top, so a '32 style throttle linkage isn't quite going to work.

This is going in a very traditional, unrestored (slightly molested :D but unrestored) '31 Model A. I want/need to run a spoon pedal, firewall mount, but no Ansen swing pedals or anything modern. I'm not getting my head wrapped around what the linkage should look like or how it should function.

Oooh, visual aids...

[​IMG]

Translating a push on a pedal into a push on a throttle lever seems like it should be simple, right? I'm thinking there's going to be a bell crank in there somewhere, but my brain is melting.

Unkl Ian likes this.

15. Just went through this last week. I took off a couple 94's and bolted on some 97's. Same thing! Had to come up with a new throttle bracket. Still haven't really finished that. I put on the same throttle linkage and it wouldn't move! Was like what??? OH - dang

16. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Serves you guys right, fucking around with carbs older than you:confused::eek:o_O

Petejoe and Tudor like this.
  17. holy crap old thread.....
    Andrew, see if you can find pics of chevy 6's linkage. The '54 has the same push up setup. just a thought....

18. This thread is older than some around here. :D

@Tudor, what pedal are you running? I'm starting from scratch, I'm going to make whatever I need from spoon to carb. Why the change from 94s to 97s?

19. If I had my choice, I'd use a lime works pedal and cut it down.
    I cut the pedal down that came on the car and it was your standard lokar spoon pedal. I left the pull lever side full length but cut the spoon leg down to a couple inches. I'll shoot you a picture when I get home. The full length pedal was way too much travel and wasn't comfortable. Too hard to hold steady. Shortened it up to basically just the spoon and it is perfect. I wanted to try some new carbs and those were the least expensive I could find. I also have some other 97's I may put to use on the blower so these would work with them.

20. Weld on a longer arm, to convert to Pull.

21. Ian, haven't seen you in ages, how's life in Troll Station? :D I'm not following how a longer arm will convert to pull. This is my first hot rod build, so stuff that might be obvious to everyone is completely over my dumb-ass brain.

22. Poh

Poh
    from Quincy,Ca.

Unkl Ian likes this.
  23. Make it long on top, where the arm should be.