Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Car Shows As I Have Enjoyed - Now GONE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roddin-shack, Jul 9, 2018.

1. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I just got back home fron the Good Guys Show in Columbus Ohio to which I have attended and enjoyed for many years. This year I did not know they now have raised the cut off years for show entry to pre- 1987. I was shocked to see the enormous amount of Square body Chev pick up trucks, Monte Carlos, Olds Cutlass cars. Ford Mustangs and Mavericks. There were even a couple of V.W. Rabbits.
    Don't get me wrong there were still a lot of Street Rods & Customs. The inside vendors are no longer automotive related . They were selling facials for women. Jewelry for women. Vibrating relaxation chairs, numerous home related gadgets.

Yup, things have changed, I won't be back, I will just rely on my memories of the old days.

2. the goofy vendors stink
    I love the new cutoff
    Nashville was packed this year and I loved it
    Goodguys should have done this 10 years ago
    a lot of new and younger blood can now get exposed to older cars

3. Bigbangtheory

Bigbangtheory
    BANNED
    from ohio

I went, enjoyed every second of it. So what if there was some newer stuff, still tons of older cars. Yes there are some goofy venders mixed in with the automotive venders but I could care less. The OP needs to lighten up, keep coming and just have fun.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

when you go to a show, even one that has some changes in format, it is a good time to take pics of some of the highlights of show and share here

OLDSMAN and chryslerfan55 like this.

5. frank spittle

frank spittle

It doesn't seem to me that Goodguys Rod and Custom Association is an appropriate name any longer.

3340, 504640, lucky ink and 4 others like this.
  6. robracer1

robracer1

Its all about money and greed, let newer car in MORE$ let non automotive vendors in MORE $, when I go to shows the newer cars belong to old farts like me, maybe 5% or less belong to the younger generation.

7. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Good Guys gets a lot of grief on here. I don't understand it. I have been to every GG show in Columbus, and every one in Medina before that. There are cars I don't care for, so I walk by. But there is some seriously cool shtuff there! As long as I am getting more enjoyment than disappointment, I will continue to go. I guess the OP reached his limit.

8. I get it,us old farts hate change but times have changed and if these organizations are going to continue and grow they have to open the doors to later models,I too dislike it but that's just the way it is.

I was aa member of Good Guys from day one and attend many of the shows but I dropped out several years ago and pick and chose the event's I attend,there are still places that have a cut off year if that's what you prefer. The one listed below is pre49 . HRP

VSRA

doug j, 6inarow, wicarnut and 5 others like this.
  9. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Times change,cruising the grounds my friend and I saw 4 Citations and a Chevette,:confused: and then we saw 5000 or whatever other cars :D Great weekend.

10. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I've often thought of buying a Citation for NSRA events, but then I don't like wasting my dollars on a car that nobody in their right mind wants!

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Lol man I’d hate to see you around a glass of spilt milk.

12. There was a local car show by me yesterday and I skipped it. Didn't even go to spectate. I don't care for the entire car show mentality, however I do a couple of cruise nights during the week. I'll spend an hour or two, wait for the sun to drop down low and go for a nice ride. It makes zero sense to sit or stand next to your car all day in the heat.

klharper, 47ragtop, F&J and 10 others like this.
  13. Sactownog

Sactownog
    from SAN DIEGO

I am a new member of Good Guys but have went to every show I can make from Pleaseanton, CA to San Diego, CA.

The vendors in the building bother me, not only because they are NOT AUTOMOTIVE RELATED, but also because they take up room where for true custom classics could have parked.

As for the year increased to year 87, I think it is a good thing. the old guys who owns these custom cars are "no offense" dying off, and to keep the shows going, we the younger crowd needed to get into the classic hot rod scene. so even though these younger guys seem to all rock c10 pickups "there are a lot of them" guys like me at 36 have always wanted an old car and well when I go to shows, a lot of the time, its not very welcoming to the younger crowd. I hope that changes in the future.

14. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

That's where you are W-R-O-N-G, roboracer1...Good-Guy's is a business- it's called capitalism and oh, BTW, NSRA is a business also and they raised their year cut-off as well...!!! Both companies are in business to earn a profit...it's the American way. YOU could have started something like NSRA or Good-Guy's had you the foresight they did...and let's not forget, both companies EMPLOY a lot of people, NOT all that profit goes into the founder's pockets but you'd rather bitch about it and call it greed. Grow up a bit and look around...not every company or person is as greedy as you seem to think they are...!!!

R-

Shamus, GOATROPER02, Hnstray and 12 others like this.
  15. I think the HAMB should up the cutoff to 1987. Look at all the younger guys we could attract. We could have a "traditional smoggers" category.

16. I helped build a friend of mine a killer 33 coup. He asked me to help him find a fox body mustang for his grandson. So both of them can have a car in the shows like goodguys. This is what it’s all about.

17. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I went to the same GoodGuy show and didn't see an enormous amount of newer stuff but did see some really cool hot rods and customs.. Where else can 2 people go for an entire weekend for about $75 and see 7,000 cars, swap meet, new merchandise venders, autocross(yuk), music, seminars, women's world and a lot of other interesting things.. I hope they never stop having the really big shows and hope the cheap cruise-in people and narrow minded to progress people stay away.. It was a great time in my opinion....

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    Saxman, 49ratfink, Hnstray and 8 others like this.
  18. No
    I love newer stuff however there are plenty of other places for them. This place is a technology vacation spot and I like it that way

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I go to all the Goodguys in Pleasanton since I live close by. lucky for me I have the ability to walk past cars I don't care for and head towards the ones I do, and I would much rather go to a show where maybe 25% of the cars are not old enough for my tastes than sit home on Saturday and watch westerns on TV.

20. Are people afraid the new may rub off on their old cars. My ride has never complained about that Do newer cars have cooties?
    I’m confused

21. Sactownog

Sactownog
    from SAN DIEGO

The problem I have with new car's are the tuners, I have never liked a tuner car. the fast and furious car's are cool in a sense, but if I go to a Hot Rod show and see a lowered wheels sticking past fender rubber to thin, fender rubbing POS, I can not stand it. the Hot Rod scene is a certain type of scene. there are plenty of other shows for them, but those whiny loud coffee can tip's piss me off. just saying its called the Good Guys Hot Rod show, make sure they are Hot Rod's.

22. I understand.
    However as a teacher I love seing young folks working on cars regardless what they are.
    The pro touring look is hot and kids love it
    Think about it this way. The younger folks are being exposed to older hot rods and that’s good.
    The stay off my lawn mentality will hopefully fade away

23. BJR

BJR

That's why I belong to the MSRA, it's a non profit. Back to the 50's is 64 and older, NO Mustangs allowed.

chryslerfan55 and robracer1 like this.
  24. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I do not have to lighten up, I have an opinion and I stated it. You say you had fun. I did not. I enjoyed the old shows which I have attended and simply made a comparison with the two .

Randall, F&J, zzford and 2 others like this.
  25. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Sure, times have changed. But there is no reason to turn a show into a flea market.

26. evintho

evintho

roddin-shack should check out Billetproof. Pre-64 cars only!

dirty old man likes this.
  27. LAROKE

LAROKE

My friend, Hank Langsenkamp, attended this show and I await his report when he gets back here to South Florida. He left here about a month ago, driving his '39 Ford convertible coupe with 302 Ford engine and went first to the Back to the Fifties show, then out to a show in Colorado, then to a show in Des Moines, then on to Columbus. I get tired just thinking about it. By the way, Hank is 87 years young.

Hnstray and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. robracer1

robracer1

40StudeDude said I'm W-R-O-N-G, ok I don't mind someone making a profit, just don't like someone making a profit on all the money and sweet equity I put in my car. Don't mind going to charity shows for $20 to $30 that money helps charitys in need. I HOPE AT 71 I NEVER GROW UP

Randall, HemiDeuce, F&J and 1 other person like this.
  29. Bigbangtheory

Bigbangtheory
    BANNED
    from ohio

I have an opinion and I stated mine too. Stay home, I don't care. I will continue to go and enjoy the great show.

49ratfink, Hnstray and i.rant like this.
  30. well, on the bright side, fewer curmudgeons means less poodle skirt music

49ratfink, 2FordGuy, das858 and 4 others like this.