Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cowl Steering . . . just stop !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pete Eastwood, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Danny Brown

Danny Brown

BTW... I don't under stand why people want to argue about bump steer issues. I am almost 63, but I learned the term "bump steer" when I was about 14 years-old when I watched my friend's dad drive his T-bucket hot rod. I didn't understand the geometry, but I have associated the term "bump steer" with hot rod suspension/steering for nearly 50 years now.

loudbang and Unkl Ian like this.
  2. Danny Brown

Danny Brown

That appears to be an altered class dragster with a blown SBC. Only has to go straight until the turn off. Remember, most dragster are towed in the pits. Not all, but the quick ones usually are.

loudbang likes this.
  3. That is what they do here.

partsdawg and Andy like this.
  4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Many folks here believe that their setup has no bump steer, when in reality the suspension is so stiff that it barely cycles, and largely cannot articulate.

But hey, hot rods are supposed to ride like crap, right?

Stogy, Ned Ludd, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  5. gdaddy

gdaddy
    from nw fl.

well the reason I am here is to learn , I like the "learn something new every day" saying . of course I am old and broke down , just like my cars .

loudbang likes this.
  6. Nobey

Nobey

upload_2018-7-8_14-54-52.png Wonder how this one handles? Maybe call them Bumpsters from now on...

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  7. Joe McGlynn

Joe McGlynn

This is an interesting approach - using an intermediate bell crank to put the steering pivot in the right place. There is a lot of interesting stuff on this car -- it's pretty over the top.

SEMA-Gold-Award-Winners-2017-16-of-20.jpg

brEad, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  8. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Is it just me or would that car look a ton better without the steering junk ruining its lines?

Frames, RMR&C, Andy and 4 others like this.
  9. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

And loose the giant front wheels and the split windshield, my 2cts

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 and AmishMike like this.
  10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

He was talking about the red roadster posted above it.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I don't think geographical is the correct term here, it's all about geometry, not geography. But yes, the relationship between the wishbone/hairpin and the pitman arm/drag link connection is what is important, not so much where the box is mounted. However, placement of the steering box does play a part in this, because of the limitations of a steering box w/ pitman arm. You could theoretically mount the steering box up high on the cowel and use a real long pitman arm to get the drag link down next to the hairpin mount, and that would address the issue with bump steer; but a real long pitman arm causes other problems.

Dino 64, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  12. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Yep but he’s right with the other thing, fashion is one thing being able to drive it is more important to me , trailer queens suck arse. (As does monkey see monkey do engineering)

Dino 64 and loudbang like this.
  13. loudbang

loudbang

Well the link does kinda parallel the bars??

side steer link.JPG

side steer link1.JPG

Stogy and Dino 64 like this.
  14. F&J

F&J

What could be hiding behind the front wheel? (more bellcranks ? or what?)

I am looking at the lower "pitman arm" angled way back with wheels straight......How can it steer "full right hand turn" like that?
    I'm not picking on the car or builder, just wanting to know how it can possibly steer full right??

......and just now, the red drag roadster just posted above, also looks like it can't steer to full left ??

metalhead140 likes this.
  15. Mark Hysong

Mark Hysong

loudbang likes this.
  16. Mark Hysong

Mark Hysong

I agree, my coupe has split bones with a parallel drag link. However the drag link is a bit longer but it steers just fine

loudbang likes this.
  17. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I liken this common theme we see here, where people have rods with obvious issues that will certainly have bump steer, yet they don't notice it and claim it isn't there, I liken it to the motorcyclist who doesn't know about counter steering, and that includes most of them. Bear with me here, I think there is a connection.

Motorcycles are single track machines, they only way a motorcycle turns is by leaning it. You lean a bike into a turn. You initiate that lean by steering the bars the opposite way that you want to go, this causes the bike to fall over the opposite way and begin to turn. The rider adjusts the amount of pressure on the bar to keep the bike at the angle it needs to be to negotiate the turn, and that's how a motorcycle goes around a corner. This is a universal truth with single track vehicles, to turn right you turn the bars to the left, and vice versa. What is interesting is that most riders don't even realize they are doing that, nobody told them to do that, they just learned to ride by trial and error and they just do it without even thinking about it; and if you mention it to them they will look at you strange and ask you what the hell you're talking about. Advanced riders understand countersteering, they understand the concept, they know what they are doing, and they practice it, every day. It is a vital skill for advanced riding, but to the average rider it is just something they do without notice.

Same thing with the guys here who claim their car doesn't bump steer. They are subconsciously making adjustments for it when they drive without noticing they are even doing it, just as the motorcyclist is using countersteering to steer their bike without realizing what they are doing. The mind is making the adjustments and send signals to the arms & hands, and they all coordinate all without the driver even realizing what he is doing.

That's my theory anyway....

ratrodrodder, jvo, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  18. a lot of truth there, counter steer happens only after a critical speed though. Before that critical speed it's counter balance.

You see I ride a Roadglide with a fixed faring. I've lost track of how many guys who would consider themselves "seasoned" riders tell me they don't like the faring set up and do not like have the faring to not turn with them thru a turn. I used to say - " that's really funny because your fork mounted faring turns the opposite way of your bike. (I Get the Stink eye) that must :rolleyes:REALLY:rolleyes: bother you then- It's called counter steer, look it up and don't say to anyone what you just said to me ever again! Oh and don't watch the wheels go around while riding- you'll crash"

Anymore I don't even bother to address similar comments.
    These guys take a MC endorsement test on a rented scooter so what can a guy who negotiated the same cone course on a full dresser tell them?

On the bump steer issue, the geometry and the very nice clear animations don't lie. That perfect bump steer geometry NEEDS suspension travel to bump steer. Without movement it won't show any signs of bump steer to the driver.

loudbang, Wrench666 and Blues4U like this.
  19. silent rick

silent rick

compromises. stiff suspension, let a little air out of the tires with long, split wishbones and draglink all help to reduce the effect of bump steer. i didn't say eliminate, i said reduce. you look at pete's drawing and it looks like the car in that example has 10-12 inches of suspension travel. well yeah, in that case you will have noticable bump steer. nobody is denying bump steer. in a lot of cases, it's minimal or has become acceptable and is not the lane changing death trap pete makes it out to be.
    to make such a blanket accusation based on geometry without knowing anything about the car or how it rides is going a bit overboard. it might be time to turn our attention to single reservoir master cylinders, drum brakes, bias plys...

Xman, 117harv, Fordors and 2 others like this.
  20. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

"Silent Rick"
    "lane changing death trap" Your words . . . not mine.
    Read post # 1, I'm just pointing out poor steering geometry

21. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

When you are a professional in your field, you know when something is wrong just by looking at it.

22. I don’t really like the true cowl steering look
    I like the stock mounted style or mustang box better

Do I have to leave now?

loudbang and ls1yj like this.
  23. 392

I’m guessing that the guys that do have are trying to convince themselves that it’s ok. Pete’s first post and the tech ones after are good reads. P&J catalog as stated and the Slovers will never fill your head with bs. Great people with tons of knowledge just like Pete.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

How about INDY Car steering? Chain & sprocket 1915 with Louis Chevrolet doing the driving. He lasted longer than a Delage, Bugatti and two Mercers, a bad valve put him out of the race.
    [​IMG]
    Bob

Ned Ludd and loudbang like this.
  25. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Above! tires and wheels look like they came off a bicycle.

loudbang likes this.
  26. is that an IFS setup?
    it it is.......here we go again

loudbang likes this.
  27. Gasolinefed

Gasolinefed
    from OR

Based on the camber and control arms of the rear it may be independent also??..

That's the danger in being a militant traditionalist imo.. during the "hight" of the hot rod there was a lot of out of the box thinking and original ideas which can be hard to define in terms of history.. I guess that's why they use the law of averages excuse, if it wasn't common it isn't trad..

This isn't a slam but that's what can be contradictory to the spirit of hot rodding with the modern traditionalist.. Nothing wrong with building an original car if it's labeled as such.. Probably the true definition of a custom..

IMG_0092.JPG

Ned Ludd, loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  28. are the 'control arms' also springs?
    looks kinda like it

loudbang likes this.
  29. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Capture misc-446.JPG

loudbang and anthony myrick like this.
  30. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

But, I don't love crashing...:D

loudbang likes this.