Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Problems with Grundy insurance...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gator, Jul 6, 2018.

1. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

American modern has treated me good , for yts.. have 6 or 8 cars on it ,and the premium is 600 a yr.. not high dollar cars , but agreed value is well over 100k combined . even cover my wifes 99 mb slk . combined mi. is more than you could drive!! they do require a non classic daily , but have never specified more than that .

2. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

As for the license plates, good for them. The assholes in Olympia keep raising the license tabs fee.

Oldb likes this.
  3. Well you have to be careful what you wish for because classic in the automotive world does not fit in with the government definition of classic which is 25+ years old. You will find a lot of the cars we own would not be considered classics by the correct definition.

In the end the classic plates are no different than the regular plates. its the antique plates that get you out of having a state inspection. The route I will be going with my '56 will be registered as an antique and will have YOM plates registered to the vehicle.

Now as far as the daily goes, when I looked at Hagerty years ago I saw no mention of what kind of vehicle you had to have to have one insured through them. Just said you had to have one vehicle that is not insured through collector insurance and you are good to go. I work on cars for a living and I refuse to buy anything new. Newest I have is my '82 F150 which I am driving daily. Once I get my '78 Mercury going again I will be driving that daily again as well. People are just stupid and think anything old is not dependable. But yet I just did a ac evaporator on a 2015 F250 truck but yet my '78 and '82 still sports the original AC that functions with no parts being replaced. Hell my '63 even has the original ac but has had some work done on it.

Those fools are just ignorant in thinking that anything over 25 years old cant be driven daily.

4. gene-koning

gene-koning

Yea, the insurance company didn't have any problems insuring the car, but my son did have an appraisal and pictures when he went to them. They did write the policy as an Agreed Value, probably the result of a great agent that has since retired. I believe the company thought they were going to pull a fast one on my son after the flood covered his car, until the facts were presented. We carried on with the disagreement about the Appraised Value for about 3 weeks until we called the IL Insurance Commissioner. After we informed the company of the Insurance Commissioner's opinion of what an Agreed Value meant, they were more then happy to comply. The next deal was concerning the buy back value of the totaled car. They tried to tell my son the buy back (known as the salvage price) was with in $1,000 of the Agreed Value. That finally ended when my son wanted to know who was giving that much for a scrap 57 Dodge wagon, because he had a parts car he would sell them for the same money. They returned with a far better value (which I think was still a lot higher then it should have been.)
    Then they wanted to debate my son's ability to buy back an IL flood car. We called the IL Insurance Commissioner about that as well. The insurance Commissioner was very interested in taking up my son's fight with his insurance company, but my son's last call to the insurance company with the Commissioners opinion concerning the flood car buy back went very smoothly. My son got his check within a week.

If the policy had been written as anything other then an Agreed Value policy, my son would have gotten screwed. Since it was an Agreed Value, the Insurance Commissioner was willing and able to take a stand with my son.

The sad part of the whole ordeal is the car was covered by the shop's insurance where the car was caught in the flash flood. My son was told by their adjuster that he would probably get his money quicker through my son's company, and then the shops insurance would reimburse my son's company. My son's company was going to get every penny they paid out back! There are not many explanations as to why they were willing to fight us so hard. Personally, I think someone in my son's insurance company wanted my son's car, or they thought they could pull a fast one. Gene

PONTNAK123 and Truck64 like this.
  5. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think there are good, customer related insurance agents and companies out there but I have never found one. Some are passable but most are not. If only it were as easy to get a claim paid as it is easy for them to get a premium paid.

Have a claim? Suddenly you are not a good neighbor or in good hands.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. My initial policy in 2016 said 3000 miles a year. I did an upgrade of a few things online and wanted to increase the mileage to 5000 a year, but was unable to find a tab for that. So I left it, I have an average of about 3750 miles over the past 2 years I've been driving the car, which was 2 years exact yesterday. I'll dig out my policy later on and see if there is a mileage listed on it.

7. Yeah, lotta people forget insurance companies are in business to make money, not pay it out. Period.

lonejacklarry likes this.
  8. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

9. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Around here, it seems that the buy back amount on OT cars is 25% of the payout amount.
    I've bought several cars at the Insurance Auto Auction and the selling price is usually around 20% of the car value.

10. As far as I know Hagerty took and did away with their mileage to compete with Grundy and their lack of mileage. In the end it doesn't matter cause they cant prove mileage anyways. You can always unplug your speedometer and drive it to your hearts content after you get near your limit and they can not prove anything.

https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/classic-car-insurance

So as you can see you can drive it to work you can drive it shopping, you can drive it where ever you want long as its not daily but there is no way to prove it is being driven daily if you own other vehicles.

11. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"You can always unplug your speedometer and drive it to your hearts content after you get near your limit and they can not prove anything."
    Unless you are in a crash, and they check the car and notice the speedometer cable unplugged.

As for driving to work etc., around here, the insurance company will ask coworkers, neighbours etc. about where they've seen the car. They will do a little detective work, and it isn't difficult to discover that you were driving it to work.

12. Well they've been taught to believe that they have to buy a new overpriced phone every couple of years too, so. . . . :rolleyes:

town sedan and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. Golfer

Golfer
    from Usa

I am reading this thread as I'm in the middle of the application process with Grundy. They are now asking for me to obtain a copy of my C.L.U.E. report and a copy of my DPS driving record. I kind of figured that is the type of thing an insurance company would do on their own instead of tasking with the customer.... Maybe I should reconsider American Modern as I haven't heard many bad things about them.

14. Binkman

Binkman

8 '34's insured with Hagerty, zero problems so far.
    The price is not much more than the insurance on my new Silverado through AAA.
    They are also nice on the phone, unlike so of the others.

15. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

What is a C.L.U.E. report?

My understanding is "agreed value" is the policy folks want for collector cars.

Regular insurance companies don't ordinarily write those policies. Have to go with a specialty insurance co. "Stated Value" policy is not the same thing. In the event of a total loss they will pay the "stated value" or the "actual cash value" whichever is less. What do you think they'll do?

With an "Agreed Value" policy they just cut a check for the limits of the policy if it's a total loss. At least that's what's supposed to happen.

16. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Well I for one, don't have a C.L.U.E. what it is.

17. Wes Rager

Wes Rager

18. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

In the past, I thought all auto insurance companies would obtain that info on their own. I've insured my hot rod / classic cars with Grundy for a while now and they've never asked for that info (C.L.U.E. & driving record, etc.).

19. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

OK, what "clue" is, they want a record of past auto or home insurance claims for the prior several years. I guess this makes sense, though it seems pretty strange that they ask the customer to provide this.

20. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Weird, I just got Grundy for my RPU last fall and my daily is a 54 Buick. They didn't say a thing.

21. Dusty roads

Dusty roads
    BANNED

Canceled my Grundy insurance and went with State Farm. Same coverage, agreed value, and 1 restriction ( less than 3,000 mile per year and lower premium.

22. inaford30

inaford30

I have Safeco with my 68 GMC. Kept all my receipts from very beginning, obtained an appraisal letter, and insured for that amount. Had the truck thirty years now with one accident 20 years ago the Safeco did right by me on it.

Sent from my SM-J7008 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"...though it seems pretty strange that they ask the customer to provide this."

I guess if you made a claim but hadn't divulged everything to them previously, that would give them a reason to not pay out.

24. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Well this "Clue" thing is sort of similar in a way to a consumer credit report, only for insurance claims. I can understand why they would want that, but whether I pay for it, and then provide it to them, or they pull it themselves, the information would be identical, right?

It probably costs them a certain amount of money, and they don't want to do it? Just spitballin'. How much do these Clue reports cost? They might be trying to chase him away.

25. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Triple A for me, all my cars, my Travel Trailer and my house.

jimmy six likes this.
  26. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

Does anyone remember the guy that built a glass 32 3W on here and got Grundy insurance, then his car got stolen out of his garage while he was on vacation? Long read, the whole build of the car. Very nice job. He got in lots of trouble, If I remember correctly he spent a few days in jail, lost his business, never got the car back, or got paid.

27. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"Well this "Clue" thing is sort of similar in a way to a consumer credit report, only for insurance claims. I can understand why they would want that, but whether I pay for it, and then provide it to them, or they pull it themselves, the information would be identical, right?"

I was thinking that the insurance company might be being a bit sneaky and would be very pleased if a customer "forgot" to give full disclosure by leaving something out. Then a claim could be denied.

28. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I don't believe so, if they write the policy. I think they are trying to make that guy go away. Heck if I know, though.

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just to tie this into other threads on this board, they are happy to abandon you, as well, should there prove to be an issue with your VIN/serial number/title (if you are in a title state).

30. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wonder how many of these "problems" with insurance companies are related to the folks that buy "historical" titles or become creative with the origin of numbered parts?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019