Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Syracuse Nationals - Go or No?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by simplestone, Jul 6, 2018.

1. The Syracuse Nationals car show is coming up soon (July 20-22), and living only 15 minutes away I will once again be going to check out the thousands of cars on display. However, this will be the first year I actually have a running, driving vehicle that would be eligible to register.
    [​IMG]
    I realize that my pickup is a work in progress and not anywhere close to the quality of the other rods that will be there. My question is - how well would it be accepted in this mix? I'm not really concerned what people think of my ride because I love it, just wondering if this is the right show to have it displayed.

Also, does anyone know if the registration cost will cover the entrance fee of a passenger (my wife)? I didn't see any information on that (only that passengers 12 & under are free).

Any other Hambers planning on making it this year?

2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I brought my '36 3w there shortly after I bought it in 2010. It had come out of 50 years of storage a few months before and had some honest patina. About 20,000 people walked by it and about three of them looked it over. That was the last time I went. Lots of street rods, very few hot rods. Go and check it out. Your experience may be different than mine was.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

just go - always fun to see before stage of a build - take pics & share here

4. If your going for approval, your going for the wrong reasons...... Cruise your ride, and have a good time......

5. Go have a great time true car people will appreciate your truck. Yes the registration covers one passenger. I will be there with my 56 really looking forward to it always the highlight of my Hot Rod season. It’s like anything else it’s as good as you make it. Looking forward to seeing you there stop by and say hey if you see Hobo’s Hot Rod Garage

69B28EB0-27F9-481C-ADBC-D46A012601E2.jpeg

Ric Dean and okiedokie like this.
  6. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Way more hot rods there now Tagman. Yes always lots of street rods but lots of nice hot rods now also.

56 Dodge Pickup likes this.
  7. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry, didn't mean to imply I haven't been back because nobody looked at my car - that wan't the reason I haven't been back. I meant to say I haven't been back since, so I don't know how it's like now.

I've had some serious illness problems, as well as family commitments around Syracuse time and just haven't been able to make a return trip.

F&J likes this.
  8. Yeah, I prefer hot rods to street rods. But street rods do have a lot of personal touches & customizations that are always fun to see.
    Hobo, I'd love to check out your truck if I can find it!
    Still on the fence about registering mine, tho. Maybe this year it will just be a parking lot queen and next year it will be a little further along in its evolution. ;)

9. Also, thanks for the info about the passenger getting free admittance - that does make a difference.

10. Rambling Rudy

Rambling Rudy

If your going to drive it there, enter it and have fun being part of it!

swade41 likes this.
  11. dan31

dan31

Put it in the show and have fun. Hell ,it's a lot less walking that way anyway. Hope to see it there.

swade41 likes this.
  12. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Absolutely, Positively bring you truck to the show and have a great time.
    Your registration includes a FREE picnic on Thursday at Oneida Shores, Two entry passes, and a lot of cool vehicles just like yours. I have been to everyone and have a great time every year.

VR&C.

Rambling Rudy likes this.
  13. I do not understand why any car guy would want to go to an event on the N.Y.S. Fairgrounds after the destruction of the Moody Mile and all its history!! (The one mile dirt oval on the Fairgrounds)

Almost three years and I am still very upset!

upload_2018-7-8_19-24-55.png
    upload_2018-7-8_19-24-10.png upload_2018-7-8_19-25-42.png

Attached Files:

Ric Dean and s55mercury66 like this.
  14. 41fastback

41fastback

Park up by the Ol'Skool Roundup building. That's where I park with my primered Caddy.

Ric Dean likes this.
  15. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What at the Syracuse Nationals meets any criteria of this site? Rat Rods and Restomods?

How about trying Jeff's Jalpoy Jam Up here in southern Ontario.

And yes Robert, a travesty!

Warren

16. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Exactly! You won't have more fun anywhere else at the show. Live rockabilly bands, pin up contest, a build off, a cool swap meet area. It's a show within a show. They give their own awards too. You may be pleasantly surprised at what they like. Hang a fresh pine air freshener off the rear view mirror and smile. Good luck and enjoy.

i.rant likes this.
  17. oldolds

oldolds

One advantage of registering your truck will be that your cooler is close. You don't have to buy food at the show. Another is that any parts you might buy can be put right in the truck.

18. I agree - I don't know what they were thinking when they removed the dirt track. Such a shame. :(

Hmm.. looks like I have missed the deadline for registration anyways. I guess I'll be hoofing it again this year.
    I'll definitely be checking out the Ol'Skook Roundup, tho - my favorite addition to the show!

19. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Participation is always better than being a spectator. Bring your truck and enjoy.

20. 41fastback

41fastback

You can register there. Don't hoof it.

Rambling Rudy likes this.
  21. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Bring Your Truck & Lady, You Will Have A Great Time. Yup Your Truck Will Be Well Received. I will Be There Looking For Your Truck. Larry

22. I hate that they tore down the track and every year it's a circus but I still went and got a swap spot.

Which, if you were planning swap or car corral and don't get a spot before Friday, don't bother. Due to construction of a new building where the swap was the last two years, they have limited space, with only 250 spots for each.

23. Gman0046

Gman0046

I'd go and just walk past the stuff that doesn't interest you.

24. olds vroom

olds vroom

The build off this year is a bicycle build off . How ridiculous for a CAR show. Sparky has pigeon holed the rules so much nobody can do it any more. (Not that they were enforced anyway. ) Take it back to the rules they had the first 3 years and they would get people willing to spend the time and money to do it again ..... I would.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Screw the fairgrounds. Jump in the truck and cruise the hotel hotel parking lots around town. Why waste shoe leather when you can burn gas???

26. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

When this thread pops up I keep hoping it's about another Schaefer 200.

seb fontana likes this.
  27. tjm73

tjm73

I'd register just to park inside.

28. Looks like I will be going. I have 2 tickets - one for myself and one my daughter (or my son if she can't make it), but I'll just be leaving my truck in the parking lot. Next year my truck should be further along and I plan to register it then.
    This evening on my walk I saw a few cars out cruising the area already. :)

29. Rich S.

Rich S.

Went to Syracuse and had a great time. I saw this outside the Holiday Inn. The cops pulled it over, got out of the cruiser, walk to it, reached up and shook the drivers hand. Nice Job. IMG_1929.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

hiboyroadsterboy and pat59 like this.