Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Problems with Grundy insurance...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gator, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Gator

Gator

We just moved from Tennessee to Georgia so I was trying to update all my info. Prior to moving I’d gotten my ‘49 Caddy driving and had obtained insurance thru Grundy Worldwide. They initially changed my billing address but not as a new home address. Finally got ahold of someone there & basically had to start the whole process over (no big deal, right?)

Then things started getting weird. They wanted a picture of my new garage (never asked for one initially) They wanted a copy of the declaration page from my daily driver insurance (my wife and I both have our own vehicles - I drive a mechanically restored ‘50 Chevy Pickup) Then more pictures of my car. Then they declined to continue coverage on my Caddy. The reason? Insufficient daily use vehicles.

When I called to clarify I was told my truck was ‘too old’ to be a daily driver. I asked what year would be acceptable and was told “well, newer than that - anything over 25 years old is an antique” (by that logic a 1993 vehicle would be unacceptable) I explained my truck was very dependable, fully insured and licensed for normal use. Plus I’m retired and don’t have to drive anywhere everyday, AND my wife works from home. My driving record is perfect, not so much as a parking ticket. Still no dice. I asked if there was a certain year cutoff but there’s not - totally arbitrary decision on the underwriters part.

When they initially wrote the policy I did have another ‘newer’ vehicle but it was sold several weeks before we left Tennessee (as it was no longer needed)

In a way I’m glad, I get the feeling any company that would look so hard to arbitrarily deny coverage might do the same if and when a claim was ever filed. I’ve had policies with them before and never a problem, but who knows.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. pumpman

pumpman

Don't ya just love this stuff. I went through that drill years ago (forgot the company) ended up with my regular insurance company, State Farm on my 32, 60 brookwood and the 66 chevelle. Actually a little less than the others I tried. Go figure.

3. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

For whatever its worth, Haggerty is my insurance of choice.

4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Here we go again....

Just renewed my Grundy, $416 on two cars for a year. Never had a problem....

5. Rocky72

Rocky72
    from Pa.

Just watch Grundy doesn't try and charge you for 2 extra months after you cancel the policy . They tried that with me and that was the end of Grundy .

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Part of it is that someone sitting in a cubical who has never driven a car that was over ten years old as a daily can't understand how anyone could drive 50 something truck as a daily even though you run regular tags and have regula(r insurance on it.
    The other is I'd think that they are finding that too many people who just own an older car (over 25 years) are getting classic car insurance in hope of saving some coin and having full coverage while driving it to work daily.
    Same as antique or classic plates in this area, the abuse by those with 25 to 30 year old daily driver rigs is getting way out of hand. I saw a rust bucket 80's sedan lumbering down the street the other day with antique plates on it mismatched hubcaps and all.
    That abuse by others costs you and the rest of honest folks a lot of trouble.

ekimneirbo, oldsjoe, ClayMart and 4 others like this.
  7. 29moonshine

29moonshine

they would not insure my cars because i drive a 93 suburban as a daily. said it was to old. so my 4 cars are insured through chrome

8. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I suspect the state you moved to forced the underwriter to change. A few years back I got a letter from Grundy saying something to the effect of if you live in these states ( there was a list of several states but my home state was not one of them) they had to switch underwriters and there may be changes in the policy and potentially price changes.

9. Jkmar73

Jkmar73
    from Tulare, CA

I went through this a couple of years ago. Checked with Haggerty and Grundy. Ended up going with my regular insurance, State Farm. Price was a dollar more than either of the other two and no mileage limitation. Just had to supply pictures of the car and declared value.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. ..............................Never thought about this before, but this could be a wake-up call for any of us that might be thinking about moving to another state (think retirement, etc. ) Would be wise to check with your collector car insurer to make sure they will be willing to cover you wherever you move to.

11. Squablow

Squablow

Collector car insurance is super incredibly cheap compared to a policy on a late model of the same value, this is the tradeoff. The insurance company wants to know that you have some new, easily replaceable/expendable car to drive around that's already insured and that the old car is just for Sunday drives and car shows or whatever. If they think all you have is old stuff, they'll want you to pay, accordingly.

Hnstray likes this.
  12. ryno

ryno

5window and Gator like this.
  13. 19Fordy

19Fordy

JKMar73: Not trying to be a smarty pants but, you might want to seriously consider
    switching from declared value to agreed value. Declared value only pays the
    market value
    of the vehicle if totaled. Market value is subjective with lots of wiggle room.
    Good for the company, bad for vehicle owner. Check it out on the internet.

14. primed34

primed34

Had Grundy for years until I had a claim. I now have Haggerty. Grundy has some very rude and ignorant people handling claims. Had the same claim (windshield) with Haggerty with no problems. Kind of like the difference between ice cream and shit.

15. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anyone not know what he means here? Good analogy.

oldsjoe and crashfarmer like this.
  16. Gator

Gator

Thanks for all the input (well, MOST of it re ‘here we go again’) Russco, I know Georgia has way higher insurance rates, we had 3 ‘regular’ vehicles insured in TN, sold my ‘07 Hummer before we moved and insurance (same coverage) is STILL more here! I was expecting (and fine) with an increase from Grundy - but not cancellation.

For what it’s worth my buddy has 2 Street Rods insured w Grundy and he’s never had a problem either. Just sharing my experience for what it’s worth.

I’m with Hagerty now.

clunker, AHotRod and pat59 like this.
  17. Gman0046

Gman0046

Does Hagerty have a limit on miles driven?

18. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

There is no mileage limit stated in the policy.

19. 41woodie

41woodie

X2 on what 19Fordy said. You do not want "stated value" insurance, if you have a claim the debate will begin concerning the value of the car even though you've been paying premiums based on the the value you stated. Agreed value establishes the value of the car before you have a claim. I did have to submit an appraisal as supporting evidence. We have State Farm as it was a bit cheaper than either Hagerty or Grundy.

poprivit and Deuces like this.
  20. Jkmar73

Jkmar73
    from Tulare, CA

19Fordy and 41woodie, you are both correct. That is what I meant, declared value. It’s just an old Karmann Ghia I have, the motor I built for it is worth more than the car itself is.

pitman likes this.
  21. jmikee

jmikee
    from washington

I have had Grundy for years and have had one collision claim that was handled very well. Have never had any issues adding or removing cars from the policy.

22. SEEKONK JIM

SEEKONK JIM

i was with grunge yes i know how i spelled it...for years until i had a claim .....very rude claims adjuster....two calls back to the home office....to get it fixed.....now i am with classic auto ins.....thats my story......

23. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have all my collector cars (6) insured with Grundy with no claims and no problems to date. I did find out when I insured my last car (32 Ford 5 window) that it made a difference which under writer you get. Was initially declined but I complained and they had a senior under writer take a look and he approved the policy? Also have had my business (rod shop) insured with them for 10 years and I got a cancellation notice from them about a month ago. No claims or problems before that.

24. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I wonder if you had a claim with the Cadillac after you had switched your daily driver to the '50 pickup the insurer would have denied coverage.

25. hudson48

hudson48

This is not related to regular insurance on collector cars but recently when planning my USA road trip in the 48 Hudson the only company that offered short term cover on a visiting overseas car was Hagerty. It is only for 2 months at a time and I guess quite expensive but no one else did it. They also offered Marine Transit insurance on the car for the trip from Australia and return and that was far cheaper than that offered by my shipping company.
    My contact at Hagerty was Rick.
    [email protected]

26. I just renewed my AAA Collector Car AGREED VALUE policy on my two cars. Total annual premium - $280.00. But it does help to have your DD's and home with them also.

jimmy six and Frank the Crank like this.
  27. gene-koning

gene-koning

My son had his 57 Dodge wagon insured through American Family Classic Insurance with an Agreed Value policy for over 4 years. When the car got caught in a flash flood, it was a huge fight to get paid the Agreed Value of his car! They tried to tell him the car might not be worth that much! It took a call to the IL Insurance Commissioner to get things moving. Then they tried to tell him he couldn't buy back his car (it never left our possession). They wanted him to surrender the title and the car to them "for review!" It took another call to the IL Insurance Commissioner to straighten that out. The car is being rebuilt right now, hopefully he won't have any issues once that is completed. I believe the car is insured with Hagerty now.

All I can say is, be sure the policy your regular insurance company issues says the same thing your agent tells you it says. Anything less then an Agreed Value opens the door for them to screw you.

My coupe only has Liability coverage on it, and its really cheap. Its on the police with my wife's 04 PT Cruiser, and my 93 Dodge Dakota. I'm hoping when the Dakota gets replaced with the 39 Dodge truck, (it, like the Dakota, will only have liability coverage as well) nothing will change. Gene

Boatmark likes this.
  28. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I thought the whole point of an Agreed Value policy was to prevent stuff like this in the first place. The Insurance co. is probably going to want pictures, an appraisal, before writing a policy. And the premiums might be higher than we want. But if something happens, shouldn't be any drama right?

29. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, there should not be any drama but these insurance companies are not in the business to give money back without the drama. Agreed value is the closest thing to a guaranteed payout.

Any company that tells you "stated value" and "agreed value" are the same thing has a built in hedge for payout avoidance. And, as always, read the policy--every single word.

30. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Sure, stated or declared value always sounded sketchy to me.

I'll just get this here tetanus-vector that I picked up for scrap price "declared" at say, oh I dunno, $87,500 sounds pretty good. Then wait a couple months, my BIL will steal it. Cha-ching! Rinse, lather repeat.