Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A Speedster Comes Out of the Weeds—Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ClarkH, Dec 25, 2015.

1. rwrj

rwrj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from SW Ga

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  2. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

They make a small drill bit for drilling in printed circuit boards you can get them at a electronic store. Use it for a pilot hole, then you can drill it with a carbide bit and go slow.
    They make a King Sert that is larger than a helicoil if you need it.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I owe you guys an update. I'm dashing off to my dad's place to pick up his '31 for the Greenwood Car Show tomorrow, but will provide a full report later. In the meantime, the speedster is finally on the road--and will be in the show tomorrow.
    In the meantime, a shot from yesterday's test-drive.

Speedster+Driver.jpg

4. rwrj

rwrj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from SW Ga

That thing looks just right. Congratulations.

ClarkH and loudbang like this.
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That thing looks in the Packard range for size...perhaps its that hood with the spaced out vents but yeah the wheelbase will help in the ride department. Glad you are getting some road time in.

ClarkH, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Only things missing are a bomber style helmet & gloves. That buggy rocks ClarkH. Well done son.

BradinNC, ClarkH, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  7. Have Fun , wish my 36 was finished for that show... Car looks great man !

ClarkH, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well guys, the Greenwood Car Show took place today, and truth be told I almost didn’t make it. The plan was for me, my brother and @Hitchhiker to convoy over together, and it’s a good thing we did, because halfway there—right as I turned onto the only busy street between my house and the show—the speedster conked out and refused to restart.

We pushed it into a handy driveway. A quick check by my brother showed no spark. The guys stayed with the car while I ran home in Dad’s coupe for a test light and back-up distributor. My brother quickly installed the replacement distributor and determined there was still no spark. So the diagnostics began in earnest and he soon traced it back to a bad connection at the fuse block. He fixed that and we were back on our way. So once again I owe heartfelt thanks to my mechanic-genius brother—better than having a doctor in the family, I tell ya.

We arrived an hour later than planned and just under the wire before the closing of the gates. That precluded setting up in the vicinity of @john walker's garage, which would have been preferred, but that was OK. We wound up a few blocks south under some trees that proved nice cover when an afternoon mist set in. Only in Seattle do you wear a sweater and winter coat to a June 30th event—and it’s still packed!

Until today, I’d only buzzed around the block in this thing a few times. So a lot of guys would say I’m crazy to make a drive to and from a car show my first extended “shakedown cruise”. But the way I look at it, if I’d done a shakedown earlier, I would have been on my own when this problem occurred. This way, I had the support of a couple guys who knew what to do when the going got tough.

Anyway, the speedster got a ton of attention at the show and was pretty much surrounded all day. Lots of great questions, and I hardly had a chance to snap any pictures, let alone walk the show (the only cars I saw were between us and the Honey Bucket). Best overheard line was from a charged up eight-year-old exclaiming to everyone, “This car goes really fast!” Apparently he could just tell.

Here we are at setup, with the speedster sandwiched between Hitchhiker‘s truck and my Dad’s coupe:
    3carsatshow.jpg
    A few interested folks:
    Showspectators1.jpg

Showspectators2.jpg
    By the way, I’m hugely happy with the results of my recent updates. As expected, the Winfield head has added a lot of power, and the ’39 transmission is a joy compared to that of a stock Model A. With all that torque and the Zephyr gears, second is perfect for bombing around in the hilly Seattle streets.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Pit Crew was busy but ya done good...Summer's here OH Yeaaaah...Ironing the Bugs on the Fly.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and ClarkH like this.
  10. loudbang

loudbang

All your hard work it paying off. Have FUN with it. :)

chryslerfan55, Stogy and ClarkH like this.
  11. About the only thing that could have made your showing better would have been a large picture of as found.
    Those folk probably have no idea of all the hard work you put in saving this jewel from the scrap pile.
    Clark H you dun gud son so don't be bashful go full speed ahead & reap your rewards.

12. I have to say, I don't exactly remember when I first saw this thing or even really when I first met Clark, except that it was thru this place and that I was probably selling him some part i had scrounged somewhere ... it turned out we lived fairy close to each other and that I also had previously worked for a Land Rover restoration shop that rented space from his Brother Ric. So thus slowly began our friendship over cars, general old junk, and beer.

As the years progressed I have watched this car turn from a "good planter box candidate" to a beautiful running and driving car. This thing deserved to be saved and you saw that when almost no one could.

Despite yesterday's hick up, this thing drove there and back! You should be proud my friend! I'm proud of ya! I have to say I almost got defensive about some of the talk from the non car people friends of yours that knew what it first looked like... But watching you bask in the glow of the crow they were eating without a hint of "I told you so" was priceless. I'm honored to have been involved in its first outing and I look forward to more fun together!

Here are a few artsy shots my girlfriend took I thought I would add for others to see..

48070-MMS-1530429834980-attachment1-orca_share_media1530411087192.jpg 48072-MMS-1530429834980-attachment1-orca_share_media1530411086699.jpg 48069-MMS-1530429834980-attachment1-orca_share_media1530411086979.jpg 48067-MMS-1530429834980-attachment1-Screenshot_20180630-192603.jpg

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Time Machine...just add dirt...:D

brEad, loudbang and ClarkH like this.
  14. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Good looking pictures love the hat and goggles.
    You did a excellent job of saving it. Frank

15. [​IMG]

The MAN & HIS machine. I bet you couldn't get that grin off OL ClarkHs' face with a cutin torch.
    Luv this one Clark.

Stogy, kidcampbell71, cactus1 and 3 others like this.
  16. 31Apickup

31Apickup

It was good seeing you guys and the speedster in Greenwood, it wasn't that long ago it was just sitting and rotting, you really did it some justice!

Stogy, loudbang and ClarkH like this.
  17. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Matt, thanks for the very kind words. And for the pictures--Lee sure knows her way around a camera. I especially like the shot of the car driving away. Finally under its own power after all these years. If I mentally Photoshop-out the modern vehicles parked along the curb, suddenly it's 1930!

And yes, as you noted, a lot of my friends who stopped by during the show don't entirely get it. They are wonderful people, but not car folk, and can't grasp all the threads that had to come together to make this thing whole and "right." You get it, and so does my brother Ric, and your enthusiam was a huge motivator in getting the speedster "ready for its close-up." Same can be said of everyone here on the Hamb--my extended car community.

18. flatford39

flatford39

You really need to get an emblem for that hole in your radiator shell. The original AA was a stainless oval with the Ford script in black if I remember.

loudbang and ClarkH like this.
  19. This should help...:D Great looking ride!!

1.jpg

20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome Moose...tune it out...
    dream a little...

Priceless...

21. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agree completely. I'm trying to figure out what badge would be cool up there in the place of honor--I may have to grit my teeth and pay somebody to reproduce the orignial Mercury badge. Or find some kind of cool winged icon that isn't necessarily brand-specific to anything. Ford oval is my fallback--I have several--but it gives away the show, and I kind of like leaving the average Joes guessing as to what all they're looking at.

22. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dude!!! That is amazing! THANK YOU!

kidcampbell71, themoose and loudbang like this.
  23. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome looking ride ClarkH. Congratulations on a job well done!
    Jim

24. Squablow

Squablow

I have one of these on the dash of my T. Not sure how big that hole is but if it's not too big and you can find a good way to mount it, this might work. There's lots around on eBay and they're cheap. (I'm not affiliated with the seller on eBay, just posting a link as an example)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-19...476665?hash=item48aefd3b39:g:r~MAAOSw1PJbKbIi

20180627_110615.jpg

25. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:DHi Clark.Very nice Sir.That color just seems to really fit.Thanks for posting.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

26. What a great build thread!
    I've normally skimmed over it, but just sat down and enjoyed it from page one uninterrupted (Wife had gone to town).
    Man, did I miss a lot! Not only is this a miracle car, but you've got a writing style second to none. I got a chuckle from every post! What a great sense of humor.
    Keep on keeping on. Can't wait for the updates.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    brEad, Stogy, ClarkH and 2 others like this.
  27. I have experience sand casting....just saying.

28. Stooge

Stooge

Wow, just Wow. starting last night, I just finished reading through your thread, and watching it go from buried in the weeds to the pictures Hitchhiker shared a few posts up, it gave me literal goosebumps to see what you've accomplished. As another who's just cobbling together with limited tools in a non pro shop, its been great to see you go from someone who didn't have any metal working experience, to a running, driving, beautiful car. I especially appreciate it since cars like speedsters, boat tail roadsters and brooklands era race cars, were some of my first car interests and its great to see this, especially since I could just read from start to "finish". You should be nothing but proud of what you've done!

ClarkH, loudbang, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  29. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Saw it at the Greenwood show,
    I stopped to say hello but you and Matt were hot in conversation and I was on my way out.
    Hope to have another oportunity to check it out more thoroughly.
    You done good

20180630_111431.jpg 20180630_111456.jpg 20180630_111503.jpg

30. Homemade44

Homemade44

ClarkH, your accomplishment with this project is just amazing. Congratulation on completing your vision by overcoming many problems and challenges. The car is great and your skill level has improved greatly and that is worth all the time and effort expended. Driving it, showing it and just enjoying the results of your work is the payoff.
    You shared the good, bad and ugly and asked for help when needed says a lot about you which is very positive. Not many people are willing to do that. Thanks for sharing everything with us, it was enjoyable and a learning experience for many. Hope to see more post as you continue to improve the car.