Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Aussie Traditional Shows and Builds - Photo thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by p__moore, Jun 8, 2018.

1. fol

fol

Hamilton Rod Run, '75 hamilton 14-6-75, 2.jpeg hamilton 14-6-75.jpeg

2. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]
    Roger Hoare in the tech line for the 68 Nationals at Calder--my photo

[​IMG]
    Earlier Roger Hoare at Castlereagh with Les Fryer

[​IMG]
    Later ( ?69) Roger Hoare at Calder with different headers

Roo

ct1932ford, dwollam, Drewfus and 3 others like this.
  4. rooman

rooman

And to follow Charlie's lead here are some more of mine.
    Aussie drags262.jpg

Copy of img353.jpg

Copy of img358.jpg

Ellers roadster.jpg

img054.jpg

img128.jpg

Roo

ct1932ford, Dago 88, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  5. Roo.....the 1st bucket in your pics with the Pentastar on the door...its running a 318 Poly.....any idea who it is?...........and the 3rd pic with the red/pink Bucket is Dennis Walfords isn't it....didn't he have those 3 spoke mags also?........is pic #2 the Thompson Bros from Shepparton?........... ..great pics BTW......Andy Douglas

Outback likes this.
  6. swifty

swifty

Thanks for the pics fol, Dago and rooman. roo did you have a "thing" for T-buckets??

Bowtie Coupe and Dago 88 like this.
  7. rooman

rooman

The Mopar powered bucket is my old mate Tony Cooke who more recently had a hemi powered Dodge roadster pick up and now runs a hemi powered lakester at Lake Gairdner. All home built in his garage. Here is Cookie at the lake with crew guys Steve Baum (Stateside Trim) and Wayne Smith after getting into the 200 mph club.
    Tony Cooke lakester.jpg
    And here is the street rod. ( Had to steal these shots from the web)
    Tony Cooke pick up.jpg
    And yes, that is Walford's "T" with the Custom City 3 spoke rear wheels as seen here at Castlereagh.
    img415.jpg

And also yes to the Thompson brothers' Super Rat shot. Here is another view from the Nationals at Surfers in 1970, probably one of the last times the car was raced.
    img185.jpg

Roo

8. rooman

rooman

Nope! I just took a lot of photos. Check some of Larry O'Toole's hot rod history publications and you will see plenty of my photos from the 60's and 70's and T's are probably in the minority although I still think that yours is one of the best ever.

Roo

Dago 88 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  9. swifty

swifty

Thanks for that Roo. You must have got around as I gather you were based in S.A. but you've got pics from Vic, N.S.W. and Qld. It's great that you did take lots of pics as now 50 years later we are all enjoying your efforts and the efforts of all those who have posted on this thread.

61Cruiser and Dago 88 like this.
  10. rooman

rooman

Pete,
    I went to every drag racing Nationals (AHRF and then ANDRA) from 1968 to 1988 as well as to other random events at Calder, Surfers and Castlereagh and Heathcote as a racer, crew guy, official and journalist before I moved to the US and have done pretty much the same thing here.

Roo

61Cruiser likes this.
  11. Roo......thanks for the info.......btw didn't the 396 from the bucket end up in Thompsons Corolla later on?..........andyd

12. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

On page one in the shop/garage pics is that a '32 with a Packard grille? I would love to see more of that if it is. Thinking about travelling down under in November to visit a couple of good friends I met during a teacher exchange. They live in Geelong so is there much of a trad scene in the Geelong/Melbourne area? Thanks for the pics.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  13. hudson48

hudson48

And the car in the other lane looks like Dave Gardiners 34 tourer. I ran my 29 roadster down there in 1970.

And also yes to the Thompson brothers' Super Rat shot. Here is another view from the Nationals at Surfers in 1970, probably one of the last times the car was raced.
    View attachment 3949261

14. deadbeat

deadbeat

if its ok I would love to add some pics from Castlereagh, Bankstown and Roselands indoor shows. Only problem is that they are early 70's, cheers

Dago 88 likes this.
  15. Well my earliest show was I think the Burwood Westfields which I think was late 60's and 1st Castlereagh was I think 1969 but your early 70's works for me.........lol..............can't remember but was any Roselands show held inside the centre or were the Roselands shows always in their underground Car Park?..........I've got a pic somewhere taken either as we finished setting up or just before taking everything apart, pretty sure it was 1972 as I had just finished school in 1971, joined the Chariots Rod & Custom Club & didn't have a club jacket so I was at the rear, everyone else had a club jacket on.....lol..........I know that the Bankstown Shows were always inside...must go thru the pics .......lol.........so Deadbeat post away..............lol......andyd

deadbeat likes this.
  16. It was a Mitsubish Colt the first time I saw it at Calder I couldn,t believe they had stuffed a big block in it . From memory they got into strife because the wheel base was to short for its class ..

17. Captian........yep you are right....I knew it was one of those small imports......didn't it have rear flares from a Simca or something.......andyd.

18. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is no time limit on this thread "deadbeat", I think as long as the cars shown are pre 1965. I for one would love to see your Pic's. :)

19. Not sure if these 2 pics of my brothers 36 Chev Panel van will come thru, both were taken around 1974/early 75, it was an original Sinclair Oil delivery truck, before the SBC was installed it made the 75 Nats with a Tattersfield triple carb intake and headers on the stock 1936 stovebolt 6, 14x6 front wheels and those stock 36 Chev sedan rear wheels, rubber rake anyone?.....lol.........it was a slow but enjoyable trip...........will have to find the rest of the pics I took at the 73-79 Nats...andyd

Attached Files:

20. midroad

midroad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Andy, it had the flares off the front of a Skoda of all things.

21. deadbeat

deadbeat

Okie guys,, yeah will keep it pre 65 etc. @andydodge they were inside if I remember and Bankstown as well. I will get onto it over the weekend. Just not sure how I can do it as they are in photo albums etc Cheers

22. Early Roselands was definately in the underground carpark, maybe for the 1st couple of years, then inside Thursday night shopping was introduced and I think that changed the way the centres were available, I remember waiting patiently outside Bankstown Square for the cleaners to give the place a quick clean after it closed at 12 noon Saturday then around 1pm the doors reopened and all hell broke loose as cars had lined up and we had to push them along tight alleyways to our allocated spot....can't remember doing that at the Roselands centre although definately remember setting up in the car park underneath the centre........then there was the Yennora Woolstores and of course the underground carpark at Wollongongs Warrawong Shopping Centre..........just remembered that Burwood Westfields Shopping Centre had a show for a yr or 2 but can't remember whether it was inside or the car park..........pics...........gotta find some pics.........lol..............andyd

23. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Roselands was definitely in the underground car park, Bankstown Square was inside the centre. Do you remember the Jam Factory show in St Marys Andydodge ?

24. Dago, not specifically........roughly when was it held?......I worked for a few yrs at St Marys but that was in the 1980's to 1992.....I assume it was much earlier, I grew up in Rockdale and lived there and that area till 1981.......was the Jam Factory in St Marys or Dunheved ? who put that show on?...........andyd

25. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Thanks Keith and Charlie, those photos are bringing back a lot of great memories.
    My first altered was somewhat modelled off "The Vigilante" and deep down I think Roger had a bit to do with my A coupe affliction too.

Dago 88 likes this.
  26. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It would have been early 80's & it was closer to Colyton, Pat Faye was the promoter. I remember when you lived in St Marys, I think you had the red & silver '52? Chev custom.

27. Yeh, we owned the 51 Chev, red & silver with rolled pans front & rear, caddy tailights, originally built by my brother Bruce, around 1975/76 we bought it from him in the mid 80's when we lived at Springwood, used it as the family car, brought it with us when we moved to Grafton in 1992 and ended up selling it around the early 2000's to a guy in Brisbane........someone up there put the stock style front end back on it, made it into a 2 door, chopped the top and painted it flat black(yuck).......but last time I saw a pic of it for sale on ebay about 6-7 yrs ago it still had the only remains of Dennis Millets channelled blue 32 Sedan.....the two tunnelled 59 Caddy tailights are all thats left of Dennis' car..........andyd

28. rooman

rooman

Well I guess that someone does not like the shots of the Thompson Colt (or maybe it was Nev's Camaro) as the ones that I posted appear to have been deleted (twice)

Roo

29. Roo.....don't worry........some of us appreciate your efforts......andyd

30. BigO, dwollam, Deuces and 2 others like this.