Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Firestone radials.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodder1932, Jul 5, 2018.

1. hotrodder1932

hotrodder1932

I just mounted a pair of Firestone 155-70-15 radials for the front of my roadster on some new rebel 15 x4.5 wheels. I watched as the first tire was balanced and the tire was noticeably out of round. It took 4.5 ounces of weight to balance. I wasn't happy withe the out of round. We then checked the wheel and it was perfect. The next wheel and tire was also out of round and took 5.5 ounces. I called Speedway where I got the tires and was told that this much weight was well within their tolerances. I got the impression that the person I talked to really knew nothing about tolerances. I know bias ply tires usually need shaving but didn't think radials required it. Anyone out there have this problem?

2. I have a friend that's been in the tire business for decades. He tells me the only ones that are consistently round are Michelins. Apparently quality control isn't what it should be in the tire industry.

AHotRod and pat59 like this.
  3. That's a lot of lead.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I don’t think of myself as one of those keyboard cowboys who says, in these situations...”by gawd if I were you I’d tell those SOB’s what they can do with those tires”.......

But in this situation, with tires as small as those, that’s exactly how I would feel.

If the imbalance/out of round was proportional to tire size, just think how far out a 235/75-15 would be......maybe a pound...:eek:

Suggest you send them back for a refund and look for a local retailer to work with and tell him upfront what you expect and will accept. If he agrees to work with you, and you get what you need, it’s worth the extra few bucks in my opinion.

I don’t know who actually makes Firestone’s these days, or where they are made, but it is a brand I have no confidence in.....along with a few others.

In recent decades I have used, and been pleased with, Michelin, BFG, Yokohama and Kumho. Probably there are other brands that are well made, but I tend to stick with those that have served me well over the years.

Ray

5. squirrel

squirrel

I bought a few sets of the cheapest radials I could for some low buck projects over the past few years, like the Edsel and the Corvair, and the tires were made offshore, and took surprisingly little weight.

Firestone lost me a long time ago. and the repops don't seem to be any better.

6. Out of round and out of balance, although related, are two separate issues.

Did the tire tech put an indicator on the tire and get an out of round reading? .060? .125? .250?
    Did he mark the high spot, rotate it 180° on the rim and remeasure?
    Were the tires seated out evenly on the rim bead seat? That's what the GG ring on the sidewall will show when the tire is spun up on the balancer.
    That's what you need to know to further make your argument. Tag all the bases.

Don't know what Speedy's policy is on tire returns once mounted, but FST/BGSTN should have a 1-800 customer service line. I know we (GYR) did. Call them and present your FACTS.
    I've mounted and balanced thousands of tires in my 35 year career, and if the FACTS warrant it, the tire manufacturer's product services dept. can replace those tires, regardless of the dealer that sold them.
    Most servicing dealers don't want to go through the process. They didn't sell the tire and it's too time consuming.
    Keep at it until you talk to the right person, usually a district level product services manager, who can easily (for him) get it done.

Truck64 and Hnstray like this.
  7. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Find a shop in your area that deals with COKER tire. I did and had the same problem as you. The shop(Gio's Tire in Kannapolis NC) had COKER replace the tire and every thing is OK...………...

8. Made by Coker (Round as a brick)

9. wicarnut

wicarnut

I have set tires back to TireRack, no problem when I told them out of round, someone said, out of round (concentric to wheel) is a different problem than balance, correct statement. This is something I check now when buying tires and ask to see when they put on spin balance machine. Like so many things, quality control has gone down the crapper, along with customer service, courtesy, integrity, and the biggest item, Common Sense.

10. ...............................You can say that again!:(

wicarnut likes this.
  11. ....................................I lost all confidence in Firestone way back in the mid-70's when I bought a new Corvette equipped with the ill-fated Firestone 500 radials. At around 12,000 miles all four of them had belts shift and it was like riding on basketballs. Turned out there was a huge issue and the NHTS board told them to recall them and compensate owners. Sadly, the NHTS board succumbed to pressure from Firestone and/or tire industry lobbyists and issued a very narrowly dated production window for the recall. Of course my junk tires fell just outside that window. The Firestone dealers offered to pro-rate the tires and sell me another set of Firestones. Needless to say, I walked away and went to a Michelin dealer and bought 4 new (expensive for the time) tires. I've despised Firestone for 40 years.:mad:

RMR&C, wicarnut, 302GMC and 1 other person like this.
  12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Although I am definitely not in the tire business, I have long had my own commercial grade tire mounting and balancing equipment. I usually buy 3 to 4 sets a year plus a few singles/pair. Between my own 'fleet', and my immediate family, tires are a common issue. I buy the majority of tires through Tire Rack and have for many years. I have only had to ask to return/exchange a very few times, but they have accommodated me readily when I explain the problem.

The main reasons I do my own are convenience and control of details....like NOT using impact wrench on my lug nuts. The downside is, I have to dispose of the old tires. Fortunately, a salvage yard I do business with, both buying and selling, will accept my take offs...some of which have enough tread remaining that he can resell as used, the others will just be scrapped.

Ray

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    leon bee and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. hotrodder1932

hotrodder1932

I made the mistake of trying to save some money. I have had great luck with Michelin. But we're $100 more a tire. Speedway said no on the return. Once mounted I owned them.

14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That's just great as a policy..:rolleyes: .....it isn't until they are mounted and attempted to be balanced that problems such as you discovered become apparent.......I could better understand if the rule was, "once they have been run on the street we do not accept them for return"

At a restaurant......"Waiter...I think this bottle of wine has 'turned'...." "I'm sorry Sir, once the bottle is uncorked we cannot accept responsibility for it'......

Ray

F&J and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. ......................That's a ridiculous attitude for a company to take , especially with something as safety related as tires. Speedway doesn't manufacture these tires, but considering the sheer volume of tires that they probably sell, they should have a better working relationship with the supplier/ manufacturer. Someone needs to step up and stand behind their product.

Hnstray likes this.
  16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That policy should be clearly stated in any and all advertising mediums by the Seller.

"once you buy these tires, you own them, no returns, no exceptions for any reason."

Ray

17. hotrodder1932

hotrodder1932

Tires are for my rattle can roadster image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

18. hotrodder1932

hotrodder1932

I should have left good enuf alone

19. hotrodder1932

hotrodder1932

Red wires and black rattle can

Attached Files:

AHotRod, Bandit Billy, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  20. .................Excellent analogy with the wine, Ray.

21. squirrel

squirrel

not really. The tires work, they can be balanced, they just don't meet someone's quality expectations.

22. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

yes, really.....the wine can be consumed.......it just doesn't meet someone's quality expectations.

But all that misses the point of the analogy....that being the seller declines responsibility for the shortcomings of the product, even though the defects could only be discovered by attempting to use the product for it's intended purpose. In order to get satisfaction under the seller's policy, one would have to be clairvoyant and claim the defect before it became evident. "we only guarantee our product until you try to use it"

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  23. Vomiting up wine surely doesn't meet my quality expectations!!!:eek:

Hnstray likes this.
  24. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Perhaps I should have used 'flat beer' in the analogy........more relevant .......:D

lothiandon1940 and squirrel like this.
  25. squirrel

squirrel

I think it's even more subtle than that.

26. ..............................classic.:D

27. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Go ahead and see if you can find someone to "true "/shave the tire round.Be done with it, and it will ride good.

28. Firestones are made by Coker?

squirrel likes this.
  29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I recall seeing some vid on Coker mfg. Firestones in their East factory.
    Also, the old recessed wide white U.S. Royal MASTERS!

30. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^^^That's what I'd like to know, are these true Firestone tires or Cokers branded as Firestones?