Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical VistaCruiser Caddy!

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by oj, Jul 5, 2018.

1. oj

oj

A customer stopped into the shop to check progress on some work we were doing for him, I glanced out to see that he drove this:
    DSC00750.JPG DSC00751.JPG DSC00746.JPG
    It was built for John D. Rockefeller by Cadillac, that is a VistaCruiser roof taken right from the production line. Original, paint, heavy leather interior, drivetrain - it was sitting there running with the A/C 'On' and you couldn't hear the car run. You can just make out the Rockefeller Crest on the door.

MO54Frank, scotty t, john W. and 53 others like this.
  2. boltupal

boltupal
    from western ny

That is really cool !!!! How much are you asking for it?

Deuces, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  3. oj

oj

You're kidding, right?

4. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

5. oj

oj

I sat in it and the leather seats creaked like a saddle, original leather had to have been over 1/8th thick and been lovingly handrubbed regularly by the chauffer for decades. I've never experienced anything like that before.

6. Deuces

Deuces

Now that's a land yought.......
    Permission to come aboard Sir..... :cool::D:rolleyes:

7. How cool is that, oj! I guess John D. could pretty much afford most anything he desired. I thought at first that it might have been a flower car special ordered from the factory by some funeral home.

8. Wow, Is that cool or what?

9. That’s awsome
    Like a fat chick with a pretty face !

10. Love it. It's the Best of Both Worlds a wagon and a Cadillac.

11. jchav62

jchav62

That's awesome!!

kidcampbell71, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  12. In 1971 Evil Knievel came to the Shop driving a Cadillac El Camino, it blew me away. The next year He was driving his Caddy station wagon. There was no Chauffer driving for him either time. He was one Kool guy.
    The Wizzard

13. ..........I've often said that I must have been switched at birth. I was supposed to go to one of those wealthy families like the Rockefellers or the Vanderbilts or J. Paul Getty instead of those poor hard-working souls that I was given to.:D;)

Deuces, MP&C, chryslerfan55 and 9 others like this.
  14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I would think there is a very good chance that Cadillac subbed out this conversion to one of the commercial coach builders......Professional cars and Limos typically are bodied/rebodied that way, not in house. Over the decades, several Caddy wagons have showed up in enthusiast/collector magazines. Hess & Eisenhardt was one such converter...there were others.

Ray

16. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Imagine that at a car show. That's what interests me the most is the unusual, odd things.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  17. The Rockefeller connection has to make that a shooting brake rather than a station wagon.
    (Naw. Both labels are kind of same/same anyway so "Vistacruiser Caddy" is probably the best description after all.) ;)

18. Deuces

Deuces

Looks like it started off as a Sedan De Ville or a Fleetwood...

loudbang likes this.
  19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

There was a guy in our truck club years ago with a Vista Cruiser roof grafted onto his 64 Suburban, it looked like a duck out of water, kind of like the Caddy.

Deuces likes this.
  20. I loved the vistacruiser roofs on the custom vans back in the day. :)

21. .................That was the thing to do back then. Lots of things were going on inside those vans back then. There are people walking around today that were conceived in those vans.:D

slayer, J. A. Miller, i.rant and 4 others like this.
  22. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Saw a Vista Cruiser roof grafted to a Chevelle 2 dr. wagon at a car show in my home town not that long ago. Very nicely done. The craftsmanship was excellent, looked as if it was factory, IMO. Sorry, no photos.

23. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Awesome car, love those rare coach built and one-off Caddy wagons as much as those Caddy flower cars (El-Caminos). Is it a 9 seater?:D
    Reminiscent of the Scenicruiser built exclusively by GM for Greyhound from '54 to '56.
    upload_2018-7-6_8-4-39.png

john W., oldsjoe, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  24. oj

oj

A local found a pristine VistaCruiser, garage kept probably under 50K miles on it, the first 'improvement' he made was to put sidepipes on it. I shit you not.

25. Amazing wagon.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

26. Actually I found a write up or two about and started out as a Series 62 sedan. Also there wass no mention of any Rockefeller ownership rather it was "unknown".
    BTW, John D. Rockefeller died in 1937.

john W., Deuces and loudbang like this.
  27. greybeard360

greybeard360

Something else kind of odd... That is a 63 Caddy, Vista Cruiser didn't come out until 64. I think someone did a nice job grafting the top on.... But thinking some of the story doesn't add up.

It could have been built for John Rockerfeller III. He died in 1978 in a car accident.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    Deuces, Hnstray and loudbang like this.
  28. This one's in my town, been for sale for years. I like that caddy. VISTATBIRD.jpg

29. Way back in the 90's we built a Cadillac Vista Cruiser in the local GM factory. Looked very good. Story was special order for a owner of a lot of GM stock. It went by my work area quickly. We were running 55 an hour.

Deuces, loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  30. Deuces

Deuces

I could see a 428 in that with twin Holley 4-bbl carbs..... :cool:

Maybe even 3x2s......:)