Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Part of Bill Waddill's Hot Rod is Found in Switzerland!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Daughter of a Hot Rodder, Nov 10, 2014.

1. adam401

adam401

That is truly amazing. These cars have souls man

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Beautiful Job on the car and the gal lettering it did really fine work and her style of fonts and colors fit the car perfectly. Her work is First Class for being simplistic and done with style.

Jimbo

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. Nobey

Nobey

5. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

I hope not because probably the most recognizable feature is the cut out rear wheel wells, if it was raised back up they would have to replace the 1/4s then it would be really hard to identify....hopefully you find it!

6. I have hit another dead end. Mr. Linden who lives in Arizona does not own my Dad's '32 roadster. He has owned several, but none of them was the one I am looking for. His '32 three-window was just on the cover of Rodding USA, issue no. 30. Where has my Dad's (Bill Waddill) car gone? It has not been seen since the 1980s when it was seen at a car show in Holly, Michigan and was orange at the time.

7. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

This roadster came for MI and was running a snotty flathead . Don’t know its history but the exhaust goes thru the rear pan 36A977A7-4A97-47CC-991A-4677BF083354.jpeg

8. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

from the rear pic in the pdf there were teardrops then a rolled pan with exhaust ports but there were also pushbars and somesort of tube looking thing hanging below that... if you see evidence the rear wheelwells have been replaced you might be onto something...
    @Daughter of a Hot Rodder do have any info on why/when the body was separated from it's original frame? Did the new owner have any info on how the frame got to Germany? If it was shipped over recently then the body is likely here still if not maybe it's in Europe
    The '80's -'90's saw the tragic demise of many many "original" hot rods... what we now call "traditional" was completely out of style by then and people like Boyd and Troy were busy turning cars like your Dad's into a smooth red and brushed aluminum blob:mad: It may have survived the ravages of time (accidents, fire etc.) but be sitting totally indistinguishable in a swedish garage covered in fuchsia, teal, and yellow stripes, hi-boyd on a repro frame with new 1/4's :(...

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  9. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Rear shot of the car and weird dont have pictures of the car
    20161101_141720.jpg 20161101_141720.jpg

kidcampbell71 and BigO like this.
  10. Continental John, Is this your car? It does look similar, but the front axle is not dropped and filled. I am hoping that fact and a hand-built Shackley shock mount help identify the car. It was known for both details.
    Nailhead Av8, I do not know how or when the chassis became separated from the car. Frank who now owns the chassis bought it at a swap meet in Germany and numbers on the Michigan registration that came with it match with the registration that I have.

11. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

That is a possibility in the 80s- early 2000s old channeled Hotrods were cheap in comparison, with as hard as it was to get lot of virgin tin for us in the USA lot of Europe “settled “ for the cars that were cheaper and easier to grab

I would say if you know for sure that is your dads old frame ( not just the vin#) all the parts that went with it are disbursed also , highly improbable that an axle would be used on a new frame under the old body, sorry to say if a car was blown apart like that , it’s very likely turned back into a high boy.. and if that were done hiboy those quarters would have went back to stock along with the tail pan

12. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I should add also , German car has frame rails in back , unless they are welded back on they wouldn’t of been still intact on a channeled car

It may just be your dads vin# on a random frame for customs or to register in Germany

13. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I did check the wheel wells and no signs of modifications and no signs of nerf bars . I bet 40% of 1932s ford got a channel at some point. I just found a striking resemblance to your fathers. I wish your the best on finding the car

14. Rusty

Rusty

This roadster didn’t have a dropped axle under it originally, it was a stock Lincoln, had a Lincoln steering wheel and box, whoever built this 32 originally would know that it had a electric motor installed to raise the decklid up and down, my dad used to own it if you have any questions about it

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Rusty

Rusty

[​IMG]

Here’s that it looked like when pulled from the storage that it had been in

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Rusty

Rusty

Cyclone Kevin and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. Rusty

Rusty

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. MsPearl

MsPearl

Hi, my husband and I just bought what we thought to be R. (Doc) Gage’s 32 5 window. In one picture we have of the car, it is captioned “Bill Waddill’s 32 coupe”. That made us curious so we punched his name in the hamb and see that you are searching for some of your late father’s hot rods. I’m sharing some pictures here. What do you think?

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  19. Hi MsPearl! The caption is incorrect--it is not my Dad's '32 5-window. The pictures you are showing are Doc Gage's car! The one at the upper right is the car at the 1953 Detroit Autorama. I thought that Matt Leskey had the grille from this car and was building a hot rod around it. See Matt on the HAMB site! The photograph at the lower left is at my Dad's speed shop on Fenton Road in Flint back in the day. My Dad and Doc Gage were great friends. We were just at the Detroit Autorama Friday and were talking to Carl Casper. He mentioned Doc Gage! When you get my book, you will see more about Doc and my Dad! Are you local?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  20. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Do take note! All these guys that say 4 bars were a 70’s trend. This Very Traditional Styled channeled Roadster wear a very nice set, I bet inspired by early sprint - champ cars of the era, similar to what Jake did. Bill’s Hot Rod was pretty Bitchin!!! Not to mention that sweet lil black one posted all through it’s find-run stages....what a sweetheart!!!!!

rpm56 and chryslerfan55 like this.