Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods what a change of wheels and caps can do for a car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clubcoupe37, Jul 3, 2018.

1. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

I have been a H.A.M.B member for many many yrs..I haven't been on to the site in a while and thought I would check it out again. I have a '37 ford club coupe and ran wide whites(coker classics) for yrs and I got to the point I needed a change. I ran into a fellow yrs ago with '37 caps modified to fit 15 inch wheels...and just so happened he was selling his car without the caps last yr(at the shades of the past,pigeon forge) and I bought the caps and wheels from him...It changes the look of the car, and it is definitely growing on me.

Attached Files:

Tim, Hnstray, PONTNAK123 and 5 others like this.
  2. Wraith

Wraith
    from DFW

Looks good!

3. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Looks nice with both styles, I personally lean to the wide whites......but it's not my car! Enjoy.

clem likes this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK being that my old fart brain is doing the old fart brain thing. which is before and which is after.

5. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

I ran whites for yrs and I changed to black walls with original caps and rings

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Nice change - keep the old set up in case you change your mind again

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's what I thought but wasn't totally sure.

8. dan31

dan31

Looks good,nice to have more than one set of wheels/tires to change things up every now and then.

9. tinsled

tinsled

Very good looking rims, hubcaps and chrome rings - Stylish!
    I like the looks of the car with the black wall tires, goes well with this body style and black car.

However, when I read the subject line, it made me think the current main stream fashion with ridiculous big size bling bling rims and low profile tires - I thought to myself; what pitiful change the tasteless wheels do more often make to an old car... Luckily it's not the case with your car - quite the opposite.

Hnstray and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. chargin03

chargin03

11. Gman0046

Gman0046

Amazing how good lots of cars look with just lowering and adding decent wheels and tires. This is my completely stock bodied 64 Biscayne. IMG_0812.JPG

lothiandon1940 and i.rant like this.
  12. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Looks great! It would be interesting to see how the caps/wheels were modified.

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Thanks for posting! For two reasons......first, because I like your car and the new wheels you have installed.

Second reason, it was a Eureka! moment for me. I am doing a project on my ‘38 Buick that requires a very specific combo of rim width and backspacing to fit well and maintain geometry. But, the only wheels I have found are GM rally style and I do not want the rally wheel look nor a full wheel cover. Have been brainstorming how to deal with that. Using the wheel cover from a wide five Ford (modified with a Buick center cap) would solve that problem very neatly. May end up having to fabricate something from scratch, but the idea is what matters.

Your ‘37 Club Coupe is a long admired favorite Ford body style.

Ray

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. Squablow

Squablow

The caps look nice. The modern lettering on the tires is a little distracting, but you can sand the sidewalls smooth with an 80 grit DA pad if you take your time. Smooth, blank sidewalls would really compliment that car.

lothiandon1940, dan31 and Hnstray like this.
  15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Wheels and tires totally make or break a car. Dig the new shoes!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Clubcoupre37.
    The new wheel/cap combo looks great. Only one comment I have is to lose the pin stripe on the red part of the wheel. I think it distracts from the caps/trim/wheels.

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

way better with blackwalls. whitewalls show up on way too many cars these days

18. They both look good but just make different, valid statements.
    The whitewalls say "I'm dressed to go downtown so eat your heart out".
    The blackwalls say "I'm a serious player and I'm not here for any nonsense".
    :cool:

Hnstray, Gman0046 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

on the backside, there are '60 galaxie dog dish caps attached from the backside. its pretty cool how they fit..they fit too good...I have a tool i have to use to pry them off of the rim...its a cool look though.

Attached Files:

Hnstray likes this.
  20. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

I was thinking the same thing. my plan when I got these caps was to paint the caps to match the wheels(a cream tan color) to also match my striping and the interior..the red wheels are actually a maroon color..but in pictures they look red.