Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The Newbs 39 Mercury Saga Continues....

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Krieger215, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Krieger215

Krieger215

After taking the merc to the local dmv, and waiting several hours, only to have the inspection official fail the inspection twice because he couldn't see the vin#, I regrouped. I made sure the vin number was visible, checked and double checked all the other items I knew would come up, and paid the money for an officer to come to my home today for the third attempt. Vin number, check. wipers, check, headlights, taillights, horn, check. I was starting to think I was home free! I was imagining an early morning fathers day cruise and then. it happened.
    "Touch the brake" said the officer, and I did, and nothing. The officer failed me, and disappeared.
    "Call us back when this is fixed and we will try again he shouted on his way down the driveway". When he left, I am sure I looked like Clark Griswold struggling with his schematic. "I checked everything"...

I need some advice from the old ford, Lincoln, mercury crew here.

If the car is just sitting, either with the engine running, or not. The brake lights illuminate when the pedal is touched.
    If I flip the switch and turn the taillights on and touch the brake, there is no visible difference in the brightness of the tail light. This is of course a 6 volt system, with no updates.
    My question to you guys and gals is, should there be a visible difference? and if there should, where do I begin?

My thanks to you for your continued patience with me during this process. I'm eager to learn, and appreciate any help.

Surfcityrocker and czuch like this.
  2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Taillight bulb, if correct, should have 2 contacts on back of bulb...I've seen a single contact bulb installed, (someone didn't know the difference or was hard pressed for a working taillight) in which case either light switch or stop light switched wire would light the single filament!
    Remove the bulb, and check it. Might also have a helper step on the brake pedal to see if you are getting power out of both connectors (inside housing)
    Now...What is the number of that 2 filament 6 volt bulb?.... Used to know.

czuch likes this.
  3. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I once used the brake light switch from a Yamaha 250 on my '46 Dodge WC.
    The bike would never see the street again, but the truck would.
    It was a pull to contact affair.

4. Krieger215

Krieger215

Ok fellas, accessed the bezel, and got the lens out. Wiring is old and gnarly. I bought new bulbs from bob drake. Do the bulbs pull out or do they screw? Do the leads need to come off to loosen the bulb up? Thanks in advance for any help.

Attached Files:

5. Push the bulb inward, and turn to your left.
    Bulb #1154

6. Krieger215

Krieger215

Got the old light bulb out but there is apparently an issue with the assembly that holds the bulb. Once I get the new bulb in, I can not turn it to seat it properly. I am thinking I need to take the whole assembly off, but that screw has seen better days. Do you guys and gals know if anyone makes repro versions of the inside? Or can you share what yours looks like? Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

7. Budget36

Budget36

The dual filiment bulbs will only go in one way...this is done so tails don’t run off brakes and viceversa

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Krieger215

Krieger215

Thanks. There are two small dots on each side of the the bulb. I am assuming that they should be guided into the channels in the light assembly. As I understand it, the bulb is to be pushed inward and turned clockwise a quarter turn to seat the bulb. I am having trouble getting it to turn.

9. I think the pins are staggered on the bulb. Shoot some penetrant in there, make sure the bulb is in the right way, work the bulb in and out to make sure the contact plate moves up and down. Also yes there’s little difference in an old 6v system.....you have to look real close to see brake lights.

10. Budget36

Budget36

Look at the little tangs? on the bulb, your socket should be the same if it's for the dual element 1154,now...look closely at the bulb you pulled, are the tags/pins offset like the one below?

https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...ahUKEwjrucfpsoTcAhU1O30KHY_HC44Qwg8ILQ&adurl=

[​IMG]

Edit: Follow the link, my pic didn't post correctly

11. 46Chief

46Chief

Just replace the sockets and splice in new wires. Any crappy auto parts store sells the sockets.

12. whats a dmv inspection?

I live in bama

13. 59Tele

59Tele

Okay, since nobody else has asked....

How many hot rodders does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Four. One to change the bulb and three to tell you how they could have done it better.

14. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

When ever I hear DMV, I think West Coast, Primarily California

anthony myrick and Krieger215 like this.
  15. Krieger215

Krieger215

In the state of Kentucky, there’s a law that requires any vehicle purchased from another state to be “inspected” by a sheriff before it’s allowed to be titled or licensed. I’m not sure why this is required but I think it’s just a way to make more money and make people jump through hoops. This car of mine came from 35 minutes away in the state of Indiana. The first two inspections resulted in failure because the sheriff couldn’t read the vin # on the frame rail and the third failure happened because the brake lights didn’t get brighter when the taillights are engaged. The car has been sitting in my garage for two months begging to be driven. The street rod nats are here in a month and I really hope to have this figured out by then so I can take it to have NSRA safety inspection

16. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

maybe next time pull one of the lenses so he can see both filaments light up? ....when you get your socket cleaned out spring moving up and down etc.and bulb sliding in/out, good grounds etc. splice an extra wire each side with a plug in the end then for your safety (and the car's) purchase one those detachable trailer light systems mount em up high and visible then unplug /remove at the show.....today's drivers are so distracted by ADD and a cell phone halfway up their ass you'd better give them all the warning you can!
    after seeing a few old cars get rear ended because people don't even know where to look on an old car for brake lights I put 2 "3rd eye" lights up in my back window because I want to take my daughter out in it...sometimes you have to choose safety over fashion

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  17. 59Tele

59Tele

How many country and western singers does it take to change a lightbulb?

Five. One to change the bulb and four to sing about how much they're gonna miss the old one.