Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot, hot, hot

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by louisb, Jun 30, 2018.

1. RMONTY

RMONTY

I just open the garage door and turn a fan on. Just like I would do if I didnt have A/C. I get the painting done, and close it back up. I am not a total pussy. I just cant take the heat for hours at a time and it be enjoyable.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

"Feels like" is pretty annoying. It must be illegal to simply report the temperature all by itself.

Another thing they like to do though is talk about how "It's beautiful out there" on the news. Maybe it is walking from their air conditioned studio to their air conditioned car. Anyone working outdoors knows better, anything into the 70s with any kind of humidity gets awful real quick. Some people are running a 160° thermostat I think. I'll be mowing the lawn in shorts and a tee and see people out walking with a coat and hat on.

3. All winter I cursed the snow so I am enjoying the hot weather. So was this visitor at our pond yesterday.:eek:
    I, on the other hand went to The Rumblers Car Show:cool:

Wet Bear4.JPG Wet Bear6.JPG Wet Bear7.JPG Wet Bear1.JPG

4. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I've never liked heat. I can work in it but I certainly don't like to. If it never got over 50 degrees it wouldn't bother me at all. I can go out in the winter and work up a sweat walking behind my snowblower.

I remember working on a farm on 98 degree days stacking hay bales in the barn and that 98 degrees felt cool when we got out of the barn.

Watching NASCAR racing yesterday and the digital thermometers the television crews put in the cars could register temperatures up to 158 degrees and were going off scale just reading Hi. Today they are showing 150 degrees. That's a medium well steak.

afgjr and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I remember wearing a five layer -20 suit, boots, gloves ect... in over a hundred degree heat in a dragster. And praying the staging lanes would hurry up and move.!!!! :eek: Believe it or not at the other end once past a certain speed you could feel the air going through that suit. Ahhhhhhhh. :D

6. At bowling green this year I never saw so many people get hauled off to the hospital. It seemed like the rescue was busy all day. One racer passed out cold after a pass. He crashed his nova into the drainage ditch in the pits. It could have been much worse if he would have gone through the crowd.

7. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

Don't forget, 100 degrees is hot, but underneath a car could be 200 easily. Passed out at work once on a hot day.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heat can be a killer!! Was a lineman for many years in the Valley where it would get to 110. Worked in Bakersfield as a lineman for a good while-would be 90 at 7 when we went to work and get up to 115!! Spent hours atop a pole in this weather-there were no bucket trucks. We always had lots of water up the pole with us in canteens. Saw a few guys pass out and get taken to the hospital too-one at poletop-had to get him down quickly. Heat is nothing to fool with. Glad I don't have to do that any more-couldn't take it.

9. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

Me too.

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Son in Law and I painted his house today with a friend of his. Friend is 34 and quit at 3:00,couldn't take it, I'm 67 and stayed till it was done, had dinner, and I'm on the HAMB now. Sure beats snow. Bob

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  11. Deuces

Deuces

It's gonna be another steamer today...... :(
    The power went out 5 er 6 times already this morning...... :(:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  12. louisb

louisb

Well, my back went out yesterday. So I will laying on couch again today cuddled up to the heating pad. I would rather be out in the garage. Guess that is what I get for complaining about the heat.

—louis

13. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Check out what the heat did to a HWY near my house yesterday.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55, Deuces and rjones35 like this.
  14. topher5150

topher5150

We had a nice little thunderstorm roll through last night. Woke up this morning and it was 69* out.

15. louisb

louisb

I like this one better:

C02011A2-7CDC-4CE2-9F6D-0089A4148C3E.jpeg

16. Terrible80

Terrible80

Yeah, I never used to see people wearing stocking caps and jackets in 100* weather. What gives?

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I had some folks over yesterday to pull and haul on old car parts, drink beers, and grill food. We all survived by doing ONE THING, then retreating to the shade to cool off and hydrate until we felt good to go again. It worked out pretty well and between the 5 of us we still managed to get done what would have taken me a few weeks to do by myself.

18. topher5150

topher5150

The wife and i went grocery shopping the other day, and it was in the mid 90's easily, and there was this teenageish girl outside cleaning the windows with a fleece coat on. I spent some of the day out side trying not to die from heat stroke only wearing gym shorts and flip flops

19. Deuces

Deuces

On days like this, I like to wrap a water soaked towel around my neck...... ;)
    Anything to try and stay cool.... :cool:

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I saw two people on bicycles Saturday wearing jackets it was in the 80's. they were from somewhere else. maybe they have rules where you can't take your jacket off once you leave the house. either that or they are just plain stupid.

21. Deuces

Deuces

Gang bangers????? :rolleyes:

22. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

We just go out to the pool :)

23. When I was growing up we'd head down to the creek, dam it up and made our own swimming/wading hole...trees covered that part up so it was a ready made shady place to cool down. Later after we moved into town, it was run thru the sprinklers, float or swim in the nearby river, or head to the highschool pool which was open to the public in the summertime. Good stuff. See ya later this month when I come through from Oregon. Looking forward to my stay with you folks!!!

chryslerfan55 and Petejoe like this.
  24. Deuces

Deuces

I could take a ride up to Higgins Lake for a swim, but it's too far for a drive..... That's a beautiful lake..... :)

25. louisb

louisb

In the area where I grew up we have lots of fresh water springs which stay 55 degs year round. We would swim in those all day. When you got to cold you could lay in the grass and warm up, at least until the horse flies started biting. Then it was back in the water. Course you had to keep an eye out for gators that lived there too.

--louis

26. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! I had to keep an eye out for hammer heads and great whites when I lived "down under" during the '60s.....:confused:
    Got stung by a bunch of "blue bottles" back in '67.... The pain when away after a couple of weeks.... :(

27. rjones35

rjones35

Back a few years....I use to ride bicycles alot. I'd go on these 100+ mile rides in this heat. Start early, which I hated getting up that early, but it was nice to get some miles before it got soooo hot. I would set my watch alarm to remind me to drink every 5-6 minutes, otherwise I would forget until it was too late. Once you get behind, it takes a while to get caught back up. Also took an electrolyte supplement. Anymore, if it's upper 90's, humid, I stay in the AC.

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  28. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Looking forward to it.

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  29. Lake Huron at City Beach in Cheboygan MI- down by the lake it was almost 15 degrees cooler and a breeze- 100_2268.JPG

Attached Files: