Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who Has Tractors

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by crashfarmer, May 14, 2018.

1. lahti35

lahti35

Yes, we still do! We have photos of the original owners of the farm from the 30's-40's using a Farmall F14 so we're close to what was original. Up until last year I used a drag type disc my neighbor had to finish it off after plowing to get that nice smooth surface. His disc died though so I figured it was a good time to pick up a hydraulic disc and add a period hydro pump to the F20... no more backing up to disengage the disc! I love the sound of the old F-20 under load out there chugging away...

2. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I have one of those old wheel-less discs that my Dad used when he first started farming years ago. :) I've never used it.

I used our 1944 H Farmall with the Stanhoist loader and a John Deere snow bucket to dig the old Snapper Comet out of the weeds yesterday. I'm planning on repowering it. The engine on it is locked up. Tractors sure make tasks like this easier.

VANDENPLAS and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  3. TimCT

TimCT

Love the new forum and all the old tractor pics. Wish I had one in this vintage - the closest I can get is my '68 Deere 140 H3, which I believe is OT. However, my uncle recently picked up a Ford 641 Workmaster with a Lord bucket that I need to stop by to see and drool over.

crashfarmer likes this.
  4. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

This is slightly off topic, but I suspect a few of the same doddering old fools who enjoy rusty tractors will also enjoy this writer. Roger Welsch writes books about antique tractors, and small-town Nebraska life, with huge doses of country-boy humor thrown in. He does a great job coming across as a redneck, despite the fact he holds a Ph.D and a tenured faculty position as an English professor at the U. of Nebraska. (judging by the photos on the covers of his books, he LOOKS the part of a redneck too!)

I can vouch for his redneck country-boy bona fides, though. One day, I was reading one of his books, as he told a howlingly good yarn about mixing it up with a skunk as a child, egged on by his cousin Dick, after which his uncle Fred and aunt Mary made him take off his skunky clothes and throw them straight onto the burn pile. He mentioned in his book that he was visiting his Aunt, uncle and cousin at their ranch near Yoder, Wyoming.

The day I was reading the book, I happened to be at my family's ranch near Yoder, Wyoming. When I heard the names Fred, Mary and Dick, I immediately knew that the guy was telling a true story. You see, I knew Fred, Mary and Dick all too well: they were our closest neighbors, and our families have lived next to each other on those ranches for five generations. Dick, who is now my father's best friend, is still living at the same house where the whole escapade with the skunk took place, all those years ago. I know that he was telling a true story, because skunks still lived under that same building fifty years later when I used to play there with Dick's grandson. :eek:

I've read most of his books, and they are all entertaining.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    tractorguy and crashfarmer like this.
  5. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

Boy, those pictures bring back childhood memories for me. I wasn't much older than that when I started driving a similar tractor all summer long, raking hay, the first real work I ever did in my life. I spent LOTS of hours in the seat of that tractor before I graduated to the swather.

crashfarmer likes this.
  6. 32Dan

32Dan
    from Chino, CA

I’ve got a 1941 Ford 9N. Converted to 12v, runs like a clock

flatheadpete, NoSurf and crashfarmer like this.
  7. ...here's my 50 AC WD,...use it mostly to plow snow but not needed much the last few years,...use it to move old cars around like a tow truck, lift cabs, engines and such.
    AC 2-24-10 002.jpg

8. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I found this picture on a Facebook Group that I belong to this morning. 1920 parade in Leon, Iowa with what looks like a Fordson pulling a couple of floats. I was surprised by the lack of any rubber on the cleated steel tractor wheels travelling on a brick street. 1920fParadeTractor.jpg

9. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

My Brother parked the Ferguson tractor in the right spot. But I'm upset about the windmill that has stood on our family farm since long before my Grandpa bought the place in 1942 has been pretty well demolished by the severe thunderstorm and tornado that hit the place. My Dad used to tell me how the bombers in WWII used to make training runs over our farm and he said it always looked like they were targeting the the windmill. It makes me sad to see the proud Aermotor Windmill that always stood watch over our farm bent in two like that. I wonder if it can be repaired? The Ferguson tractor was the right spot however, trees fell in front and behind it but didn't touch it or the bush hog 3 point mower. You can see the tractor in the video.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Outstanding thread.Thanks for posting.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

crashfarmer likes this.
  11. Wrench666

Wrench666

63 Fordson Super Major diesel [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I’ve started redoing the hydraulics and will be working on forks and a plow set up for it. My dad had it for 10yrs and I got it this summer. Need to find implements now

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. Wrench666

Wrench666

Working on getting a running Ford 9N and 3 Case VA tractors to make one running machine

crashfarmer likes this.
  13. Here’s my ‘58 cockshutt 570 diesel, plows snow, moves bales and whatever else is asked of it.[​IMG]

14. NoSurf

NoSurf

crashfarmer likes this.
  15. My oldest son just got a Case SC gave to him. Engine is locked up and will need three new tires. Currently he has the cylinders soaking prior to attempting to break it free. When I get a chance I will get some pictures of it. The one attached is not it but it is a Case SC that his will look like someday. Case SC Tractor.jpg

16. HiHelix

HiHelix

Attached Files:

55Deso and crashfarmer like this.
  17. My '50 "A" and '47 wife
    [​IMG]

18. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

A Fordson Major!!! :) The very first tractor I "drove" was my Grandpa's Fordson Major Diesel. I remember sitting on Grandpa's lap "driving" the Fordson through the grove at the home place where my Mom lives now. Grandpa died when I was 3 1/2 from colon cancer so I was really young and it's a treasured memory. When Grandpa died Dad inherited the tractor. He later traded it for a 60 John Deere with a 45 John Deere loader when I was still a little tyke which upset me greatly. The guy that bought the Fordson lived about 45 miles SW of us. I was driving through there with a truck on my job about 23 years ago and I did spot a Fordson in a field. I wonder if it was our old tractor? My Brother and I both have talked about driving down there some day to try to find it and see if we could buy it back.

It's great to see yours, brings back a lot of memories. :)

Wrench666 likes this.
  19. Two here, '58-'59 Ford 641 Workmaster 4cyl gas with 4spd transmission and '68-'69 Ford 3000 3cyl diesel with 8spd forward 2 reverse transmission.

crashfarmer likes this.
  20. Wrench666

Wrench666

That’s awesome my grandson had his first ride in my super major a few months ago. He loved it. Got to start making memories he can cherish like you do.

NoSurf and crashfarmer like this.
  21. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

My Grandson has tractor driving experience behind the wheel of our H Farmall. :) Three generations on one tractor.
    [​IMG]

Wrench666 likes this.
  22. May be a little OT but it is a flat head. What type of sealant would you use on a International Cub Low Boy 154 head bolts? It blew the head gasket between the #1 and 2 cylinders letting coolant into the cylinders. New head gasket is only $22 so with the time in repairing I don't want the head bolts seeping or leaking. Thanks.

23. tractorguy

tractorguy

For about 60 of the 72 yrs. I have been building stuff....small engines....cars.....trucks....tractors....I always use Permatex
    Form-A-Gasket (I think the correct name......sorry my can is out in the shed). Liquid brown stuff in white plastic container with brush in container lid. Simply dip headbolt threads down into can, let excess run off and install.

Have fun

24. Personally I would use the white pipe dope. I believe ARP sells some in a tube for use with their bolts. We use it at work get a small drop on your finger and wipe it around the threads and thread it in. Doesn't dry out and it doesn't have any change in feel of the bolt so no false torque readings.

25. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

CrashFarmer, the windmill towers are in sections. Find another tower and use it for parts or replace your bent tower. You are lucky the fan ,tail and head all look undamaged. While you have the head off check it over and replace any worn parts so it will stand over your Family's Farm for many more years. Google search Airmotor you will find there are a lot of parts out there . There are some serious windmill collectors out there. Dad and I rebuilt a Dempster a couple years ago and set it back up at another pasture .

NoSurf and crashfarmer like this.
  26. Here is the block. One head bolt broke off and still needs to come out. Cub Cadet.jpg Cute tiny little flat head 4 cylinder. Thanks for the replies so far. Of the white pipe dope or Permatex does either one leak?

27. tractorguy

tractorguy

In over 60 yrs, I have not had an issue where I could say the Permatex leaked around head bolt threads.

28. OK then Permatex it is. Thank you Sir.

29. 49clubcoupe

49clubcoupe
    from idaho

My latest is a 1951 John Deere A. I found it on parked behind a hill. Luckily it was complete.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

crashfarmer likes this.
  30. Between my Dad and I, we have all of the Farmall Letter Series. Tractors are incredibly useful when it comes to moving cars around!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

crashfarmer likes this.