Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Your stash of unfinished, or future projects, Lets see em !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Jun 30, 2018.

1. I've got more than the photo data cap will allow.

2. 8C42BDF9-60A4-44A6-BDD8-257BD985CDAF.jpeg 2B57F92E-9B9A-4193-8FCD-76900F17B11D.jpeg 457DFD3C-A35C-4B9C-8FBA-782E6B44AC4C.jpeg 85B4712C-2DC1-4469-B1D3-CDC226D682DD.jpeg Here’s my dead collection
    There is one more, but it’s running so I won’t include it! Lol

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Good to have you back Harms Way, I missed you! I guess I have four projects, but not all the pieces, the '22 T Bobtail racer, '29 Ford Steelback, '30 Ford Roadster ( found the body 56 years ago) and '39 Ford pickup. I'm also making payments on a Brass era car I've wanted for well over 40 years. Dad's '31 Ford Roadster last saw the street in 1983 and the '12 T hasn't had plates in about 20. I've never been turned away from a show or swap meet for lack of a running car, so what is the point of finishing one? If you look at a finished car in a garage, or on the show field is it any better if it is running and legally registered? Having the cars and the memories of the people you meet and got parts from are what makes having them so special. Finishing one and having the wiring burn it to the ground is something I have no desire of seeing. Bob

4. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

my 53 Coupe Deville = very close and my 34 Ford P.U. not started on yet
    IMG_0840.JPG IMG_0552.JPG

dana barlow, hershambob, bct and 17 others like this.
  5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

When I lost my youngest son in a wreck 10 years ago, I looked around and took inventory of the junk I had collected. Losing him drove home the fact that life isn't forever, and if I wanted to do anything other than own a bunch of junk, I needed to get rid of most of it. I did, selling and trading away a lot of things I wanted to do something with, but knew I'd probably never get around to them. After I got my car finished, a car like I would have built in high school if I would have had the money and skills, I sold or gave away parts that I had saved up for later. My wife kinda backed into the hobby with a Fox body Mustang, then a couple of C4 Vettes, and now a Firebird Formula. I traded my car for something I had always wanted, but was always a day late or a dollar or two short, a pre 48 car. While my 47 lincoln Zephyr Coupe isn't exactly a mainstream car, it still has that style of the 40's and I love it. Her F' Bird needs a few small things, but it's mostly a good driver, while mine is undergoing a transformation into "MY" car, not what somebody else built. I enjoyed my hot rod Maverick, but my heart was always in something pre 48. I got to drive the Linc a couple of years after I got it, so I knew what direction I wanted it to go, and slowly it's getting there. Just need some cooler weather, several more $$$$, and some free time to work on it.....

6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to have projects stashed everywhere. Finally realized that I would never get to them all. Sold off most-kept wife's 55 (had 41 yrs) and my 40. Since then I always have one in the works (currently a 40 std coupe) and when it's near completion (2-3 months) then I will look for another one. At 75 I don't need a bunch of stored half done projects around. Now when I start one I know I have all of the funds up front to take it to completion which wasn't the case for many many years. Still have a sizable stash of 40 parts though. Will always have a couple around to drive.

7. F&J

F&J

I will tell you what the point is...I must assume you never had a rod as a dependable daily driver? You have NO clue what you are missing out on, at one year older than I am.

Here is a fresh pic from tonight...I was the only car allowed to park at this store waiting for the Fireworks! ...because I know a shit ton of people, now that I get out of my old cluttered shop each and every day with the 32.
    DSCN0769.JPG

A lot of people stopped to talk to me...some wanted to take pics..I always say "the keys are in it, take it for a spin" LOL. I saw the single parent with two little sons, he wanted to just look at the car, and as I got near, he was showing them the engine and telling his boys about how the gas gets into the engine..pointing at the carbs.. I said "if you have a cell, take pics of your kids in the car".. Those two fought to get in, and the littlest determined one got in first, behind the wheel, and was steering!!! They had fun.
    DSCN0761.JPG DSCN0762.JPG
    The oldest boy was asking if I had a hood, but he did not know the word..he called it a cover. Then I said I like the engine to be seen because it is a hotrod...he then said "find a clear cover"!!! (That was because I told him the headers get hot and somebody might touch them..)

I also took a few pics of different single females posed with the car, with their cellphones...then said "Show this pic, and tell your boyfriend or husband you met "some guy" and then went out for a date...LOL...

DSCN0790.JPG
    I had another great time with the car, and yet another beautiful summer night ride back home...in a HOTROD!

and there is no reason to think that hotrods burn up from wiring..stop using that as an excuse, PLEASE!! ..I don't carry an extinguisher or tools or a spare.. I don't even worry about texters crashing into me anymore, like I once did with my other drivers.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  8. X-cpe

X-cpe

I've got three. An MGB that was going to be my 41 year old daughter's first car. She paid $700 for it. I put $2700 in the S10 Blazer she wound up with. I get my money back when I finish it and sell it. LOL
    There is a 57 Chevy PU from '86 that I'v wanted since HS. X Navy truck w/47K on it. Now sub framed (before the HAMB), 454/TH400/3.55 posi 9", 4 whl. disc brakes. Amazing what can be stored in, on, around and under it. I've had the coupster since '80. Drove it for 4 yrs. in the early '90s then took it apart to make a few changes/improvements. Then the while you're at its bit me in the ass. Between that, honey do's, my tortoise like pace and redoing older work I now consider sub standard its going to take a while. Non of them are going any where because they are my therapy toys.

Stogy likes this.
  9. 28rpu

28rpu

I have a couple of project cars in inventory plus an older build I'm going to change the personality of. My theory has always been 1 car at a time. Time spread between too many means none will get done. When I'm ready to start another project it will be my focus.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. What we’ve got here is, the 1949 Lincoln EL coupe I bought back in ‘03. The idea was to build an old school style custom ( as you see, it ain’t happening) . That said, I plan on selling it and using the money towards my F-100. IMG_0063.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Sorry for your loss.. build and drive in his memory

12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

scotty t and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. Is that a 1931 Chrysler CM6 coupe?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

I'll stay on the 34 till it's done. Then decide about these others. 20140923_061455.jpeg 20150208_173415.jpeg 20150208_172617.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

biggeorge, 1947knuck, enloe and 4 others like this.
  15. 28rp

28rp

I have these " in stock" waiting for me to finish my 48 Mordor and a motor rebuild on the 28RP.........

Attached Files:

16. I have a lot of projects, in fact I love projects because they will be my creations if I ever do get them done. I like them so much I brought them all with me when I moved to Prescott and built my hose and shop to accommodate them all. I would like to finish them all but I probably won't, but what matters is the dreams I have for each one. I don't feel driven to the point of insanity to kill myself doing it either. I enjoy life wherever it takes me and I work on them for fun when it suits me. I know that if I don't, someone else will be happy to continue on with them with their dream. I can't buy and enjoy someone else's finished car because it really wouldn't be my dream and I'd probably have to take it apart and make it my project anyway. Either way, all my cars are with me every day right under my house or out in my shop and they make me happy even if they don't run. So every time I walk by them I can still see my dream. Since I'm out of room I have stopped myself from buying more but the urge is still there. Old Fords are my crack pipe and I know I have a problem!

I am currently back to work on my Fordor trying to get fenders to fit and painted, finishing the wiring and air conditioning install along with a few other things. I have my '56 Chevy Handyman wagon waiting for installing the air conditioning and a new engine and transmission upgrade. I've already installed all new glass, seals and a aftermarket wiper system. I hope to have them both done by the end of this year. Then its onto finishing my flathead powered Brookville roadster project for next year. After that there is getting the flathead powered '32 5W coupe on the road again with some satin paint and interior. And then there is the '32 5W with SBC 355/Muncie 4 speed that's apart for paint waiting to be painted and put back together since it was a running car when I took it apart for patch panels and metal work. Its almost paint ready now. Then there's the '32 Vicky I bought last summer that needs metal work and a complete build on a rolling So Cal frame I picked up last fall. I'd love to get my '32 Cabriolet built too along with a complete redo of my '32 3W and a upgrade of my stock '34 3W with a dropped axle and juice brakes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. What about the Sierra Gold '57 Nomad?

18. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, you guys are crazy, and I always thought I had a problem... I got to show this thread to my girl, this makes me look sane, hahahahaha
    My 34 Ford is 90% done, the wiring is good, it still needs interior and a roof insert, garnish moldings need being fitted and the Y Block spits oil out of the crankcase vent housing. I´ll fab up a pcv to take care of that.
    Then my lovely lady bought a 52 suburban that had more bondo than steel in it. Plus she is down on funds so I have to fix what we have, she just can´t afford to buy all new sheetmetal from the US. I started working on the ´burban while the 34 was at my friends being painted...
    Next in line will be the 53 Chevy Gasser project I bought here on the HAMB a couple of years ago... No rust and pretty straight, that´s a good thing.... I am really looking forward to this one.... IMG_1358.JPG IMG_1361.JPG kroatien 2015 160.jpg mixed 035.jpg IMG_1879.JPG

Stock Racer, 1947knuck, enloe and 7 others like this.
  19. spanners

spanners

I went in a different direction. I sold my classic Holdens and the 75% finished '39 Chev. pickup because at 61 y.o. I wanted to focus on Nostalgia drag racing and possibly retire from work in the next 2 years. I could not see myself doing a refresh on the Holdens in the hope of getting more money further down the track so they went as is. The Chev was a long term project but the registration authorities over here kept moving the goalposts so I lost interest in it. I've still got my HA/GR drag car and the CB750 Drag bike I'm building.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. clem

clem

32SEDAN, Stogy, Dave Mc and 1 other person like this.
  21. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

You are the man! You have done well in life.

22. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I am so sorry for your loss of your son. I have been terrified for years that I might lose one of mine to a battle with drugs. I feel that if that happened my love for building all of my cars will not matter any more and will end even though its such an important part of my life as my family is more important to me than anything . You and your wife are inspirational, the way you picked up and carried on.

vetteguy402, 32SEDAN, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  23. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

$_59.jpg Found this so called project on local for sale sight which gives new meaning to the term basket case or some assembly required.

24. Sporty45

Sporty45

Just the one, but it's getting there...slowly!
    IMG_20171126_151640206.jpg IMG_20180607_161300371.jpg IMG_20180623_120119946.jpg

vetteguy402, Chavezk21, TFoch and 3 others like this.
  25. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

My late wife use to ask me "When are you going to finish that car?" referring to a '70 Chevelle convertible I bought in '82. "Soon - when I retire." I retired from active duty in '89 & continued to buy & sell parts & cars. I did start to build her a '55 Pick-Up but cancer took here before it was finished in '04. My '34 roadster sat in the garage for 6 years before I finally decided she was right & contracted with a shop to build it - no regrets. I have had 10 surgeries since she died & looking at another in my right hand/wrist. Been practicing eating, wiping, key boarding with my left & it isn't working well. I have started to get rid of all the "stuff" I have left over plus my roadster & a couple of projects. I di finish the convertible & her truck. Have one OT almost finished & a project truck to go but my '51 Ford mild custom & '57 Sedan Delivery have to go. When your hands & legs don't work like they're supposed to, it's time to quit hoarding all the parts & projects that will never get finished. I'm cleaning out the garage, the shed, the "barn" & back yard.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    bct, clem, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  26. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

4 projects in the shed none of which I will finish. Have developed a pattern of sorts where I find interesting cars that once I buy them lose their luster so I end up making someone else's life better by putting them in their hands.
    A '57 Chevy left the shed this morning to a younger man brimming with confidence and optimism. His smile cut through the rain.
    I've never had a 'forever' car.Bought many I thought were but in the end had to leave.My avatar will most likely go even though I just got it home last Wednesday.1963 GT Hawk R2 4-speed with power disc brakes and steering.
    I have no issue with those who have buildings full of projects and enjoy the process of gathering parts and/or just like having them around..Those that do have a issue...the hoarder term is thrown around a lot...are usually just jealous.
    Someday I'll get another '55 Chevy 2 door sedan but it will have to be a running driving daily driver rough around the edges type. No show cars for me.Hate cleaning the dang things.
    I am most happy buying and selling parts.Small treasures I can buy and sell as a hobby.
    However someone enjoys the hot rod or old car hobby is their business.

27. I brought it down to Prescott with me but sold it soon after I got here to a guy I know in Kansas City because I didn't have my extra workshop built yet. He hasn't finished it yet either. I couldn't see letting it sit outside even though it needed a total restoration, it was a solid no rust Nomad and I was pretty sure I could never get that one done. It was a rare moment of sanity for me! I always liked two door wagons even more so I thought I could buy one with the $20K I sold the Nomad for. It took me several years to find my '56 Handyman wagon for more money but as usual I made it project and am doing the upgrades to make a better driver since it still had a 283 Powerglide and no A/C.

Stogy likes this.
  28. Thanks! I've loved cars since I was a kid. My main goal in life is to wake up every morning with a smile on my face and fall asleep the same way. As long as my old cars help me do that I'll have them.

34toddster, cactus1, triman62 and 3 others like this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What you gotta do is make sure to have your favorite mobile and roadworthy so you have something to pacify the loss of the others and use the dough earned to subsidize a nice road trip and live it up a bit...more...

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    Barrelnose pickup likes this.
  30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You've been through a lot. This story is yours but you are not alone. Your taking it standing tall I will say. I hope you can still enjoy some of the things that brought a smile to your face despite lifes twists and turns.